The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[speculation] M. Grigorenko may sign in the KHL

Didn't see this anywhere

http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-on-free-agents-trades-and-more-1.307528

Per Bob McKenzie

The Buffalo Sabres are waiting to see if there's validity to the speculation that soon-to-be restricted free agent Mikhail Grigorenko is signing a contract in the KHL.

Grigorenko, 21, is coming out of his three-year, entry-level contract with the Sabres, having played 25 NHL games this past season and 68 over the last three seasons. The Sabres initially indicated to the player at season's end they wanted to re-sign him but, for now anyway, were not prepared to give him a one-way contract.

There has since been talk Grigorenko will opt to return home to Russia and take a more lucrative offer in the KHL rather than contest for a spot on the Sabres on a two-way contract next season.

Buffalo messed up his development and really don't need him with Eichel, Reinhart and Girgensons

If he is looking for a one way contract maybe a team like NJ or Some city Coyotes make take a flyer on him. At the moment his value is low and with a new team he may just be able to turn around and salvage his career in N.A

Remember when this guy was touted as the #3 prospect in that draft class? lawl

Hahaha he was so hyped. He ended up in Nolan's doghouse by the years end. I think he can still turn things around, but it looks like he's gonna pull a Radulov instead.

Hahaha he was so hyped. He ended up in Nolan's doghouse by the years end. I think he can still turn things around, but it looks like he's gonna pull a Radulov instead.

Pull a Radulov? I don't think you are familiar with what Radulov did. If Grigorenko signed in the KHL it would be nothing like what Radulov did. Grigorenko hasn't proven anything in the NHL. Radulov in the 2 seasons he played with Nashville showed that he was already an NHL star in the making. The KHL saw his talent and offered him a huge amount of money and he bailed on Nashville he never finished his entry level contract. He was still under contract with Nashville Grigorenko is not. The Sabres just own his rights and im sure they wont even care if he leaves. Radulov left nashville with a huge void.

Lack for 31 and grigorenko? I know we don't need another project but he does have some serious upside

Hard to overlook the potential this guy has but ideally some AHL time would help him. I'd be OK with a trade involving Lack to get him.

Not sure why Tim Murray is trying to give him a two-way contract. He won't clear waivers anyways. Regardless, I doubt Grigorenko bolts. It's just a threat by their camp to get a one-way deal, or it's just pure speculation.

Grigorenko was put in a crap situation since day one anyways. Rushed into the NHL by Regier when he should have been in the Q, given bad minutes in Buffalo even when he was playing well, and having to deal with a poor coach like Ted Nolan who doesn't know how to handle skilled players (as evidenced throughout his career). I think he would thrive under Dan Bylsma, but we'll see if he sticks around. Tim Murray has been very unimpressive so far as GM though.

Wasn't there also speculation that he was actually 2 years older than he claims?

I hadn't heard that before.....Kind of like the Cuban baseball pitcher defectors with no actual birth certificates?

Pull a Radulov? I don't think you are familiar with what Radulov did. If Grigorenko signed in the KHL it would be nothing like what Radulov did. Grigorenko hasn't proven anything in the NHL. Radulov in the 2 seasons he played with Nashville showed that he was already an NHL star in the making. The KHL saw his talent and offered him a huge amount of money and he bailed on Nashville he never finished his entry level contract. He was still under contract with Nashville Grigorenko is not. The Sabres just own his rights and im sure they wont even care if he leaves. Radulov left nashville with a huge void.

No I know what happened there, I just meant leaving to Russia before he can blossom in the NHL. Probably could've used a better example though, sorry. It sucks to see Grigorenko go so early in his career though, kid has potential,

Unsurprising considering how Buffalo has treated him and his development. Although with Eichel coming in I'm sure they don't really care.

Archived