The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring Edmonton's 16th overall pick/Acquiring picks.

Making this short and easy read.

Vancouver Canucks trade: Our 2015 1st round pick, Alexander Grenier.

In exchange for...

Edmonton Oilers trade: 2015 16th overall pick.

Why do we do this?

Basically just a move to draft higher and a chance to pick a better player in the mids. We can afford to lose Grenier as he is easily expandable however will miss his big body.

Why do the Oilers do this?

After picking Connor McDavid, the Oilers can focus on picking an organizational need such as d-man or get a player that will become a future 2nd/3rd liner that gives balance up and down their future lines such as a grinder like Paul Bittner, or a natural scorer like Brock Boeser who has top 6 potential.

Second Trade Partner: Tampa Bay Lightning.

Vancouver Canucks trade: Chris Higgins.

In exchange for...

Tampa Bay Lightning trade: 2015 2nd round pick.

Why do we do this?

With guys like Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Virtanen, hell even McCann trying to fight for spots next year, the most logical way to make room for them would be to move a veteran. Higgins has a nice, sweet contract and puts up 40 points consistently and can still do it at age 32. However, last season wasn't his best season and you would think he's only going to get a little worse from here on out.

Why do the Bolts do this?

With the prospect cupboard full with guys like Drouin and etc, losing a 2nd round pick isn't that bad of a deal considering they are now a playoff team and need veteran guys like Higgins to help out their young core. Would be a very nice fitting addition into their line-up.

I can't say for others, but from this last year and the playoff run, Grenier looks like a very likely NHL player to me. His ceiling is low; probably a 3rd liner, but it seems very well within his reach.

I can't say for others, but from this last year and the playoff run, Grenier looks like a very likely NHL player to me. His ceiling is low; probably a 3rd liner, but it seems very well within his reach.

Still not enough tho. Although... it is the Oilers.

Eddie Lack + Corrado (if they deem him excessive over Adam and Weber) for the 16th.

If the news is true, then Lack plus a solid young defender may be enough to pry the 1st rounder away IMO. They're planning to pay up for Talbot (21-9-4, with 5 S.O.), but I can't help but think that, like Fasth (15-6, 4 S.O., 2.18 G.A.A., 0.921 S%), his success may be a product of the good team in front of him. Lack has played decently well as the starter as well and I think he could handle the pressure of back-stopping a team.

Archived