The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[2015 NHL Draft] Right Winger @ 23?

Looking at the prospect pipeline, increased depth on the right wing would be a welcome sight.

While it's quite obvious that the Canucks will obviously be looking for that next core defenseman, there are a few right wing prospects that may well be available at 23 that could have a huge impact on the system. BPA, remember?

1. Brock Boeser
    Strong offensive right winger that makes a difference at both ends of the ice. Great hands, shot, and skating ability, and reads the game very well.
    [NHL Comparable: Patrick Sharp]

2. Zachary Senyshyn
    A finesse guy who has the speed and creativity to make fantastic plays in the offensive zone, but still plays with a competitive edge. Likes to direct plays and sees the game a step ahead of many other players.
    [NHL Comparable: James Neal]

3. Jens Looke
    A gutsy playmaking winger who likes attention. Terrific puckhandling ability and exhibits a hard, accurate release on his shot. Smart in his own end, and defensively proactive. Strong two-way game.
    [NHL Comparable: T.J. Oshie]

4. Denis Guryanov
    A complete power winger with a strong understanding of the game. He is able to smell blood in the water, and knows exactly when a turnover or switch of puck possession is going to occur. Defensively active and hounds the opposition in his own zone for the puck. Offensively dynamic with an elite NHL release on his shot and the hands and creativity that turns heads.
    [NHL Comparable: Jaromir Jagr (2011 -???)]

5. Evgeny Svechnikov
    Complete offensive package. Playmaker's eye paired with exceptional goal scorer's instincts. He thinks the game quickly and chooses the best option for scoring chances in turn. Is strong on his skates and accelerates quickly. Gets involved physically, but there is room for even more physical maturity.
    [NHL Comparable: Filip Forsberg]

These are some decent players, however if you're going by BPA I'm fairly certain there will be some better players available at every other position by the time 23 rolls around.

Out of all of these I'm probably most of fond of Svechnikov, though I'm not keen on taking a Russian in the first round.

These are some decent players, however if you're going by BPA I'm fairly certain there will be some better players available at every other position by the time 23 rolls around.

Out of all of these I'm probably most of fond of Svechnikov, though I'm not keen on taking a Russian in the first round.

What's wrong with taking a Russian in the first round? He came all the way to North America to play in the QMJHL so he could get drafted into the NHL so I don't think he's going to be bolting anytime soon if that's what you're implying.

If we took Zach Senyshyn at 23, I'd flip.

Riskiest out of all of them.

Huge ceiling.

He'd be a unique player: size, speed, but a mindset of a small guy who likes to grind it out.

He has a high high ceiling; if he becomes a Canucks, we'll ahve to see how he develops.

I HAVE MY DRAFT TICKETS!!!

What's wrong with taking a Russian in the first round? He came all the way to North America to play in the QMJHL so he could get drafted into the NHL so I don't think he's going to be bolting anytime soon if that's what you're implying.

So did Grigorenko and there's talk of him heading back to the K already.

Its simply a risk that must be factored in. I don't fault Russian players for it, but unless they are the clear-cut best player available, I'm hesitant on taking them with a first rounder. Its very easy to see how playing at home for a better contract and better ice time has more appeal to it than fighting for a spot in a foreign country on a two-way contract. Even superstars have gone back to Russia. Its something that needs to be taken into account.

So did Grigorenko and there's talk of him heading back to the K already.

Its simply a risk that must be factored in. I don't fault Russian players for it, but unless they are the clear-cut best player available, I'm hesitant on taking them with a first rounder. Its very easy to see how playing at home for a better contract and better ice time has more appeal to it than fighting for a spot in a foreign country on a two-way contract. Even superstars have gone back to Russia. Its something that needs to be taken into account.

You make a good point. I suppose that's why Benning is going after character guys who want to play in the NHL.

I wish all Russians have the same mindset towards playing in the NHL and winning the Stanley Cup as the stereotypical "Good Ole Canadian Boy"

You make a good point. I suppose that's why Benning is going after character guys who want to play in the NHL.

I wish all Russians have the same mindset towards playing in the NHL and winning the Stanley Cup as the stereotypical "Good Ole Canadian Boy"

Simply put, there just isn't as much fanfare towards the NHL and the Stanley Cup in Russia compared to North America. They have their own league, with their own trophy.

They recognize the NHL as the superior league, and that's why they still come to play here, but when the "superior league" pays you less, with less ice time, and you have a chance to play for your hometown's team you watched as a kid, and they want to pay you big bucks, I'd take the latter.

Look at it like this: if the KHL was the #1 pro league, and they offered you 3 million to play 14 minutes a night, but your hometown team chicoutmi is offering you 5 million to play 17 minutes a night, you take the latter, even though you could still go over seas and play the best players in the world.

Archived