The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Season Ticket Holder Town Hall

firestorm238

From HF

Asked about term for Dorsett and Sbisa:

Willie says they're great guys for the team. Dorsett makes teammates better by making other team accountable. Believes Sbisa has big upside. "How bad do you want to be a player?" Luca is watching his shifts and studying how to get better.

Jim: Dorsett is a culture character who they want young guys rubbing elbows with. Helped develop Bo from the beginning of the year. Wants him to help confidence of younger players.

On Sbisa, after next season he is a free agent (along with Hamhuis and Bieksa). Due to lack of defenseman prospects and depth he felt it was paramount to lock him up in case we lose Hamhuis or Bieksa. Talks about how Sbisa and Dorsett lead team in hits and play with emotion to hit someone and make it exciting for the fans.

On Kassian again:
Willie doesn't believe in just giving Kassian a top 6 role. Wants him to earn it. Was pencilled in originally but his play didn't warrant it.

There's a lot more that y2k put.

I couldn't attend.

You guys accuse me of being negative, but it's Benning who's saying this stupid $&!#.

And if you're so scared of hamhuis or bieksa leaving.. why not re-sign hamhuis? You know, the hometown guy who played on team Canada?

I also watch a lot of video, does that mean I can get a 3.6 million dollar contract?

There's a lot more that y2k put.

I couldn't attend.

You guys accuse me of being negative, but it's Benning who's saying this stupid crap.

And if you're so scared of hamhuis or bieksa leaving.. why not re-sign hamhuis? You know, the hometown guy who played on team Canada?

I also watch a lot of video, does that mean I can get a 3.6 million dollar contract?

If you watch video, play 15 minutes a game and hit like a wrecking ball you might.

All I hear is how our team isn't physical enough. Yet the one of the few d-men that is physical people crucify the guy.

Sbisa just needs to learn when to make the hit, he's learning, and he did improve his play during the season.

Montreal just signed Petry for $5.5 million a season, who had 22 points and -28.

Sbisa was -8, 11 points, but slightly more hits, at $1.9 million less.

From HF

Willie says they're great guys for the team. Dorsett makes teammates better by making other team accountable. Believes Sbisa has big upside. "How bad do you want to be a player?" Luca is watching his shifts and studying how to get better.

Jim: Dorsett is a culture character who they want young guys rubbing elbows with. Helped develop Bo from the beginning of the year. Wants him to help confidence of younger players.

On Sbisa, after next season he is a free agent (along with Hamhuis and Bieksa). Due to lack of defenseman prospects and depth he felt it was paramount to lock him up in case we lose Hamhuis or Bieksa. Talks about how Sbisa and Dorsett lead team in hits and play with emotion to hit someone and make it exciting for the fans.

On Kassian again:

Willie doesn't believe in just giving Kassian a top 6 role. Wants him to earn it. Was pencilled in originally but his play didn't warrant it.

Here is a bit more information from today's "morning skate" in the Province (by Erik Rolfsen):

I wasn’t at the event, but gleaned what I could from the live-tweeters. Maybe I just follow a particularly tough crowd, but it didn’t seem like GM Jim Benning’s explanations were going over very well. As far as I could gather, Benning made a few noteworthy points:

He wants to keep Ryan Miller, because when Miller is on his game it gives the team confidence. ...

I made a thread a few days ago in which I predicted the Canucks would miss the playoffs next year. While some people agreed I think a majority did not. And I was feeling a bit guilty about maybe being too negative.

However, Benning has restored my faith in my prediction of a playoff miss. I still really like what Benning has done with the propsect pipeline and I admit he has good track record as a judge of young talent.

But the contracts baffle me. I get that he likes the culture and attitude provided by Sbisa and Dorsett and he likes having a veteran goalie around. By why overpay. He signed all three deals very quickly and the player agents must have been surprised to get what they were asking for. Also, while I like Tanev, I think the cap hit was too high. (I think $4 mill would have been about right, so the actual cap hit of $4.45 m is only a small overpayment in percentage terms). And, although Vrbata worked out well, based on his track record when the contract was signed that contract was pretty rich as well.

The result is zero cap room next year. Actually, right now the Canucks have negative cap room in the sense that they have 17 guys under contract for 65.8 million. They will have between 3 and 4 million for other 6 guys they need on the 23 man roster. That is probably not enough room even if all 6 guys are paid the NHL minimum. So someone needs to go just to allow the team fill slots with young low-price guys. (So let's not waste time talking about the free agent market for established players.) It is certainly not enough qualify their RFAs, let along actually sign them. (The RFAs are Weber, Clendening, Corrado, Markstrom, Baertschi, Kenins, Vey, and Stanton.)

If was assume that Stanton goes, Lack goes, and Markstrom is signed for his qualifying offer, which I think will be 1.4 million, things still do not add up.

Benning just doesn't have a clue about hockey. You give guys massive contracts cause they're team guys? Ok then. Better give Sedins and every other Canuck massive contracts cause they are all team guys too.

I've herd Benning say he's actually never watched a game of hockey in his life. The contracts aren't bad, look at the petry deal. Just wait to see what other GM'S do on FA

Stop the crying Tom... This is why our fanbase sucks.. All ppl ever do is complain!

I feel as though since we spend 30k on tickets every year, I'm allowed to have an input no?

I don't pay to see Sbisa.

You pay to see good hockey players. Yes we need to be more physical but not more stupid as well.

Also don't get me started on petry vs Sbisa lol

I feel as though since we spend 30k on tickets every year, I'm allowed to have an input no?

You pay to see good hockey players. Yes we need to be more physical but not more stupid as well.

The fanbase has issues for a myriad of reasons. The least of which are fans who can maintain an objective outlook.

Sbisa is not exciting, and the fact that Benning says he is disturbs me.

Here is a bit more information from today's "morning skate" in the Province (by Erik Rolfsen):

I wasnt at the event, but gleaned what I could from the live-tweeters. Maybe I just follow a particularly tough crowd, but it didnt seem like GM Jim Bennings explanations were going over very well. As far as I could gather, Benning made a few noteworthy points:

He wants to keep Ryan Miller, because when Miller is on his game it gives the team confidence. ...

I made a thread a few days ago in which I predicted the Canucks would miss the playoffs next year. While some people agreed I think a majority did not. And I was feeling a bit guilty about maybe being too negative.

However, Benning has restored my faith in my prediction of a playoff miss. I still really like what Benning has done with the propsect pipeline and I admit he has good track record as a judge of young talent.

But the contracts baffle me. I get that he likes the culture and attitude provided by Sbisa and Dorsett and he likes having a veteran goalie around. By why overpay. He signed all three deals very quickly and the player agents must have been surprised to get what they were asking for. Also, while I like Tanev, I think the cap hit was too high. (I think $4 mill would have been about right, so the actual cap hit of $4.45 m is only a small overpayment in percentage terms). And, although Vrbata worked out well, based on his track record when the contract was signed that contract was pretty rich as well.

The result is zero cap room next year. Actually, right now the Canucks have negative cap room in the sense that they have 17 guys under contract for 65.8 million. They will have between 3 and 4 million for other 6 guys they need on the 23 man roster. That is probably not enough room even if all 6 guys are paid the NHL minimum. So someone needs to go just to allow the team fill slots with young low-price guys. (So let's not waste time talking about the free agent market for established players.) It is certainly not enough qualify their RFAs, let along actually sign them. (The RFAs are Weber, Clendening, Corrado, Markstrom, Baertschi, Kenins, Vey, and Stanton.)

If was assume that Stanton goes, Lack goes, and Markstrom is signed for his qualifying offer, which I think will be 1.4 million, things still do not add up.

A couple things.

Tanev under any stretch of the imagination was not an overpayment. He is without a doubt the best defensemen on the team. He is not a #1 Dman but he is a very solid 2 or 3.

And also the cap is going up next year and I will put $20 dollars on it. I think it's clear that we will be making moves at the draft and honestly the FA Crop is pretty bare this year. Next year we get Bieksa, hammer, Vrby, the sedins( I think not sure). All of these players will take a paycut with the exception maybe being vrbata. Next year there are a lot of good free agents

Even if we had stamkos or patty kane you'd still find a way to complain about them and how contract sucks and cry cry cry

Benning just doesn't have a clue about hockey. You give guys massive contracts cause they're team guys? Ok then. Better give Sedins and every other Canuck massive contracts cause they are all team guys too.

How much do you pay to get your Stanley cup ring polished? oh wait...thats Bennings, not yours

From HF

On Kassian again:

Kassian top 6 role..really? He'll be lucky if hes even in the lineup

Archived