The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Season Ticket Holder Town Hall

firestorm238

If you watch video, play 15 minutes a game and hit like a wrecking ball you might.

All I hear is how our team isn't physical enough. Yet the one of the few d-men that is physical people crucify the guy.

Sbisa just needs to learn when to make the hit, he's learning, and he did improve his play during the season.

Montreal just signed Petry for $5.5 million a season, who had 22 points and -28.

Sbisa was -8, 11 points, but slightly more hits, at $1.9 million less.

Hitting is such a bull$&!# reason to defend sbisa when he's awful in all other areas. How much did that hitting help against Calgary?! How much hitting did the hawks and lightning do?! We need speed and skill, not brutes whose only skill is hitting!

Hitting is such a bull reason to defend sbisa when he's awful in all other areas. How much did that hitting help against Calgary?! How much hitting did the hawks and lightning do?! We need speed and skill, not brutes whose only skill is hitting!

A lot. Winning teams need depth in all areas.

Definitely important to have one or two guys on your team that can hit and will be up near the top guys in the NHL in hitting.

Pointing out team stats is pretty useless since you'd need to have a team full of one dimensional physical players to lead the league in team hitting, which goes completely against my point of you need depth in all areas to win.

Guys like Seabrook, Callaghan, Boyle and Bickell were all helpful players.

A couple things.

Tanev under any stretch of the imagination was not an overpayment. He is without a doubt the best defensemen on the team. He is not a #1 Dman but he is a very solid 2 or 3.

And also the cap is going up next year and I will put $20 dollars on it. I think it's clear that we will be making moves at the draft and honestly the FA Crop is pretty bare this year. Next year we get Bieksa, hammer, Vrby, the sedins( I think not sure). All of these players will take a paycut with the exception maybe being vrbata. Next year there are a lot of good free agents

Agree with all you said. Only minor note is sedins are locked in for another 3 seasons I believe at their current cap hit

Sure I don't trust the hitting stats because they're usually inflated but even the eye test would tell you outside of a few players the hawks aren't a hitting team. Go look at how many hits that monster Duncan Keith racks up.

Speed and skill wins you a cup not &^@#ing meat and potatoes. God I was hyped when Benning was first hired but he's been such a disappointment since when he's actually had to make decisions. The sbisa signing is indefensible. I don't care if hamius and Bieksa leave as a Ufa. A player of sbisa's calibre is a dime a dozen player on the free agent market and can be had for less. That reasoning to sign sbisa makes no logical sense.

Sure I don't trust the hitting stats because they're usually inflated but even the eye test would tell you outside of a few players the hawks aren't a hitting team. Go look at how many hits that monster Duncan Keith racks up.

Speed and skill wins you a cup not ???? meat and potatoes. God I was hyped when Benning was first hired but he's been such a disappointment since when he's actually had to make decisions. The sbisa signing is indefensible. I don't care if hamius and Bieksa leave as a Ufa. A player of sbisa's calibre is a dime a dozen player on the free agent market and can be had for less. That reasoning to sign sbisa makes no logical sense.

Keith doesn't hit much but Seabrook does. Like I said, you need depth in all areas. More depth in skill is preferable.

A couple things.

Tanev under any stretch of the imagination was not an overpayment. He is without a doubt the best defensemen on the team. He is not a #1 Dman but he is a very solid 2 or 3.

And also the cap is going up next year and I will put $20 dollars on it. I think it's clear that we will be making moves at the draft and honestly the FA Crop is pretty bare this year. Next year we get Bieksa, hammer, Vrby, the sedins( I think not sure). All of these players will take a paycut with the exception maybe being vrbata. Next year there are a lot of good free agents

I agree that a team would be happy with Tanev at the #3 slot. If he is #2 (as he was last year on the Canucks) then the D is probably not good enough for any kind of playoff run.

I know he was voted by fans as the best D on the team last year, but there is no way he would command as much in the market as Edler. Edler is a much more valuable player.

Tanev is very good positionally in his own end and makes a very good first pass. And he blocks a lot of shots. But he contributes nothing to the physical game and very little offensively. Defensive D's who are not physical rarely get paid big money. Edler is obviously much better offensively and can contribute to the physical game, in addition to being able to carry the puck.

So I like Tanev but I think he is being paid more than he would have gotten in arbitration.

When you always have the puck, you don't have to hit to get it back.

So the lesson here to Mr. Benning is to get speedy skill guys that can take hits, not necessarily dish them out.

Have one or two guys who can really lay in, but the primary thing is speed. There's no need to separate the man from the puck with a hit if your team is so fast they can just take it away.

If you watch video, play 15 minutes a game and hit like a wrecking ball you might.

All I hear is how our team isn't physical enough. Yet the one of the few d-men that is physical people crucify the guy.

Sbisa just needs to learn when to make the hit, he's learning, and he did improve his play during the season.

Montreal just signed Petry for $5.5 million a season, who had 22 points and -28.

Sbisa was -8, 11 points, but slightly more hits, at $1.9 million less.

Just an opinion on Sbisa...

He'd be better if he was not the guy on a pairing routinely asked to handle the puck. The same is sometimes said of Bieksa. Hence the problem with the pairing?

Luca makes most of his mistakes trying to fly around our defensive net with the puck, and cut up ice to break out. He has the speed, but blows a tire a few too many times. He's fine when he sits in the corner and takes a relief pass from someone else gathering the puck who is under pressure, then passes up ice himself.

What we really need is someone other than Tanev on the right side who can beat guys to pucks and clear it before pressure sets up. (Hamhuis does this on the left side). We will be better off when Corrado and Clendenning come in, assuming they are developed and composed as advertised. Once Luca is back to a role because we obtain guys, lets face it the team needs them, who can handle the puck;

A speedy, physical D such as Sbisa will be a very good asset.

Interesting that Zack was pencilled in as top line forward.

Also very interesting that the comment surfaced that he did not cut it. That's a little too public an admission IMO. I suppose its better to be honest than the alternate. Safer to leave it hanging just a bit, hypothetically; "Zack was and will be offered a chance to win a top 6 role!''

Fans can derive their own derivation without actually knowing Zack was a bit of a disappointment. :huh:

Just an opinion on Sbisa...

He'd be better if he was not the guy on a pairing routinely asked to handle the puck. The same is sometimes said of Bieksa. Hence the problem with the pairing?

Luca makes most of his mistakes trying to fly around our defensive net with the puck, and cut up ice to break out. He has the speed, but blows a tire a few too many times. He's fine when he sits in the corner and takes a relief pass from someone else gathering the puck who is under pressure, then passes up ice himself.

What we really need is someone other than Tanev on the right side who can beat guys to pucks and clear it before pressure sets up. (Hamhuis does this on the left side). We will be better off when Corrado and Clendenning come in, assuming they are developed and composed as advertised. Once Luca is back to a role because we obtain guys, lets face it the team needs them, who can handle the puck;

A speedy, physical D such as Sbisa will be a very good asset.

Yeah definitely assuming Clendenning is the hope here, he was lauded for speed and playmaking ability. Your analysis of Sbisa is spot on, btw.

Speed and skill wins you a cup not ???? meat and potatoes. God I was hyped when Benning was first hired but he's been such a disappointment since when he's actually had to make decisions. The sbisa signing is indefensible. I don't care if hamius and Bieksa leave as a Ufa. A player of sbisa's calibre is a dime a dozen player on the free agent market and can be had for less. That reasoning to sign sbisa makes no logical sense.

We have speed and skill.

Skinkaruk

Baertschi

Horvat

Virtanen

Subban

McCann

But I hate to break it to you the Canucks need Meat and Potatoes because thats how you get past LA and ANA. CHI gets past them because they for some dumb reason change there game to CHI's which is a skilled, fast paced game, yet can play a dirty, hard fought game. I mean we let one guy Ferland kick our whole teams ass in round 1 and you were all complaining that we weren't tough enough. Now that CHI won the recipe changes? WE NEED A MIX OF M&P as well as size, speed and skill.

M&P

Sbisa

Dorsett

Who else on our current roster?

Kassian and Bieksa?

Future M&P

Pedan

Tryamkin

Cassels (skill)

Virtanen ( Speed and Skill )

Horvat ( Speed and Skill )

Kenins ( speed )

Griener ( size , speed and skill )

Kassian ( size, skill )

Just Speed and Skill

Shinkaruk

Baertschi

Im hoping in the later rounds Benning takes a chance on small fast highly skilled forwards to add a few more

Archived