The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Season Ticket Holder Town Hall

firestorm238

awalk said " Keith doesn't hit much but Seabrook does. Surely you are not comparing Sbisa to Seabrook! Sbisa is not even in the same league!

hahahaha no I am definitely not. The point was entirely that winning teams have depth in all areas. He was saying the Blackhawks don't hit much...I agree that as a team they aren't overly physical, but they have players - like Seabrook - who can play very physical that contribute. Sbisa would be more comparable to Bickell, a depth, character guy who brings physicality and can hang with the big boys in the NHL

PS if you want to quote someone so that their post is in your post, just hit the quote button on the bottom right of their post.

I think the new management probably had their eyes opened WIDE when Calgary tossed them out. Whatever backburner plans to rebuild they had before were probably put in the broiler.

But if the coach insists on getting more vets to try to scrounge out more wins... Ehhhhhhhh....

Wait, that doesn't make any sense, he insisted on getting Vey. This team is very confusing. Might be part of why the fans are frustrated.

It's very interesting right now. Canucks fans are typically fickle and frustrated but right now it seems like there's more confusion and contention among the fans and the writers than normal. I wonder if it's a good thing that we're so confused? hahaha

There is no confusion. We should have beaten the flames. I thought we'd win in 5, seriously believed it. Got outcoached and outplayed hard.

More so proves this team can't do it. Twins showed up, Horvat showed up, edler and Tanev showed up. Lack was better than Hiller in the first three games he played. The fourth game &^@#ed his stats up.

Everyone else was $&!#. Even my love Richardson didn't show enough. (still needs to be re-signed)

There is no confusion. We should have beaten the flames. I thought we'd win in 5, seriously believed it. Got outcoached and outplayed hard.

More so proves this team can't do it. Twins showed up, Horvat showed up, edler and Tanev showed up. Lack was better than Hiller in the first three games he played. The fourth game fracked his stats up.

Everyone else was crap. Even my love Richardson didn't show enough. (still needs to be re-signed)

You're not confused about what Benning and co is doing right now? I'd say you're in the minority at this point.

awalk said " Keith doesn't hit much but Seabrook does. Surely you are not comparing Sbisa to Seabrook! Sbisa is not even in the same league!

Actually Seabrook and Sbisa are in the same league -- the National Hockey League.

However, I agree that Seabrook is a much better player than Sbisa and there is no way Sbisa would ever play the role on the Canucks that Seabrook plays on Chicago.

1. That the Canucks were punked in the first round is not management's fault -- some perhaps on the coach, but most of the players simply did not show up.

2. The irony here about "upset fans" is if the team DID do a blow-up-and-rebuild they'd be just as upset with a garbage season, whether now or in the next year (not to mention more to follow). A half a bad season under Torts and the bandwagon lightened immediately. Absolutely zero patience and a no-win situation, and that's why management is doing THEIR plan and sticking to it.

You're not confused about what Benning and co is doing right now? I'd say you're in the minority at this point.

Not particularly. I hear their rationale and see definite progress, and we'll see if/how it all pans out. Calling them out as having no hockey knowledge or clue as to what they're doing as some are here after ONE YEAR (not to mention a 100-point season) is the height of arrogance and frankly laughable.

I think the confusion arises from the dual goals -- we are going to rebuild a Cup contender AND we are going to make the playoffs every year.

The chances of that happening are pretty much zero. As has been extensively documented, pretty much all the Stanley Cup finalists in recent years have been built around high draft picks -- and that includes the Canucks -- who were built around the Sedins, picked at #2 and #3.

The only real exception is Detroit in their prime, built around Datsuyk (6th round), Zetterberg (7th round) and Lidstrom (3rd round). But draft prep is much better now than it was 15 years ago or even 10 years ago. Those late round stars were always rare and will get even more rare as time goes on. Counting on that kind of draft success is like counting on winning a lottery to pay your mortgage.

The issue showed up at the trade deadline, where the Canucks were not strong enough contenders to bother acquiring players and were not bad enough to trade some rentals for draft picks. The missed a great opportunity, for example, to get a good pick for Matthias. He would have been worth at least a second round pick, quite likely a first round pick, or maybe a 2nd and 3rd. Now Benning is struggling just to get a second round pick for Eddie Lack, who is obviously a much more valuable player.

But it is hard to acquire picks just before the draft (and easy to get good picks at the trade deadline).

As I have argued in other threads, I think this is the year to get serious about rebuilding. The Canucks have guys who will be very good assets at the deadline -- Vrbata, Hammer, and Bieksa will all be UFAs. And other potential trades will also be available at that stage. The Canucks have a lot of good players in the pipeline right now -- guys who will help the team a lot 2 or 3 years down the road. With a blockbuster draft in 2016 the Canucks might be able to contend for a Cup again in a few years.

There's a lot more that y2k put.

I couldn't attend.

You guys accuse me of being negative, but it's Benning who's saying this stupid crap.

And if you're so scared of hamhuis or bieksa leaving.. why not re-sign hamhuis? You know, the hometown guy who played on team Canada?

I also watch a lot of video, does that mean I can get a 3.6 million dollar contract?

Who cares if hamhuis played for team Canada. He was horrible last season. His passes made me want to punch a puppie. Over and Over he turned over the puck and missed assignments.

But hey.....he played for team Canada

Not particularly. I hear their rationale and see definite progress, and we'll see if/how it all pans out. Calling them out as having no hockey knowledge or clue as to what they're doing as some are here after ONE YEAR (not to mention a 100-point season) is the height of arrogance and frankly laughable.

Who's doing that? (Well probably everyone on the radio I guess mmhaa)

I'm actually not making any claims either way, I'm kind of bemusedly watching from afar as Canucks fans run around and tear their hair out. Just seems like more confusion about what is going on than usual these days.

I think the major reason why everyone seems so frustrated and really wants to blow up the team is because of the first round loss to Calgary. Had we missed the playoffs, people would have said "well we expected this to happen, just a continuation of the torts era" etc. Missing the playoffs in a tight western conference is not the worst thing in the world.

It is easier to miss the playoffs than lose in the first round to a beatable team, and I think that is why everyone is so upset. We played 2 good games that series and the rest left something to be desired. The fact we seemed intimidated and lost to a team of teenagers really got the bitterness rolling lol. Losing in the playoffs leaves a sting of remembering that series for the rest of the summer. Everyone seems increasingly bitter because of it.

I am more for waiting until the 2017 season to reserve my judgement. I will still enjoy watching this core compete, last year during the regular season they provided me plenty of entertainment and always seemed to bounce back well even with injuries etc.

I'm glad we made the playoffs and then lost to Calgary. If we had missed the playoffs, our deficiencies would not have been as clear. Losing to a bunch of teenagers and the human bowling ball (Ferland) showed how inadequate our D is and how they can't get out of their own end with an outlet pass when pressured with an aggressive forecheck. That's useful information for Benning and Linden. Surely they can now see what all of CDC sees (and more).

The fanbase has issues for a myriad of reasons. The least of which are fans who can maintain an objective outlook.

Sbisa is not exciting, and the fact that Benning says he is disturbs me.

30 k on tickets and you didnt notice sbisa led all D with hits. ....i see

All the dreamers here around deadline day couldn't see past the fact that this team was never going to make an impact in the playoffs.

A few posters here are right, Benning missed a trick in not trading Matthias (and possibly Higgins) around that time.

We'd be sitting here talking about who we're going to pick with our second rounder.

Matthias is going to walk this summer and get paid a substantial wage. It's not great business sense letting an asset go for nothing.

But hey, at least we made the playoffs and got shown up by the Flames right?

Benning just doesn't have a clue about hockey. You give guys massive contracts cause they're team guys? Ok then. Better give Sedins and every other Canuck massive contracts cause they are all team guys too.

You have to understand what Benning is trying to do here. Keeping character guys like Dorset, Hammer Sedins is for guiding the youth and directing them to be a professional player and will benifit us in the long run. We are a while away from contending so let management do its thing and judge in the future, at least wait til the draft is done and see what kinda moves we make.

Sure I don't trust the hitting stats because they're usually inflated but even the eye test would tell you outside of a few players the hawks aren't a hitting team. Go look at how many hits that monster Duncan Keith racks up.

Speed and skill wins you a cup not ???? meat and potatoes. God I was hyped when Benning was first hired but he's been such a disappointment since when he's actually had to make decisions. The sbisa signing is indefensible. I don't care if hamius and Bieksa leave as a Ufa. A player of sbisa's calibre is a dime a dozen player on the free agent market and can be had for less. That reasoning to sign sbisa makes no logical sense.

Upside, thats Bennings reasoning. Hes the GM, he deserves time for his plan to unfold.

Prior to Horvat I believed in Gaunce. Still think he is the second most dependable prospect/young guy in org behind bogod

I think Cassels will surprise you and makes the big club or gets the call and sticks. This man has talent and grit and will be a core player for us in the near future.

Trevor Linden and Jim Benning with the new coach bought exactly one year of patience.

Poof! It's over.

And in their 1 year they did a pretty dam good job. Got us into the play offs, injected some youth in our line up and added key guys to our pipeline. I dont understand what you people expect. At least allow this off season to play out and hopefully see more improvement and additions, as long as we progress forward, keep getting younger and faster then what is there to complain about..........Oh right its Vancouver, we complain about everything.

All the dreamers here around deadline day couldn't see past the fact that this team was never going to make an impact in the playoffs.

A few posters here are right, Benning missed a trick in not trading Matthias (and possibly Higgins) around that time.

We'd be sitting here talking about who we're going to pick with our second rounder.

Matthias is going to walk this summer and get paid a substantial wage. It's not great business sense letting an asset go for nothing.

But hey, at least we made the playoffs and got shown up by the Flames right?

If Benning had traded Matthias and Higgins at the deadline for future picks...that would have had a pretty negative effect on the rest of the squad..imo..What would you be saying to the team and season ticket holders..?...That,you the GM have no confidence in your current roster going in..?..That would have a pretty bad trickle down effect.

In hindsight, trading Matthias was absolutely the right thing to do (than just let him walk),...but I can also see the reasons why Benning didn't.

No confusion. He's just incapable.

He seriously believes being a 10-6 seed for the next three years is a viable option for this franchise.

I'm willing to give the drafting a couple of years. But he has to realize that his scouting is the thing he's tooted his own horn about to the media since he's got here. So if within three years we're sitting here with nothing to show - it'll be such a disappointment. And this goes with more than just his drafts. Pedan, Vey, Clendening, and Baertschi all have to show up. That's two 2nds, a 3rd, and a 4th.

Archived