The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Season Ticket Holder Town Hall

firestorm238

And Martin St. Louis says undrafted players make it too. Maybe we just shouldn't bother drafting anybody.

Statistically speaking, for every Weber and Keith there's 10 or so guys you've never heard of drafted in the second round. I'd bet good money that Baerschi turns into a better player than whoever Calgary takes with the 53rd pick.

And Cam Barker was drafted third overall......

• From 1990 to 1999, about one-quarter of the players selected in the second round turned into NHL career players.

Those drafted in the third round and beyond are really up against it.

• From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players. That's about 12 percent.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/f/draft_success.htm

I guess most of them don't make it.

Shea Weber and Duncan Keith say 2nd rounders do make the NHL. And Zdeno Chara was picked in the third round.

Some are missing the point of the draft. Yes so what only 30% make it? The point of a draft is to see if you can find any steals and get lucky with a few picks. The more you have, the better chances you can have to hit on a true stud, kind of the reason they call it a draft lottery. Right now, our team lacks studs besides the Sedins, and they are in their mid 30's, and I would take the chance on getting draft picks, especially in such a deep draft year, and see if we can get lucky and steal someone after the first round.

Weber, Keith, Chara, Datsyuk, the list goes on, its not only first rounders who are given a shot.

Some are missing the point of the draft. Yes so what only 30% make it? The point of a draft is to see if you can find any steals and get lucky with a few picks. The more you have, the better chances you can have to hit on a true stud, kind of the reason they call it a draft lottery. Right now, our team lacks studs besides the Sedins, and they are in their mid 30's, and I would take the chance on getting draft picks, especially in such a deep draft year, and see if we can get lucky and steal someone after the first round.

Weber, Keith, Chara, Datsyuk, the list goes on, its not only first rounders who are given a shot.

If I was a betting man I wouldn't take the odds for getting a "star" player or even a 4th liner in the 2 or third round. Of course there's the odd exception...but that's what they are a rare and you don't go against the odds. This year is, so we're told, a deep draft so maybe the odds are a tad higher but I suspect marginally. I tend to get a laugh when posters after the draft are willing to fantasize over every pick ( generally unseen ) Vcr makes. There was been a few recent surpise additions, Cassels in the third round was a lucky pick, Corrado in the 5th and Bieska/Hansen were lower than that..but think of all the players that didn't make it after Vcr drafted them

Archived