The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman found dead, with wrists and ankles bound, in shopping cart in Edmonton

Dazzle

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/%E2%80%98she-was-blue-she-was-gone%E2%80%99-witnesses-find-woman-dead-in-shopping-cart-in-inglewood-alley/ar-BBld1B3

EDMONTON - A young woman was found dead, ankles and wrists bound, in a shopping cart early Tuesday in an Inglewood alleyway, witnesses say.

Orlando and his sister Alysia Mcgilvery were hanging out with a few friends in their backyard about 1 a.m. when two men walked down the alleyway north of 113th Avenue at 124th Street and asked them to call police.

They said there was “a dead body two doors down from us,” Orlando said.

He hadn’t heard any screaming or a commotion, but when he and his friends went to check, they found the woman lying in the cart, face up. He said she looked to be in her 20s.

The friends checked her pulse and she was cold, Orlando said.

“She was blue. She was gone,” Alysia said.

“It’s very traumatizing to see that. It’s not something I wanted to see. ... It’s good that we found her, but it shouldn’t have been that way. That girl had a long life ahead of her.”

Staff Sgt. Colin Leathem said west division officers were called to the area just after 1 a.m. Paramedics pronounced the woman dead at the scene.

Police later confirmed that the woman’s body was bound and left in a shopping cart.

Homicide detectives are investigating.

Later Tuesday morning, someone had draped a red tarp over the shopping cart which was tucked beneath an overhanging tree behind a garage.

Several investigators surrounded the cart at one point to take pictures, as other officers held up the red tarp to obscure the scene.

Police placed yellow evidence placards along the alleyway, all the way up to 114th Avenue.

Police are not saying if a weapon was used.

Next of kin notifications have not yet been completed, police said.

An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.

oellwand@edmontonjournal.com

Twitter.com/otiena

This made me really sad.

Judging from how she was murdered, it appears that it was done as a statement to someone.

Gang related? Drug related?

Either way, I hope they find the people who did this and he/she/they rot in jail. Must have been horrific to see/smell/experience something like this.

Edmonton really is a dive. I can't wait to move back to the Lower mainland.

Are you familiar with the areas mentioned in this article?

Is this a "safe" area?

I'm also suspicious that the men asked those girls to call the police for them.

Anything's possible, but I doubt it.

If they had something to do with it, I doubt they would stick around or talk to strangers about what they had just done.

The report stated that the body was cold, so chances are she had been murdered several hours before that.

It's sad to see stuff like this happen, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was gang and/or drug related.

Are you familiar with the areas mentioned in this article?

Is this a "safe" area?

113th ave is a very seedy area. Think East Hastings but maybe with less drugs. It's where all the street walkers come out at night. I wonder if she was a prostitute actually. It is right close to Commonwealth Stadium.

I'm not too too familiar with Inglewood ( I live in South Edmonton) , but I know that it's close to the North west part of Edmonton kind of near Rexall place. In terms of crime, I'd wager a guess it's a lower income neighborhood so there's probably a lot.

Anything's possible, but I doubt it.

If they had something to do with it, I doubt they would stick around or talk to strangers about what they had just done.

The report stated that the body was cold, so chances are she had been murdered several hours before that.

It's sad to see stuff like this happen, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was gang and/or drug related.

113th ave is a very seedy area. Think East Hastings but maybe with less drugs. It's where all the street walkers come out at night. I wonder if she was a prostitute actually. It is right close to Commonwealth Stadium.

I'm not too too familiar with Inglewood ( I live in South Edmonton) , but I know that it's close to the North west part of Edmonton kind of near Rexall place. In terms of crime, I'd wager a guess it's a lower income neighborhood so there's probably a lot.

Nice to see these posts add some perspective into the situation.

You're right, Mustapha; she was most likely not killed at the scene, but dumped there afterward.

@Felixthecat - very interesting - she quite possibly was a prostitute herself. She definitely would've been more vulnerable to crime than any other, as common statistics would suggest.

113th Ave is considered a bad area then, more or less. Why would these two discoverers TOUCH the body? Like, really? That's disgusting.

I hope they ID this woman.

I live up in Clareview (North-East Edmonton), so I'm closer to the "high-crime" areas of Edmonton. Inglewood and anywhere east of that is gang-territory and very heavily saturated with homeless, drugs and crime particularly at night.

Anything between downtown and 137th Ave is "questionable" and ironically the closer you get to Rexall the higher chance you have of being murdered.

To put this into perspective, I used to outreach work in East Hastings around midnight and I felt completely comfortable. I wouldn't step outside my door after 9 pm if I lived anywhere in the area I mentioned in fear of being abducted, raped and murdered.

Archived