The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bowman: Saad will be a Hawk "for years to come"

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/17/bowman-vows-to-keep-saad-in-chicago-for-years-to-come/

Don't bother putting an offer sheet in front of Brandon Saad.

That's the message Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman has been sending, with a little help from the media, to his counterparts around the league.

Moments after the 'Hawks won the Stanley Cup on Monday, Bowman told reporters: "I just talked to [saad] right after we won. We gave a hug and I said, 'This is the first of many; we're going to win a lot together.' He gave me a big hug and said, 'Let's go.' So, no, he's going to be here. I don't think he would want to leave after this scene here."

Today, Bowman reiterated that message, all but guaranteeing he'd re-sign the 22-year-old pending restricted free agent who scored so many big goals for the 'Hawks during these past playoffs:

While Saad wasn't quite as certain as his GM, he clearly does want to be back:

In 2010, the 'Hawks matched the four-year, $14 million offer sheet that defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson signed with San Jose. Chicago had the option to receive the Sharks' first- and third-round draft picks in the 2011 draft as compensation. The decision to match ultimately led to the departure of free-agent goalie Antti Niemi (to San Jose, interestingly).

If the Blackhawks do end up signing Saad, they'll likely need to trade at least one of their veteran forwards. Patrick Sharp and Bryan Bickell have each had their names come up in speculation.

It's also not clear which, if any, pending unrestricted free agents will be back. Johnny Oduya, Antoine Vermette, Brad Richards, Andrew Desjardins and Michal Rozsival are all without contracts for next season.

There goes any silly rumours that the Hawks were going to trade Saad.

...so jealous of the Hawks. Have so much talent and when it climaxes and they're stuck with the salary cap, they trade guys and replenish picks and prospects from other teams. Over time, those picks/prospects pan out and the cycle continues revolving around a few permanent core players and the rest being revolving pieces. Byfuglien, Ladd, Leddy, Bolland, Frolik, Brouwer, Versteeg, etc. Now soon to possibly join that list are Sharp, Bickell, Versteeg...so unfair lol. Such a dominant organization.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/17/bowman-vows-to-keep-saad-in-chicago-for-years-to-come/

There goes any silly rumours that the Hawks were going to trade Saad.

...so jealous of the Hawks. Have so much talent and when it climaxes and they're stuck with the salary cap, they trade guys and replenish picks and prospects from other teams. Over time, those picks/prospects pan out and the cycle continues revolving around a few permanent core players and the rest being revolving pieces. Byfuglien, Ladd, Leddy, Bolland, Frolik, Brouwer, Versteeg, etc. Now soon to possibly join that list are Sharp, Bickell, Versteeg...so unfair lol. Such a dominant organization.

It's interesting to me that the class of the NHL in terms of how to run a team never seems to be a Canadian team. Why is that?

Chicago

Los Angeles

Detroit

For many years Colorado

It's interesting to me that the class of the NHL in terms of how to run a team never seems to be a Canadian team. Why is that?

Chicago

Los Angeles

Detroit

For many years Colorado

Before that, it was Dallas and New Jersey. You pretty much have to go back to the 80's Oilers to find a Canadian one.

Chicago

Los Angeles

Detroit

For many years Colorado

canadian fan bases and media make it impossible for teams to succeed.

most canadian markets won't stand behind a full rebuild, fans become too attached to players to support moving them at the height of their value, and owners are terrified that fans will abandon the team if they and their management groups make the tough decisions required to move forward.

add to that the fact that the vast majority of players that become ufas or have even a limited ntc will refuse to come to canadian markets due to fan and media scrutiny and higher taxation, and you have a recipe for almost certain failure.

^ I really do not buy the argument that it is the fault of the fans.

Fans are still going to Edmonton games in droves.

Fans still went to Calgary games in droves.

Fans are still going to Toronto games in droves.

I do not buy that it is the fault of the fans.

Now, the inability to sign FAs because of media scrutiny, less enjoyable living conditions, higher taxation, etc etc, THAT I buy. But that doesn't tell the whole story.

Before that, it was Dallas and New Jersey. You pretty much have to go back to the 80's Oilers to find a Canadian one.

Interesting, I had originally put Dallas and then deleted them because I didn't want someone to nitpick my post and say Dallas wasn't a "class of the NHL" team. I'm glad you agree. Had completely forgotten about NJ. Lou Lam really put that team to the top.

I can still see Saad and his agent waiting for the offer sheet window, just to see how big an offer they can get.

And I could see a very big offer coming from a team with lots of cap space - like Anaheim. They have 18 million to play with, and could easily throw a 7 million dollar offer sheet at him - and he probably would be worth it. On the odd chance that they did not match, it would only cost the Ducks a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick in 2016.

Bowman will likely match, of course. But this would really impair his ability to keep Hossa, Seabrook, and Crawford - not to mention fill out his depth spots with players making more than the minimum. And that is the main reason why the Ducks should try it.

Interesting, I had originally put Dallas and then deleted them because I didn't want someone to nitpick my post and say Dallas wasn't a "class of the NHL" team. I'm glad you agree.

Yeah, Dallas lost in the conference finals in '98, won in '99, and lost in the finals in '00. Anyone saying they weren't dominant hasn't looked at the facts.

^ I really do not buy the argument that it is the fault of the fans.

Fans are still going to Edmonton games in droves.

Fans still went to Calgary games in droves.

Fans are still going to Toronto games in droves.

I do not buy that it is the fault of the fans.

Now, the inability to sign FAs because of media scrutiny, less enjoyable living conditions, higher taxation, etc etc, THAT I buy. But that doesn't tell the whole story.

I think that's the point he's trying to make. The fan's are too rabid, it takes a special type of player to be able to play in a pressure cooker every second game. The huge media scrutiny is only there because of the large fan base that eats it up. Look at all the good players we drive away from our city, they get treated like garbage.

I think that's the point he's trying to make. The fan's are too rabid, it takes a special type of player to be able to play in a pressure cooker every second game. The huge media scrutiny is only there because of the large fan base that eats it up. Look at all the good players we drive away from our city, they get treated like garbage.

But that, to me, does not answer my question. Sure, it may be difficult to sign from free agents, but these *class of the NHL* teams aren't really doing it through free agency, it's drafting, development and good trades.

Besides, Detroit has been the model of the NHL for over a decade. Detroit is not a desirable city to live in. More evidence against the concept that fan and media scrutiny are the reason for inept management among Canadian teams.

It wasn't that long ago they sucked all kinds of balls.

Archived