The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Pre Draft talk (TSN 1040, June 17)

Gstank29

Benning on keeping Sbisa

Sbisa at the very least provides canucks back end with some size. When Bieska leaves (either this summer or next), canucks back end becomes the softest in the league.

Worst case scenario

Sbisa remains a bottom pairing D for the next 3 years.

Best case scenario

Sbisa develops into a top 4 D and at a good price for the next three years. Oduya is looking for a 6 million cap hit this summer.

I honestly believe that the "worst case scenario" you outlined for Sbisa is actually his best case scenario.

Regarding Matthais, I was one of those guys hoping he would be traded on deadline for whatever we could get (I was actually purposing we bundle him with Kassian -who was also hot at the time- and try to land a first round pick).

Alas, it did not happen and it didn't really matter. The bigger mistake would be somehow resigning Matthais for the 2.5 mil plus that he will get in free agency.

I honestly believe that the "worst case scenario" you outlined for Sbisa is actually his best case scenario.

Regarding Matthais, I was one of those guys hoping he would be traded on deadline for whatever we could get (I was actually purposing we bundle him with Kassian -who was also hot at the time- and try to land a first round pick).

Alas, it did not happen and it didn't really matter. The bigger mistake would be somehow resigning Matthais for the 2.5 mil plus that he will get in free agency.

I think that speaks volumes on your ability to assess players objectively.

It's an asset squandered. Even just a 2nd for Matthias would have balanced out, as we'd recently spent two 2nd's for Baer & Vey.

Coulda given Gaunce, Archibald & Grenier about 5~7 games each(post-TDL), to show what they had. There'd have been no drop-off in size, & probably an increase in smarts & effort.

What's Jim Benning's goal? He should be thinking long term and start moving some of the veterans. This is not rocket science , if anyone listened to team 1040 after game 6, you had over 70 percent of the fan base wanting some of the veterans gone. I tell you, if he doesn't get rid of some of the core then just wow I guess, need to stay in limit with what I type. So yep, wow is the word.

Also how can you not trade guys like Bieksa, Hamuis, Higgins ? You pretty much need to, the 2011 story is done we need to move on from the core and get value for this year. What shocks me is he didn't even ask them to waive, then how do you expect to move up in the draft? lol

Ya lets become the oilers. Rush our young guys to the NHL instead of letting them properly develope in Utica.

And good thing 70% of our fan base isnt GM

Just because he never asked them to waive yet doesnt mean nothing other than there is no offer on the table yet. If he asked them to waive and then find no suitors, then what?. I dont think he should ask unless he knows he can get a decent return

It's an asset squandered. Even just a 2nd for Matthias would have balanced out, as we'd recently spent two 2nd's for Baer & Vey.

Coulda given Gaunce, Archibald & Grenier about 5~7 games each(post-TDL), to show what they had. There'd have been no drop-off in size, & probably an increase in smarts & effort.

Agreed. I don't think there are many people here who thought Matthias shouldn't have been traded at the TDL.

Sounds about right to me. Demko was considered the top goalie in his draft year. It would not surprise me if he got NHL starts in 4 or 5 years.

Agreed. Pro in 2-3 getting AHL games. Hopefully Benning doesn't sign Miller to a 15 year contract and we'll be OK

It definitely was an asset squandered, no question. But it's not that hard to defend keeping a depth player who can play all three forward positions well heading into the playoffs where you actually think you have a chance to push past the first round. Easy to make the call in front of a computer, for sure, and I would have traded him if it was as easy as a click of a mouse, but much more difficult when you are at the rink every day.

^It don't come easy, indeed Ringo sang, but that's why they get the big bux.

This asset is key, as we're shelling out 800K for Lu, til eternity. To fritter away the returning pieces makes for bad optics, from my POV...

I think it would be illogical to disagree. My only point is simply that it was an understandable gaff and a minor one in the grand scheme of things. As someone else pointed out, it would be a far graver error to re-sign him to a big contract thinking he will deliver the same good next year on a non contract year, just to save face on that asset.

^The one pattern that may develop, & be concerning, is probably consistent for most new GM's. JB's more willing to squander assets obtained by MG, whilst giving his own acquisitions endless opportunities(eg: THREE yrs of Sbisa, brain-droppings).

So will we fritter away assets like Lack, Eriksson & various later picks(prior JB-era)? As long as more opportunities/future is recycled(commensurate) then it's kosher.

Here is some food for thought

Matthias played 78 games, scored 18 goals and had 9 assists, is 6ft 4 and is 27 years old, scoring those points on a team that was middle of the road in scoring and all those points scored on the third and fourth line. How many contending teams would not want to take a chance on having that for the playoffs?

Here is a few trades that are comparable that went down at the deadline

Curtis Glencross 13 Goals, 22 assists got a 2nd and a 3rd

James Sheppard 7goals, 11 assists got a 4th

Brian Flynn 5 g 12 a got a 5th

Andrew Desjardiens 5 g 5 a got Ben Smith and a 7th

Chris Stewart 14 goals 22 A got a 2nd

Torrey Mitchell 6g 8 A got a prospect and a 7th

Olli Jokinen 4g 6 a got a prospect and a 6th.

My point is if you know you can't get him signed for next year then get something for your assets.

We can argue all day about needing him for the playoffs, but in reality the was players in Utica that could fill the void.

Based on what was on offer above a contending team knowing full well they didn't need to worry about contract term could have been asked by Benning to cough up a good deal for the Canucks, a third line goal scorer going into the playoffs, who doesn't want that ?

Here's some food for thought for you. Those guys came from teams who weren't making the playoffs. Canucks were going into the playoffs, with what looked like a good matchup. If Matthias was that sought after by playoff teams for his size and skill, why would playoff bound Canucks trade that away? Hindsight is great, it looked like Matthias was going to be a valuable asset in the playoffs, more valuable than a pick at that time. I don't get where this "asset management" idea comes from? Generally playoff bound teams are buyers, and non-playoff teams are the sellers. When you're a non-playoff team is when you initiate asset-management mode.

Edit: should have said all players but Glencross, for some reason was thinking he got traded last year.

^The one pattern that may develop, & be concerning, is probably consistent for most new GM's. JB's more willing to squander assets obtained by MG, whilst giving his own acquisitions endless opportunities(eg: THREE yrs of Sbisa, brain-droppings).

So will we fritter away assets like Lack, Eriksson & various later picks(prior JB-era)? As long as more opportunities/future is recycled(commensurate) then it's kosher.

I really hope it isn't indicative of a trend, and more indicative of calculated attempts to be the 'Cinderella story' in these past playoffs. I'm just waiting to see what Trader Jim does at the draft, his self-admitted favorite time of the year. If Mr Career Scout can bring us the next Getzlaf or Perry at #23, all is forgiven :bigblush:

I really hope it isn't indicative of a trend, and more indicative of calculated attempts to be the 'Cinderella story' in these past playoffs. I'm just waiting to see what Trader Jim does at the draft, his self-admitted favorite time of the year. If Mr Career Scout can bring us the next Getzlaf or Perry at #23, all is forgiven :bigblush:

Did Benning draft Krecji?

Matthias not being traded was a minor, understandable and even defendable decision. I think we can all agree Benning is bungling the goaltender situation, and that is a far bigger problem than the Matthias decision.

Agreed. I don't think there are many people here who thought Matthias shouldn't have been traded at the TDL.

Interesting world you folks live in, believing that everyone agrees with you and thinking that somehow makes your arguments any more valid.

Archived