The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Pre Draft talk (TSN 1040, June 17)

Gstank29

I think that speaks volumes on your ability to assess players objectively.

Here are a couple article that use objective measures and conclude that Sbisa is barely an NHL regular:

Here are some notable quotes:

"By just about every quantitative metric we have, Sbisa is one of the worst defensemen in the league."

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/9/jim-benning-s-year-1-report-card-part-2-signings

"There's really no sugar coating it: right now Sbisa is not good enough to be an NHL regular. He's been terrible this season, and terrible for every other season of his NHL career. Since 2012, he has been one of the very worst defensemen to receive regular NHL minutes"

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/3/19/should-the-canucks-re-sign-luca-sbisa

"Among NHL defenseman who've logged at least 1000 even-strength minutes Sbisa is the second most permissive by goals against rate, behind only Edmonton Oilers youngster Oscar Klefbom. That's not good company."

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/4/8/canucks-sign-derek-dorsett-luca-sbisa-to-multi-year-contract-extensions

However, I am sure that all the things one can't measure Sbisa is excellent in....

Interesting world you folks live in, believing that everyone agrees with you and thinking that somehow makes your arguments any more valid.

OMGOSH My opinion on here means nothing?!?!? What have I been doing all these years!!??! :sick:

Benning drafted this:

As Sabres head scout:

- Miller

- Gaustad

- Kotalik

- Roy

- Pomminville

- Wideman

- Vanek

- MacArthur

- Paille

- Ballard

As AGM of Bruins

- Lucic

- Marchand

- Colborne

(- Seguin [a monkey would have picked him so whatever])

(- Hamilton)

tumblr_lzswnrM8xk1rq9kxwo1_500.jpg

Here are a couple article that use objective measures and conclude that Sbisa is barely an NHL regular:

"By just about every quantitative metric we have, Sbisa is one of the worst defensemen in the league."

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/9/jim-benning-s-year-1-report-card-part-2-signings

"There's really no sugar coating it: right now Sbisa is not good enough to be an NHL regular. He's been terrible this season, and terrible for every other season of his NHL career. Since 2012, he has been one of the very worst defensemen to receive regular NHL minutes"

"Among NHL defenseman who've logged at least 1000 even-strength minutes Sbisa is the second most permissive by goals against rate, behind only Edmonton Oilers youngster Oscar Klefbom. That's not good company."

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/4/8/canucks-sign-derek-dorsett-luca-sbisa-to-multi-year-contract-extensions

However, I am sure that all the things one can't measure Sbisa is excellent in....

while metrics have some place in hockey, they are generally used by people who haven't done a lot of playing. No one is saying Sbisa is perfect, but for a 25 year old NHL dman, he does a lot of things right and has the potential to be a very good, very tough player.

and yet, here we are; despite the analysis of know-nothing, nobody, credential-lacking, wannabe sports journalists, 3 different teams of highly-paid expert hockey minds, with literally centuries of combined experience in the game as players, coaches and executives have continued to include sbisa on their active rosters and give him meaningful minutes on the ice.

i wonder what they know and see that we don't.

(the answer is, "a lot".)

Ya lets become the oilers. Rush our young guys to the NHL instead of letting them properly develope in Utica.

And good thing 70% of our fan base isnt GM

Just because he never asked them to waive yet doesnt mean nothing other than there is no offer on the table yet. If he asked them to waive and then find no suitors, then what?. I dont think he should ask unless he knows he can get a decent return

Why is it whenever I post anything about a rebuild you guys mention the Oilers. Enough of this already! Look at teams who also rebuilded:

LA Kings,Chicago Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, Tampa Bay Lightening, LIST GOES ON

stop mentioning the oilers its getting redundant. Oilers are one example gone bad, just look at the Calgary Flames how they have transitioned well with their rebuild

If it doesn't happen this year it will happen sooner or later, its just that this year the Canucks' have a chance to save 2-3 years off the long rebuilding process. Trading Hamuis would be a very smart move because his value is sky high and can get this team a decent return. What happens if we keep the core next year and miss the playoffs tell me? Also, how much mentoring can Bieksa give the young guys? Our top 2 guys are Edler and Tanev, and let's not forget if our young guys need need to be mentored they have Doug Lidster and Linden.

Now is the time Benning makes some trades, if he doesn't I tell you it will hurt will this franchise heading forward.

and yet, here we are; despite the analysis of know-nothing, nobody, credential-lacking, wannabe sports journalists, 3 different teams of highly-paid expert hockey minds, with literally centuries of combined experience in the game as players, coaches and executives have continued to include sbisa on their active rosters and give him meaningful minutes on the ice.

i wonder what they know and see that we don't.

(the answer is, "a lot".)

ahh the appeal to authority fallacy right on time.

There's never been a bad contract or a bad hockey decision because people with a lot of experience in hockey agreed to it. That makes sense.

Interesting world you folks live in, believing that everyone agrees with you and thinking that somehow makes your arguments any more valid.

Interesting world you live in, where "most" means everybody, and failing to see I wasn't the only one making the argument. You obviously fall under the category of people who think Benning was right to keep Matthias? If not, what's your point?

Seguin is an idiot and I wouldn't want him on our team

An idiot who's very good at hockey. You'd be a fool not to want him on your team if you were an NHL GM. Kassian is also, by all accounts, not superbly intelligent. Should we trade him away because of it?

I didn’t fill up with gas yesterday even though I knew I was close to empty, Now I have to fill up and the price has went up a couple extra cents. What ever will I do. Seriously this fan base needs to quit whining about pointless crap.

I assume you aren't going to just let it run out and walk away, but I get your point. B)

Why is it whenever I post anything about a rebuild you guys mention the Oilers. Enough of this already! Look at teams who also rebuilded:

LA Kings,Chicago Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, Tampa Bay Lightening, LIST GOES ON

stop mentioning the oilers its getting redundant. Oilers are one example gone bad, just look at the Calgary Flames how they have transitioned well with their rebuild

If it doesn't happen this year it will happen sooner or later, its just that this year the Canucks' have a chance to save 2-3 years off the long rebuilding process. Trading Hamuis would be a very smart move because his value is sky high and can get this team a decent return. What happens if we keep the core next year and miss the playoffs tell me? Also, how much mentoring can Bieksa give the young guys? Our top 2 guys are Edler and Tanev, and let's not forget if our young guys need need to be mentored they have Doug Lidster and Linden.

Now is the time Benning makes some trades, if he doesn't I tell you it will hurt will this franchise heading forward.

Speaking of redundant...

The Blackhawks have won two titles since they did a major roster overhaul after their first. LA won a second cup. Tampa and Calgary (and La and Chicago as well) were bad for nearly 10 years to achieve their notoriety as crapty teams. That they won on tanking is now an old story, still has validity, but the moves they have made since are the much bigger story.

You know what is more relevant? Only LA kept their management from tanking through to championship contention. Chicago hired Bowman. Calgary, cough, hired Burke in their current ascension. Tampa hired Stevie Y. You know, Tampa who drafted Namestnikov in the first round, Kucherov in the 2knd, Nesterov in the 5th & Palat in the 7th; all from one draft. Then developed them without rushing any. And signed Johnson as an undrafted UFA. They converted Marty St Louis into multiple draft picks and key forward Callahan. Their work since getting Hedman & Stamkos is way more relevant than their period of tanking IMO. Calgary only has Monahan to show for bad years. Johnny Hockey was a late round draft pick. TJ Brodie was a 4th rounder. Backlund was a 24th overall pick. Tanking, as much as they sulked for near ten years, did not get them where they are today... :lol: The biggest change was that all these teams made solid decisions & developed their players.

They all also changed their coaching. Quenneville, Sutter, Hartley and Cooper all pulled pretty much (maybe not Sutter this year) the right strings. Both managing veterans and developing those young guys equally well.

Forget Edmonton; Look how well Pittsburgh has done with two stud superstars, but arrays of bad decisions and poor development the last 6 years?

Hockey is sport, which is about competing. Not getting ur ass whooped. Some guys should just be fans of junior hockey they love the players so damn much more than the pride of the competition their jersey is supposed to represent.

How about going back to Dale Tallon and seeing what we have now? Trevor Linden retired -- should we have traded him again, just to maintain an eternal asset chain? We've had some pretty good lasting value from that single pick, and still have.

Yeah, I'm not complaining but one asset gave birth to so many assets and it would've been great if Luongo was turned into something equally great and continue down the path of greatness.

Just for fun, I tried Dale Tallon, it looks like the last three remaining pieces from trading Tallon to Chicago were Sheldon Kannegiesser, Tracy Pratt, and Killiard Graves.

-Kannegiesser seems to have retired after playing one season with us (in 1978).

-Pratt signed as a free agent with Colorado in 1976.

-Graves was claimed in the expansion draft by Winnipeg in 1979.

So Tallon, a 2nd overall pick in 1970 only lasted until 1979.

Linden, a 2nd overall pick in 1988, his genealogy is still surviving in Markstrom and Daniel Sedin. It will be fun to see where this genealogy ends.

Archived