The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Pre Draft talk (TSN 1040, June 17)

Gstank29

"Thinks that it could be a busy year for trades at the draft" - I hope he's hinting at Canucks making a splash at the draft like the previous two.

As I expected, it doesn't look like Matthias will be a Canuck next year. Sad now we only have Markstom from the Luongo trade. Also it looks like there will be atleast two prospects making the jump to NHL next year, which is exciting!

Really looking forward to the draft! If KB3 is indeed going to get traded, which teams do you think will be interested??

We still have the $800,000 retained salary.

-Both pro and anti-Markstrom in the same thoughts.

-This market understands that signing Miller was a mistake.

-Prepare to lose Markstrom on waivers, or get relatively nothing for Lack.

-We're not getting any more picks.

-Grenier in, Kassian out.

-Bieksa out.

-Bartschi's top-6 role not a sure thing.

-Shinkaruk is still aways away. Injury took it's toll. Probably not fast enough to become a star.

-Gaunce is a 4th liner.

-Bieksa is packing his stuff. Hamhuis on notice.

-Prepare for some more 'need a job' castoff prospects to get a shot here.

-Would pass on Patrick Kane.

-Matthias should have already been traded.

-Richardson is gone too.

-Complete about-face with regards to who to take at 23.

-Prepare for a crap draft.

-Prepare for further re-tooling of the defense with other teams' crap.

-You might be rewarded next season with being able to see Virtanen for 8mins a game.

-Chicago re-tooled their roster with multiple young franchise players already in place, after they won a cup.

I hope he's just trolling us.

- he wants the experienced guy in Miller, always has anywhere he's been and knows we wouldn't have a chance with 2 inexperienced goalies who aren't starters.

- there are 3-4 goalies on the market and Lack/Markstrom are one of them.

- we're getting more picks.

- Grenier in, Matthias out.

- k TSN Insider Bob MacKenzie

- it isn't, he has to earn it...

- just saying Shink isn't fast enough shows how little you know about him :picard: .

- Bieksa is still a Canuck and no one has been approached about NTCs.

- k, tell me how to get all the top end prospects in the world.

- Kane never had issues when he got drafted. He would gladly take him.

- maybe but didn't hurt to keep him.

- maybe but not a sure thing.

- k

- don't be an idiot :picard:

- idk where you pulled this out of.

- just like how Horvat was given 8 mins a game....oh right...

-Virtanen looked good, thinks he has a better understanding of how much bigger and faster pro players are. Had the flu the last two games, thought the team missed it in the final two games

-Markstrom work with Cloutier all year, has simplified his game, mentioned he was in the 3 stars a lot during the playoffs

-Doesn't feel comfortable with going into the season with Lack and Markstrom, especially in this market. RYAN WILL BE BACK

-Teams don't want to give up much for goalies, thinks Lack and Markstrom are in the top 3 available.

-Said Grenier has gotten stronger, faster, and more reliable defensively and has risen his stock

-Corrado and Clendening look ready to play next year

-Baertschi skill set and skating really stood out, need to get stronger

-Shinkaruk got stronger physically thoughout the year

-Gaunce played a heavy game (protect the puck)

-Still hasn't asked anyone to waive NTC

-Thinks that it could be a busy year for trades at the draft

-Has a short list of players that they like as players

-Likes to see hockey sense, character players who are hard to play against ETC

-Interviewed 65 kids at the combine (65/120)

-Going to take the high character player over skill with attitude every time

-Matthias is going to test UFA

-May bring Richardson back

-Thinks that going for fit at 23 is dangerous

-Has looked at the defence market hard

-Wants to get faster and more physical (VIRTANEN)

-Says Chicago has got some great players, noticed their job retooling their roster

My god, its the first time this has ever been on record as looking to improve the defence I think? :picard:

Maybe all the feedback from all the season ticket holders (asking about whether he would ask guys (cough Bieksa) to waive their NTC and all the bristling re Sbisa's contract) at that event had an impact?

I like Benning, I do.

But its butt faced obvious where the team needs to improve most... I cannot believe this has not been on the public consumption hit list as something we want to accomplish.

(hopefully he has been playing coy all this time)

I don't think it's that hard in the first round. More difficult than in the top 10 surely, but isn't that why we hired mr career scout to run show?

Top 10 is more definitive.

I feel like all's fair between 23-30ish. Almost anyone could go anywhere in that range.

My god, its the first time this has ever been on record as looking to improve the defence I think? :picard:

Maybe all the feedback from all the season ticket holders (asking about whether he would ask guys (cough Bieksa) to waive their NTC and all the bristling re Sbisa's contract) at that event had an impact?

I like Benning, I do.

But its butt faced obvious where the team needs to improve most... I cannot believe this has not been on the public consumption hit list as something we want to accomplish.

He definitely has. All GMs are full of crap this time of year, even more so than the rest of the year. It's all about what little advantages you can give yourself.

-Bieksa out.

-Shinkaruk is still aways away. Injury took it's toll. Probably not fast enough to become a star.

-Gaunce is a 4th liner.

-Richardson is gone too.

-You might be rewarded next season with being able to see Virtanen for 8mins a game.

-Chicago re-tooled their roster with multiple young franchise players already in place, after they won a cup.

:frantic: THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! QUICK EVERYONE PANIC! :frantic:

I like Benning, I do.

Benning took over a year ago, and he already added 3 either defensemen under the age of 25 - Sbisa, Pedan, and Clendening. (Say what you want about Sbisa, but he played well for portions of the year. He could still figure it out and be a solid 2nd pairing guy.)

He has done a lot to address the lack of young D depth already. His actions show it's a concern that he's focused on. Who gives a crap how much he emphasizes this in an interview?

- he wants the experienced guy in Miller, always has anywhere he's been and knows we wouldn't have a chance with 2 inexperienced goalies who aren't starters. -Considering Miller will be the worst out of the three in short order...

- there are 3-4 goalies on the market and Lack/Markstrom are one of them. -However GM's know that we'll have to waive Markstrom.

- we're getting more picks. -We'll see.

- Grenier in, Matthias out. -Different positions.

- k TSN Insider Bob MacKenzie -Meh. Or Hamhuis. What else has Benning been implying all this time? We're going to lose them to free agency at worst, at best a bad trade. Or is that at worst?

- it isn't, he has to earn it... -He has had to build strength for years now. Calgary traded him for a reason.

- just saying Shink isn't fast enough shows how little you know about him. -Fast enough... To become a star. Let's see it in the AHL first maybe.

- Bieksa is still a Canuck and no one has been approached about NTCs. -And yet Corrado/Clendening will get jobs.

- k, tell me how to get all the top end prospects in the world. -Draft? Don't shell out picks like candy? Or find the Tyler Johnson's in your own backyard.

- Kane never had issues when he got drafted. He would gladly take him. -k

- maybe but didn't hurt to keep him. -It hurt both our future and the optics of the Luongo trade.

- maybe but not a sure thing. -Until we clear cap, and he's keeping Miller and assumingly giving jobs to some kids, he's gone.

- k -yup

- don't be an idiot :picard: -Uh-huh? We'll see.

- idk where you pulled this out of. -Again, we'll see what the 're-tooling' brings.

- just like how Horvat was given 8 mins a game....oh right... -Ya, he played 10.

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! QUICK EVERYONE PANIC!

No the real panic is when Canucks fans just stop caring.

-Bieksa out.

-Gaunce is a 4th liner.

-Richardson is gone too.

The Kane reference is a very good analogy. This is also the guy that shipped out Seguin which concerns me

Archived