The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Pre Draft talk (TSN 1040, June 17)

Gstank29

Small assets like that aren't anything to get upset over. What really was Matthias going to get us in return? Every year teams let go bottom 9 players to UFA, you can't always trade everyone, canucks were still in a playoff race. It's the big ones that have the big value that would be concerning.

Might have been able to get a 4th round pick for his rights, i think thats what Gillis got for Erhoff after the playoffs were over.

I disagree. If they knew he wasn't going to be resigned then he should have been traded. We could have gotten at least a second for him. We would have made the playoffs without him.

He would have been traded if JB knew we werent going to re-sign him. He had a good season and at the deadline we probably wanted to keep him both long term and into the playoffs. Thats until he stunk it up, didnt do anything and didnt use his size in the playoffs (pretty sure he wasnt great down the stretch either).

Thinking JB knew we werent going to re-sign him and still didnt trade him at the deadline is 100% ridiculous.

It's not as much that as he's contradicting himself at every turn. At this rate I'd rather hear "It's a process," and have him save all the bs.

And just because the Canucks are going to go through a predictable downturn while ignoring great draft years it doesn't mean we have to enjoy it.

It's one thing to not enjoy it. It's entirely another to sit here and spew irrational negativity constantly, at every chance you get. You want to think and be negative? Go ahead. But I'd appreciate if you didnt crap in my cheerios m8.

Might have been able to get a 4th round pick for his rights, i think thats what Gillis got for Erhoff after the playoffs were over.

Definitely wouldnt get a 4th round pick for Matthias' rights. He wasnt anywhere remotely close to the level Ehrhoff was at, at the time.

Small assets like that aren't anything to get upset over. What really was Matthias going to get us in return? Every year teams let go bottom 9 players to UFA, you can't always trade everyone, canucks were still in a playoff race. It's the big ones that have the big value that would be concerning.

Here is some food for thought

Matthias played 78 games, scored 18 goals and had 9 assists, is 6ft 4 and is 27 years old, scoring those points on a team that was middle of the road in scoring and all those points scored on the third and fourth line. How many contending teams would not want to take a chance on having that for the playoffs?

Here is a few trades that are comparable that went down at the deadline

Curtis Glencross 13 Goals, 22 assists got a 2nd and a 3rd

James Sheppard 7goals, 11 assists got a 4th

Brian Flynn 5 g 12 a got a 5th

Andrew Desjardiens 5 g 5 a got Ben Smith and a 7th

Chris Stewart 14 goals 22 A got a 2nd

Torrey Mitchell 6g 8 A got a prospect and a 7th

Olli Jokinen 4g 6 a got a prospect and a 6th.

My point is if you know you can't get him signed for next year then get something for your assets.

We can argue all day about needing him for the playoffs, but in reality the was players in Utica that could fill the void.

Based on what was on offer above a contending team knowing full well they didn't need to worry about contract term could have been asked by Benning to cough up a good deal for the Canucks, a third line goal scorer going into the playoffs, who doesn't want that ?

Hers some food for thought

Matthias played 78 games, scored 18 goals and had 9 assists, is 6ft 4 and is 27 years old, scoring those points on a team that was middle of the road in scoring and all those points scored on the third and fourth line. How many contending teams would not want to take a chance on having that for the playoffs?

Here is a few trades that are comparable that went down at the deadline

Curtis Glencross 13 Goals, 22 assists got a 2nd and a 3rd

James Sheppard 7goals, 11 assists got a 4th

Brian Flynn 5 g 12 a got a 5th

Andrew Desjardiens 5 g 5 a got Ben Smith and a 7th

Chris Stewart 14 goals 22 A got a 2nd

Torrey Mitchell 6g 8 A got a prospect and a 7th

Olli Jokinen 4g 6 a got a prospect and a 6th.

My point is if you know you can't get him signed for next year then get something for your assets.

We can argue all day about needing him for the playoffs, but in reality the was players in Utica that could fill the void.

Based on what was on offer above a contending team knowing full well they didn't need to worry about contract term could have been asked by Benning to cough up a good deal for the Canucks, a third line goal scorer going into the playoffs, who doesn't want that ?

We wanted that. And we probably wanted to re-sign him too. Otherwise the obvious deal would have been done.

The Kane reference is a very good analogy. This is also the guy that shipped out Seguin which concerns me

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Benning was "ASSISTANT GM" in Boston. That position is usually more of a administrative position than actively trading. Wouldn't it have been Chiarelli who was actively doing trades?

Also, Seguin may have really needed a change of scenery to mature him. He may not have continued to develop if he stayed in Boston.

We wanted that. And we probably wanted to re-sign him too. Otherwise the obvious deal would have been done.

The Canucks may have wanted that in the playoffs, but the cap was never going to allow Benning to re-sign Matthias.....he was always going to get a pay rise after a season like that, everyones knows it and if Benning didn't then he shouldn't be in the job. So i can't see how you think he was going to be re signed?

Therefore back to poor asset management

The Canucks may have wanted that in the playoffs, but the cap was never going to allow Benning to re-sign Matthias.....he was always going to get a pay rise after a season like that, everyones knows it and if Benning didn't then he shouldn't be in the job. So i can't see how you think he was going to be re signed?

Therefore back to poor asset management

JB could of re-signed Matthias but chose to re-sign Dorsett instead.

JB kept Matthias thinking that he would continue his solid play but Matthias never had a good showing after the trade deadline hence why he was not re-signed.

JB can't predict what happened after trade deadline but as a result Benning chose Dorsett because Dorsett consistently brought his play style and is a good character guy.

-Going to take the high character player over skill with attitude every time

-Has looked at the defence market hard

-Wants to get faster and more physical (VIRTANEN)

-Says Chicago has got some great players, noticed their job retooling their roster

Honestly don't like that first point... sounds like he's still stuck on the blue-collar, grind-it-out kind of team instead of picking a guy who's a game-breaker, just because he's got some attitude. It's ironic too, that he says he noticed what Chicago did and they have skilled guys with attitude (Kane and previously Versteeg off the top of my head) but he'd go for the effort guy and ignore the skill (NOT that those two should be mutually exclusive anyways). If anything he should go for character guys with high-end skill and don't put character as such a high priority, or you'd end up with a bunch of middling-skill-level guys without that elite player to lead the charge. Hope he changes his mind and does take a skilled guy, even if he may have some attitude (e.g. Kylington?) or we'd be sitting here again in the future talking about how this team still can't score enough.

Some swagger is good, and it's not like the coach can't change that with some tough love. Skill with effort level on the other hand can't be taught, and I'm sure that he could find that combination in guys even if they have some attitude.

These two quotes make it seem like Eddie is on his way out IMHO. "Markstrom NHL ready" and "Wants Miller as the experienced guy" doesn't make it hard to put 2 & 2 together here.

What do you mean?

I hope lack gets traded to Edmonton and he has success with mcdavid. The amount of disrespect Benning continues to show him compared to his golden boy signing of miller is just sickening.

First it's the when miller is on it gives the team confidence quote. Oh so when lack is on it doesnt give the team the same confidence? Considering the fact lack outperformed miller last year I would guess lack playing well gave the team just as much or more confidence than with miller. Today it's the lack is still too young excuse when he's 27 now and isn't some young rookie anymore yet still gets treated like one by Benning.

One has to wonder, when your name shows you hated the last GM, and now you hate the new GM, maybe the problem is just you

I disagree. If they knew he wasn't going to be resigned then he should have been traded. We could have gotten at least a second for him. We would have made the playoffs without him.

Matthias was playing great till after the deadline. Why mess that up? We needed goals. I think if he actually performed well in the playoffs and rest of the regular season, we'd re-sign him. Before the deadline he looked great. I was happy when we didn't trade him away. We don't need to get picks for every single asset, and if they're producing for us, why wreck that?

Benning took over a year ago, and he already added 3 either defensemen under the age of 25 - Sbisa, Pedan, and Clendening. (Say what you want about Sbisa, but he played well for portions of the year. He could still figure it out and be a solid 2nd pairing guy.)

He has done a lot to address the lack of young D depth already. His actions show it's a concern that he's focused on. Who gives a crap how much he emphasizes this in an interview?

Comical that so many fans jump all over Benning after every interview because he doesn't reveal all of his intimate plans on the radio to a fan base.

What good GM in what sport does? He answers the same questions from the same reporters as diplomatically as he can without tipping his hand. What really do some fans expect a GM to do in the midst of draft preparation and negotiations with other GMs?

Comical that so many fans jump all over Benning after every interview because he doesn't reveal all of his intimate plans on the radio to a fan base.

What good GM in what sport does? He answers the same questions from the same reporters as diplomatically as he can without tipping his hand. What really do some fans expect a GM to do in the midst of draft preparation and negotiations with other GMs

Yes.

But most GM's, lets use baseball, would probably be willing to tell you they need infield defence, or an RBI guy, or a relief pitcher. Nobody expects them to name their specific target! Benning is more than upfront on assessments with individuals (examples being Grenier, Jensen, Kassian, Jake, Baertschi, Sbisa, Dorsett).

When asked on the subject of defence last year Benning said he was happy to go into the year with the defensive roster he had. Grabbed Clendenning. And has more or less said boo on the subject since...

When a whole subject completely flies under the radar you wonder is all?

Archived