The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Pre Draft talk (TSN 1040, June 17)

Gstank29

-Both pro and anti-Markstrom in the same thoughts.

-This market understands that signing Miller was a mistake.

-Prepare to lose Markstrom on waivers, or get relatively nothing for Lack.

-We're not getting any more picks.

-Grenier in, Kassian out.

-Bieksa out.

-Bartschi's top-6 role not a sure thing.

-Shinkaruk is still aways away. Injury took it's toll. Probably not fast enough to become a star.

-Gaunce is a 4th liner.

-Bieksa is packing his stuff. Hamhuis on notice.

-Prepare for some more 'need a job' castoff prospects to get a shot here.

-Would pass on Patrick Kane.

-Matthias should have already been traded.

-Richardson is gone too.

-Complete about-face with regards to who to take at 23.

-Prepare for a crap draft.

-Prepare for further re-tooling of the defense with other teams' crap.

-You might be rewarded next season with being able to see Virtanen for 8mins a game.

-Chicago re-tooled their roster with multiple young franchise players already in place, after they won a cup.

I hope he's just trolling us.

http://www.tsn.ca/ra...ver-1040-i-1410

-Virtanen looked good, thinks he has a better understanding of how much bigger and faster pro players are. Had the flu the last two games, thought the team missed it in the final two games

-Markstrom work with Cloutier all year, has simplified his game, mentioned he was in the 3 stars a lot during the playoffs

-Doesn't feel comfortable with going into the season with Lack and Markstrom, especially in this market. RYAN WILL BE BACK

-Teams don't want to give up much for goalies, thinks Lack and Markstrom are in the top 3 available.

-Said Grenier has gotten stronger, faster, and more reliable defensively and has risen his stock

-Corrado and Clendening look ready to play next year

-Baertschi skill set and skating really stood out, need to get stronger

-Shinkaruk got stronger physically thoughout the year

-Gaunce played a heavy game (protect the puck)

-Still hasn't asked anyone to waive NTC

-Thinks that it could be a busy year for trades at the draft

-Has a short list of players that they like as players

-Likes to see hockey sense, character players who are hard to play against ETC

-Interviewed 65 kids at the combine (65/120)

-Going to take the high character player over skill with attitude every time

-Matthias is going to test UFA

-May bring Richardson back

-Thinks that going for fit at 23 is dangerous

-Has looked at the defence market hard

-Wants to get faster and more physical (VIRTANEN)

-Says Chicago has got some great players, noticed their job retooling their roster

Dammit

This team needs game breaking defencemen.

He's gonna draft Boeser

The Canucks may have wanted that in the playoffs, but the cap was never going to allow Benning to re-sign Matthias.....he was always going to get a pay rise after a season like that, everyones knows it and if Benning didn't then he shouldn't be in the job. So i can't see how you think he was going to be re signed?

Therefore back to poor asset management

If Matthias had earned a spot and was worth while we absolutely, without question, could make a roster spot (and cap space) for him. It blows my mind that people think JB with all his experience and know-how is dumb enough to not see this and act accordingly. I dont know if its massive ego or sheer ignorance.

If Matthias had earned a spot and was worth while we absolutely, without question, could make a roster spot (and cap space) for him. It blows my mind that people think JB with all his experience and know-how is dumb enough to not see this and act accordingly. I dont know if its massive ego or sheer ignorance.

I agree. It's real easy to say that we should've traded him in hindsight. Problem was he was on a tear leading up to the trade deadline. Wasn't any reason to think he was gonna drop off like he did. Too bad really, he was really exciting to watch on his hot streak.

Dammit

He's gonna draft Boeser

Not a bad guess.

Captain of Team USA at the Hlinka Memorial.

Impressive showings at the international level.

RW(which is needed forward wise)

Really strong with the puck and is a natural goal scorer.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is one of the 4 or 5 guys on Benning's radar.

-Both pro and anti-Markstrom in the same thoughts.

-This market understands that signing Miller was a mistake.

-Prepare to lose Markstrom on waivers, or get relatively nothing for Lack.

-We're not getting any more picks.

-Grenier in, Kassian out.

-Bieksa out.

-Bartschi's top-6 role not a sure thing.

-Shinkaruk is still aways away. Injury took it's toll. Probably not fast enough to become a star.

-Gaunce is a 4th liner.

-Bieksa is packing his stuff. Hamhuis on notice.

-Prepare for some more 'need a job' castoff prospects to get a shot here.

-Would pass on Patrick Kane.

-Matthias should have already been traded.

-Richardson is gone too.

-Complete about-face with regards to who to take at 23.

-Prepare for a crap draft.

-Prepare for further re-tooling of the defense with other teams' crap.

-You might be rewarded next season with being able to see Virtanen for 8mins a game.

-Chicago re-tooled their roster with multiple young franchise players already in place, after they won a cup.

I hope he's just trolling us.

You're just upset that your man crush on Chychrun will forever be unrequited.

Isn't that right, TODesiboy?

One has to wonder, when your name shows you hated the last GM, and now you hate the new GM, maybe the problem is just you

Considering the fact that the last gm got fired proved I was correct so not sure your point there since the problem was gillis otherwise he wouldn't have gotten fired. Your logic doesn't make sense.

We wanted that. And we probably wanted to re-sign him too. Otherwise the obvious deal would have been done.

I agree with that, but the second part is a question mark. Maybe we did, maybe we didn't and just wanted him to end out the season. If we didn't, it could have been so we didn't disrupt the vibe in Utica (which is in part why we didn't trade a goalie at the deadline) or just that we wanted to keep a successful atmosphere in Vancouver. There's a lot of things at play that could be factors and not all of them included us planning to re-sign him.

That said, I would have moved him at the deadline too.

But Benning has some plans it seems, and we'll see what he can do to get back picks and make the draft something special outside of that 23rd overall. Then there's re-signings and free agency, but I'll certainly be around this summer to find out what happens.

I agree with that, but the second part is a question mark. Maybe we did, maybe we didn't and just wanted him to end out the season. If we didn't, it could have been so we didn't disrupt the vibe in Utica (which is in part why we didn't trade a goalie at the deadline) or just that we wanted to keep a successful atmosphere in Vancouver. There's a lot of things at play that could be factors and not all of them included us planning to re-sign him.

But Benning has some plans it seems, and we'll see what he can do to get back picks and make the draft something special outside of that 23rd overall. Then there's re-signings and free agency, but I'll certainly be around this summer to find out what happens.

That would've been my only question in regards to this. I feel like Benning was happy with the moves he had made for the Canucks in the off season and during the season made moves to strengthen Utica with young 20 somethings that can hopefully make the jump in the next year or too.

As you said, trading him at deadline does obviously look very smart now, especially if he hadn't penciled him in to next years team from the start. However, had we traded him for say a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and off he goes to the eastern conference and continues his hot streak, we'd all be hanging him out to dry for that. It's a lose lose situation for Benning. He couldn't possibly have known his scoring would dry up like the Sahara.

No the real panic is when Canucks fans just stop caring.

We care, we just don't believe that everything Benning said is an utter lie, and clearly we should be reading between the lines because there's some hidden meaning to everything he's saying.

I trust Benning 100%

And that Kane analogy is dumb. No one would pass on Kane.

It's not as much that as he's contradicting himself at every turn. At this rate I'd rather hear "It's a process," and have him save all the bs.

And just because the Canucks are going to go through a predictable downturn while ignoring great draft years it doesn't mean we have to enjoy it.

I agree, I think benning is to open with the media and it only hurts his own rep when he contradicts himself. I am not alright with just drafting 23. We have such potential to make this retool happen faster but this "make the playoffs and do nothing in them" goal is just hurting us. Benning is overrated big time. Who likes to watch our whole team get our @ss's kicked by a kid named ferland. That was pathetic. If he really wanted to impress he would make bigger moves for younger players. Not to mention have you heard Bennings voice? Doesn't sound to smart either.

Dammit

He's gonna draft Boeser

I wouldn't be too against Boeser if we could manage to reap a high enough 2nd via trade to get a guy like Vince Dunn. Bringing those two into the fold this year would make our prospect pool pretty intriguing.

Here is some food for thought

Matthias played 78 games, scored 18 goals and had 9 assists, is 6ft 4 and is 27 years old, scoring those points on a team that was middle of the road in scoring and all those points scored on the third and fourth line. How many contending teams would not want to take a chance on having that for the playoffs?

Here is a few trades that are comparable that went down at the deadline

Curtis Glencross 13 Goals, 22 assists got a 2nd and a 3rd

James Sheppard 7goals, 11 assists got a 4th

Brian Flynn 5 g 12 a got a 5th

Andrew Desjardiens 5 g 5 a got Ben Smith and a 7th

Chris Stewart 14 goals 22 A got a 2nd

Torrey Mitchell 6g 8 A got a prospect and a 7th

Olli Jokinen 4g 6 a got a prospect and a 6th.

My point is if you know you can't get him signed for next year then get something for your assets.

We can argue all day about needing him for the playoffs, but in reality the was players in Utica that could fill the void.

Based on what was on offer above a contending team knowing full well they didn't need to worry about contract term could have been asked by Benning to cough up a good deal for the Canucks, a third line goal scorer going into the playoffs, who doesn't want that ?

so your saying Matthias would have gotten us a 6th or seventh. He didn't have the pedigree that either Glencross or Stewart have had. And it kills me to say that since I hate glencross. And Glencross was traded way before the deadline.

God, what's with all the negativity of our GM JB. This is a guy who has lived and breathed hockey for a half century. Let that sink in. Benning has a plan and strikes me as a guy who over prepares and analyzes to the nth degree. Yes, this is a discussion board with some very knowledgeable fans but it gets tiresome reading all these negative posts from wanna be GMs. Just hang on and enjoy the ride.

I agree. It's real easy to say that we should've traded him in hindsight. Problem was he was on a tear leading up to the trade deadline. Wasn't any reason to think he was gonna drop off like he did. Too bad really, he was really exciting to watch on his hot streak.

Exactly, but this is CDC, people love to look at stuff in hindsight, point out the flaw, and act like they are geniuses for doing so.

You made a lot of good points here and there is quite a bit at play on this, but I just dont see why the plan wouldnt be to sign him long term at the time. He was playing very well and he fits the type of player Benning wants moving forward. IE skilled but also big, as well as young enough to be part of the next core. It's unfortunate he fell off so hard. It's too bad too because if we had moved him at the deadline I think he'd probably fetch a second at least considering how well his play was up to that point.

Archived