The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Accusations, dismissals, lawsuits, settlements, apologies and a suicide

Violator

settles his case with government out of court. Details of the settlement were not made public.

"The last two years have been incredibly stressful on me and my family. It's impacted both our physical and mental health and we're delighted to be able to put this behind us," Mattson said,

The Ministry of Health says that its decision to terminate Ron Mattson had been "a regrettable mistake."

hi-bc-121204-ron-mattson.jpg

Ron Mattson, who was fired as a Ministry of Health research manager, eventually sued the government, settled out of court and is now calling for a public inquiry into the scandal.

Sept. 30, 2014
Roderick McIsaac's family demands an apology from the provincial government.

"From the beginning I knew there was nothing to be found ... but I figure when somebody makes a mistake and ruins people's lives like this ... you have to recognize an error," said MacIsaac's sister, Linda Kayfish.

Oct. 3, 2014
The B.C. government apologizes to the family of Roderick MacIsaac in a written statement.

"The government also expresses sympathy and condolences for the stress and sadness that they have endured as a result of Mr. MacIsaac's death in December, 2012," said a statement issued by Health Minister Terry Lake.

linda-kayfish.jpg

Linda Kayfish, the sister of fired UVic researcher Harold Roderick MacIsaac, called for a formal government apology over his dismissal. She received one on Oct. 3, 2014. (CBC)

Oct. 3, 2014
The B.C. government announces that head of the Public Service Agency Lynda Tarras will conduct a review of the investigation into the fired workers. Victoria labour lawyer Marcia McNeil, an independent third party, is asked to use the terms of reference developed by the Public Service Agency to write her report.

Oct 20, 2014
Former deputy minister of health Graham Whitmarsh indicates a willingness to co-operate in the investigation into the health worker firings.

"He supports the need for an independent and full review of the public service's handling of the 2012 investigation and of the actions taken by the public service as a result of the investigation," said a letter to the government from his lawyer.

Nov. 25, 2014
Former deputy minister of health Graham Whitmarsh announces he will not co-operate with Marcia McNeil's review into the health firings saying the review is not sufficiently independent from government.

Dec. 14, 2014
Labour lawyer Marcia McNeil releases her review of the Ministry of Health firings for the BC Public Service Agency. McNeil did not interview the fired researchers for her report.

"I have found that the investigation was flawed from the outset, as it was embarked upon with a pre-conceived theory of employee misconduct," she wrote in the report.

"Two of the most difficult questions I considered during my review were who effectively made the dismissal decisions and what factors were considered. Those questions remain unanswered."

Dec. 23, 2014
In response to the McNeil report, the BCGEU calls for the appointment of an independent third party to determine a suitable remedy for the fired workers.

June 4, 2015
RCMP documents obtained through a Freedom of Information request by the Vancouver Sun show police were not given evidence by the government to investigate the wrongdoing which was used to justify the firings, despite the government telling the public an investigation was ongoing.

"They claimed an RCMP investigation that simply didn't exist," said the NDP's Adrian Dix.

"They failed to provide any information, even though they led their press conference announcing the dismissal of these workers saying there was an ongoing RCMP investigation ... it shows a government that frankly, intentionally — from the beginning — misled the public about this issue and continued to do so for years."

The RCMP say they tried repeatedly to get information from the province, but it never came.

terry-lake-and-adrian-dix.jpg

B.C. Health Minister Terry Lake (left) says the government has already apologized for its heavy-handed response to the 2012 firings of seven health researchers. The NDP's Adrian Dix (right) is demanding a public inquiry. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press)

June 5, 2015
Premier Christy Clark refuses to comment on the story further, despite the revelations from RCMP documents.

"I don't have anything more to add to that," Clark said.

"And what I've said in the past is we, government, very much regrets that mistake that was made. It shouldn't have been made and (government) has apologized for it. It was wrong."

Asked whether she was referring to an apology for the firings or for misleading the public, Clark answered, "Both".

clark-trade-mission-20141009.jpg

B.C. Premier Christy Clark has faced repeated questions about her office's involvement in the firing of eight Ministry of Health workers in 2012. (Darryl Dick/The Canadian Press)

June 8, 2015
Ron Mattson calls for a public inquiry into the firings.

June 9, 2015
Health Minister Terry Lake refuses the NDP's call for a public inquiry into the firings.

"At the time I think the government made a mistake and we have apologized for being so heavy-handed in the response and indicating the seriousness of the RCMP investigation," said Health Minister Terry Lake.

"The McNeil report that we've done shows there were mistakes made in terms of personnel issues and the way people were managed from an HR point of view."

June 11, 2015
According to a Vancouver Sun report, the B.C. government releases correspondences with RCMP from October 22, 2013. In one of the e-mails, an RCMP sergeant confirms that the investigation is suspended pending the government's investigation, but asks the government to fight disclosure of some documents related to the case.

We should learn more about why a particular researcher decided to suicide, if you were to include the suicide as part of a "conspiracy theory". Otherwise, the suicide may not necessarily have anything to do with the firing.

We should learn more about why a particular researcher decided to suicide, if you were to include the suicide as part of a "conspiracy theory". Otherwise, the suicide may not necessarily have anything to do with the firing.

The timeline suggests the firing, which caused MacIsaac to be unable to complete his doctorate, was the main factor in the suicide. Although he may have been a professional student being 46 and all( guy who has plenty of money from a trust or whatnot and spends his life going to school racking up degree after degree) I met a few guys like that at Uvic back in the early 90s. Weird dudes. Hes from Uvic and 46...he could have been one of those weird dudes. Easily.

The timeline suggests the firing, which caused MacIsaac to be unable to complete his doctorate, was the main factor in the suicide. Although he may have been a professional student being 46 and all( guy who has plenty of money from a trust or whatnot and spends his life going to school racking up degree after degree) I met a few guys like that at Uvic back in the early 90s. Weird dudes. Hes from Uvic and 46...he could have been one of those weird dudes. Easily.

That's crazy. School and nothing but school?

That's crazy. School and nothing but school?

Yeah a guy who was in a couple of my classes was in his late 30s and said he had been a full time student since he was 18. Around 20 years of full coarse loads every semester and not just socially stunted in a cute big bang theory kind of way but a actually creepy kind of way. The kind that might overreact in a huge way and commit suicide. Maybe.

Archived