The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anonymous Protests Anti-Terror Bill- Hacks Ottawa

nucklehead

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cyberattack-takes-down-government-websites-anonymous-claims-responsibility-1.2427033

Federal government websites were hit by a cyberattack Wednesday and the hacking group Anonymous has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The websites for several federal departments -- including Weather.gc.ca, ServiceCanada.gc.ca and Parl.gc.ca -- went down around the lunch hour ET Wednesday.

Many federal employees also lost email service. Some sites, such as National Defence, remained online.

The sites appeared to go back online shortly before 3 p.m. ET.

Treasury Board President Tony Clement confirmed to reporters on Parliament Hill Wednesday afternoon that the shutdowns were caused by a denial of service cyberattack.

“I’ve just been through a briefing on it,” Clement said. “There has been an attack on Government of Canada servers.”

“We are working very diligently to restore services and to find out the origination of the attack,” he added.

“If Canadians have any issues and are being denied access to a GC account, they should phone 1-800-O-Canada,” Clement advised.

Clement could not say whether any data had been stolen or who might have directed the attack.

"The bill was introduced by the Conservatives, supported by the Liberals and opposed by the NDP and Green Party."

So, does this mean we all should vote NDP in the upcoming election?

It seems like many think so. Even though the election is still a ways away, the NDP has moved ahead of the Cons by a few points, while the Liberals are now trailing the pack by about 10 points. (Should've gone with Garneau, Libs)

Even though he had a bit of a stumble when he got the current corporate tax rate wrong, Mulcair has been gaining support by calling for the abolition of the Senate. (In the light of the ongoing Mike Duffy trial, that would seem to be like shooting fish in a barrel, but of the four leaders, Mulcair is making the most noise about it).

The other factor is the obvious decline in popularity of the Conservatives and the failure of Trudeau to capitalize on it.

I'm not normally an NDP supporter, but as someone who lives in a brown and orange stronghold, I could live with my MP being part of the sitting government for a change. Also, as runner up to Mulcair in the leadership race, he's bound to get a cabinet position.

"The bill was introduced by the Conservatives, supported by the Liberals and opposed by the NDP and Green Party."

You'd think "Liberals" would be about preserving liberties rather than backing conservative security measures.

In Trudeau's defense I do believe he had said he would amend the bill, but who knows how much better you can make a piece of $&!#. Clearly the whole thing needs to be scrapped and rethought out from square one.

Hopefully, even if it is only the once.

Archived