The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To win a cup you need at least two superstars

fanfor42

Burke delivered the two Sedins to Vancouver. We went to the cup final.

Naslund and Bertuzzi gave the Canucks a good regular season team that had a shot in the playoffs before failing to capitalize.

Linden and Bure made the 94 team a contender and almost a winner.

It is becoming clear, through hindsight, that a team needs at least 2 superstars if it is going to win a cup. Chicago, Anaheim, LA, Pittsburgh, Colorado, New Jersey all had this. Carolina, Boston, Tampa maybe or maybe not the years they won. But they are the 3 exceptions in the past 15 years.

Conclusion is the heavy majority of cup winners in the last 15 years have had at least 2 or 3 superstars. Maybe 2 or three teams have done it with a balanced roster featuring less stars.

So what is Benning going for? Balanced roster and a good team that hangs around and almost gets there? Or should the Canucks be all out (tanking or fluking) for finding 2 superstars to be in the 80% group that wins a cup with at least 2 superstars.

Sedins are going to retire in a few years. Our highest draft pick since then is Virtanen at 6. Then Horvat at 9. This looks like Carolina Boston or Tampa (pre Stamkos) not the others. So We may wind up with a good team but a cup contender - probably not.

What would you do if you were Benning? Hope to get lucky in the draft or free agency? Settle for making the playoffs each year like Detroit but going nowhere? Or chase success by having some bad years and drafting high?

This is the most important decision facing Benning.

Hey it's summer...time to think about this stuff... if you were in his shoes, what would you do?

We had Sedins Kesler Erhoff Luongo Edler Hamhuis All having Superstar years and failed to get it done. I feel the team that wins the cup is 9 times out of 10 the healthier team. And we were definitely the hurt team. But we were the better team for sure

What I would do. Keep trading and vets for 2nd and 3rd rounders. Hoping we get the next Subban or Bergeron in the 2nd round. I would build around

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-McCann-________

Gaunce-Cassels- Grenier ( best third line in the league if they all turn out the way they can )

#1 PMD(Drafted or traded for) - Tanev

Tryamkin-Subban(?)

Pedan-Clendening

Markstrom

Demko

I think this explanation is slightly flawed. You can make the case that every team in the NHL has at least 2 superstars. We had arguably the most stacked team in 2011, but had significant injuries, probably the most damaging one was Malhotra, who is not a superstar per se but does all the things you need to let your superstars play their game. This elevated the Canucks to the dominant team in the NHL, and had they been healthy would have easily walked to the cup.

A lot of tankers think just because you have a high draft pick means they will get a superstar. You have to be bad at the right time, just ask the oilers when they picked first they got RNH and Yakupov, not exactly studs, while the Pens and Hawks got toews kane, crosby malkin. Tanking is a combination of timing and luck.

My point is yes you need gamebreakers, but they need to be surrounded by players who can support them well. Malhotra could win every faceoff, was the best PK guy in the league by far and was a true character leader. Chicago in their cup runs always seems to have that 3rd or 4th line that comes up with huge goals, its not just Kane and Toews who score in every game.

you need a dynamic defencemen.

OLD NHL Era= Superstar Centreman

New NHL ERA= Superstar Defencemen.

you think L.A and Chicago winning 5 of the last 6 cups depended on all star centremans?

Sure Toews and Kopitar are great players, but without Keith and Doughty those teams are nothing.

You're right, kind of.

A team needs both. Always has.

We had Sedins Kesler Erhoff Luongo Edler Hamhuis All having Superstar years and failed to get it done. I feel the team that wins the cup is 9 times out of 10 the healthier team. And we were definitely the hurt team. But we were the better team for sure

What I would do. Keep trading and vets for 2nd and 3rd rounders. Hoping we get the next Subban or Bergeron in the 2nd round. I would build around

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-McCann-________

Gaunce-Cassels- Grenier ( best third line in the league if they all turn out the way they can )

#1 PMD(Drafted or traded for) - Tanev

Tryamkin-Subban(?)

Pedan-Clendening

Markstrom

Demko

This. We were masacred by injuries in the playoffs and Finals, while Boston was relatively healthy (and much healthier than us as well). I can't even remember a SCF team that had as many injuries as the 2011 Canucks.

Chicago had one injury to their 3rd pairing d-man, while staying quite healthy otherwise. Tampa Bay had big njuries to key players such as Johnson, Kucherov, and Bishop.

The Kings were practically healthy their two trips to the Finals. Quick was injured in 2012, but they had weak opponents, so they got away with it.

Archived