The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign joe Cannata

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed goaltender Joe Cannata.

Cannata, 25, split time this season between the AHL Utica Comets and the ECHL Ontario Reign. With Utica he appeared in five games, posting a record of 3-2-0, a goals against average of 1.99, and a save percentage of .932. In 21 games with the Ontario Reign this season, Cannata posted a record of 12-6-2, a 2.02 goals against average, and a .927 save percentage. He also posted two shutouts for Ontario during the 2015 Playoffs.

The Wakefield, MA native was originally selected by Vancouver in the sixth round, 173rd overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

Doesn't really change anything. Markstrom isn't going back to the AHL, regardless of what's happening with our goaltending-situation. But nice to see Cannata get re-signed. Thought he deserved a better fate than ECHL-hockey. I think it's safe to say that Eriksson is gone though.

I thought Benning would think outside the box and go for a guy like Whistle or Appleby. I'm not sure Cannata can be the guy for Utica heading forward.

But that may not be the plan: at this point they need to have something tied down, whether its the projected starter or the projected back-up.

I thought Benning would think outside the box and go for a guy like Whistle or Appleby. I'm not sure Cannata can be the guy for Utica heading forward.

Cannata can absolutely be the guy in Utica. All he has done is put up good numbers wherever he has played. This year he was stuck behind an NHL calibre goaltender in Markstrom and an AHL-equivelent all star in Eriksson. But when he did play, he put up solid numbers.

He's always looked like a confident starting goaltender all the way back to when he turned Merrimack into a legit program while he was there.

I've always liked this kid and am glad to see him re-signed

Archived