The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks sign joe Cannata

You are grossly underrating Cannata's abilities. He was a victim of our depth.

He played 28 games in the AHL in the 2013-14 season and had a 11-12-1 record, .907 SV% and a 2.83 GAA, while last season he spent most of his time in the ECHL. He may have taken a good step in 14-15, playing well in Ontario and even in those 5 games he got in Utica, but I think he still needs to be better and more consistent in the pro level. I hope you're right and he's good enough to get the starting job in Utica.

Cannata will likely share the net with Whistle this year. Mgmt liked him last year, but didn't have room to sign him.

Still,

Miller

Markstrom/Lack

Cannata

Whistle

with Demko in the wings is not bad goalie depth.

nvm it's Jackson thanks google.

Good. He can back up Eriksson with Markstrom in the NHL. Maybe he can even surprise and challenge for the starting role.

I don't think it's alarming to state that he'd have to beat out Ericsson to be the #1 in Utica (assuming we get Ericsson to remain). I don't see how that "grossly underrates" him.

I'm pretty sure Eriksson has hinted he won't return if it means he'll play in the AHL. That was during the season at some point, but I doubt his vision has changed on that even with the good run they had this year. He is still far and away from being with the big club as we have guys here well ahead of him on the chart. I really hope he stays though. He's got great potential too.

Good thing we have Cannata back. It would have been a terrible waste to let him go. I think he is pretty close to being a starter in the AHL now.

He played 28 games in the AHL in the 2013-14 season and had a 11-12-1 record, .907 SV% and a 2.83 GAA, while last season he spent most of his time in the ECHL. He may have taken a good step in 14-15, playing well in Ontario and even in those 5 games he got in Utica, but I think he still needs to be better and more consistent in the pro level. I hope you're right and he's good enough to get the starting job in Utica.

That 13-14 season was also Uticas first season as a franchise. Pretty sure they started that season with a 10-12 game losing streak.

I don't think it's alarming to state that he'd have to beat out Ericsson to be the #1 in Utica (assuming we get Ericsson to remain). I don't see how that "grossly underrates" him.

I'm grossly sorry for not making it clear that I was assuming Ericsson was gone.

Don't be pooping in my cookie jar

Don't sleep on Cannata. He's got the ability to start in the AHL.

I think the year in the ECHL was good for him, and he had some struggles moving to the pro game. I agree he's technically sound though and one of our best puck handlers, so with a good backup he can absolutely be an AHL starter. Hopefully he runs with it.

Whistle got a PTO last year for the young stars tourney. is it out of the question to assume Benning might offer him another and or a contract and slot him in with the K Wings and or as a back up to the Comets knowing ericsson might be gone?

We'll need somebody, and he's got a shot over most others we've tried through the years. Maybe Benning signs someone with a bit more experience but isn't NHL level, but we'll have to see.

EDIT: from yesterday:

NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports

Just talked with goalie Joe Cannata who signed with the #Canucks.

Cannata : “The goal is to play in Utica, the feedback I'm getting is that they will put me in that position.“ #Canucks

Cannata says next year is a big year for him, #Canucks have treated him good the past 3 years, that's why he re-signed in Vancouver.

I'm pretty sure Eriksson has hinted he won't return if it means he'll play in the AHL. That was during the season at some point, but I doubt his vision has changed on that even with the good run they had this year. He is still far and away from being with the big club as we have guys here well ahead of him on the chart. I really hope he stays though. He's got great potential too.

Good thing we have Cannata back. It would have been a terrible waste to let him go. I think he is pretty close to being a starter in the AHL now.

That's likely a monetary thing.

I'd imagine if they offered him ~$200K to play in Utica....he'd have a good think on it ;)

Is Demko not able to play for the Comets next season at all? He turns 20 in December.

Or does age have anything to do with it? He's playing for Boston College. Is he committed to that for awhile? Too bad.

I believe he is committed to BC for one more year.

Cannata Is being underrated as a prospect I feel. He got pushed down by the numbers game last season but with one of Lack or Markstrom being moved and the likely situation that Ericsson goes back to Sweden I see him as Uticas number 1. Also if my memory serves me right Cannata was a hobey baker finalist a couple years back.

Is Demko not able to play for the Comets next season at all? He turns 20 in December.

Or does age have anything to do with it? He's playing for Boston College. Is he committed to that for awhile? Too bad.

I respect a player who finishes their degree, it definitely helps set them up for life after hockey...assuming Demko does finish his degree.

Cannata will likely share the net with Whistle this year. Mgmt liked him last year, but didn't have room to sign him.

Still,

Miller

Markstrom/Lack

Cannata

Whistle

with Demko in the wings is not bad goalie depth.

Austin Lotz was more impressive than Whistle last year and even got invited to main camp despite the fact that Cannata, Eriksson, Markstrom, Lack, Miller were all here.

Would imagine they would give him a look before Whistle.

Archived