The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do you rank our Top 3 Dmen

WestlockWarrior

Or interesting how most everyone is realistic about the quality of the Canucks top three and you seriously overrate them

It's nothing new w. Van fans and the toxic negativity that plagues our fan base.

And over rate ? I said ours is top 8-15.

2 of those 3 are Olympians for power nation teams ( Canada Hamhuis, Edler Sweden) Tanev is no slouch at 3.

I'd take our Top 3 over :

Edmonton

Arizona

Buffalo

Toronto

New Jersey

Carolina

Colorado

Philly

Columbus

Dallas

Pittsburgh

Washington

Detroit

This puts us in the 15 range. After that it can be a toss up between 8-15.

You move up in the draft to get a legit #1 Dman not hope to get one at #23. Canucks haven't had the makings since Luc Bourdon!

Karlsson: 15th

PK Subban: 43rd

Giordano: undrafted

Letang: 62nd

Hedman: 2nd

Shea Weber: 49th

Duncan Keith: 54th

Should I keep on going? Star defensemen are notorious for popping up all over the draft.

It's nothing new w. Van fans and the toxic negativity that plagues our fan base.

And over rate ? I said ours is top 8-15.

2 of those 3 are Olympians for power nation teams ( Canada Hamhuis, Edler Sweden) Tanev is no slouch at 3.

I'd take our Top 3 over :

Edmonton

Arizona

Buffalo

Toronto

New Jersey

Carolina

Colorado

Philly

Columbus

Dallas

Pittsburgh

Washington

Detroit

This puts us in the 15 range. After that it can be a toss up between 8-15.

15th +/- is arguably pretty close.

That said, 15th is not much to write home about particularly with one of our top 3 on the wrong side of his prime and on an expiring contract.

True #1s and #2s log huge minutes when it matters...Canuck's D are lacking when it comes to the "matter" factor.

#1 and #2 are you're "go to" guys...I don't think Canucks have one of those...like Keith and Seabrook, Hedman and Stralman, Gio and Wideman or Russell, Doughty, Muzzin, Subban, Markov.

Yeah, Calgary has a good D.

It's quality that matters and the high end guys have a lot of quality. Canucks D do not have this quality.

Top 15 is two spots from being out of the playoffs...this is where we are.

Exactly.

But that's apparently underrating our D..particularly with our 32 year old Canadian Olympian likely to be gone by this time next year... :rolleyes:

How is it over rating when I say we are 8-15.

Teams like Boston and San Jose weren't mentioned there but Van can make a case for having a better top 3 that those 2 teams.

8-15 range like I said.

8 is generous, 15 is +/- is probably more accurate. And again 1/3 of our top 3 is due to be gone by this time next year.

Or one year further down the wrong side of the mountain if we do retain him, with Edler at the top looking down that same mountainside.

The picture is not currently terribly rosy heading forward there.

Karlsson: 15th

PK Subban: 43rd

Giordano: undrafted

Letang: 62nd

Hedman: 2nd

Shea Weber: 49th

Duncan Keith: 54th

Should I keep on going? Star defensemen are notorious for popping up all over the draft.

Absolutely agree.....and Defence usually take ages to develop fully unless you are a freak of nature and come out of the draft like a Karlsson or Hedman.

Absolutely agree.....and Defence usually take ages to develop fully unless you are a freak of nature and come out of the draft like a Karlsson or Hedman.

There was a lot of people calling Hedman a bust for his first year too :lol:

I don't think this applies anymore, unless by the third season after the draft counts as ages. Maybe fourth. But I think a good chunk of the true greats start in the NHL immediately after the draft.

How is it over rating when I say we are 8-15.

Teams like Boston and San Jose weren't mentioned there but Van can make a case for having a better top 3 that those 2 teams.

8-15 range like I said.

Boston has Chara, Hamilton, Siendberg and Vlasic how on earth do people think are D is better than theirs? SJ has Burns and Vlasic which is a better duo than Edler/Tanev but their bottom guys are comparable.

Tanev, Edler, Hammer are slightly above average d-men. Slightly above average doesnt get you anywhere, since neither of these guys can play 30+ minutes, work the power play, or be a true quarterback in puck moving. Today's NHL is proving you need one of these type of players in order to win. Tanev is the best defensively, Edler shows flashes once every 20 games, and Hammer has lost a step and isnt the player he once was. Slightly above average can get you in the playoffs, but not past the punishment of the 2nd round in a tough western conference.

Edler's a solid #2 on a good team. Tanev and Hamhuis are solid #3 or # 4 guys on a good team.

We're in serious need of some top end talent on our back end.

Have to agree with this. I think any team would be happy with Tanev or Hammer at #3 and Edler at #1. So all we need is Norris candidate to head up the list and we are in good shape.

Archived