The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do you rank our Top 3 Dmen

WestlockWarrior

I don't think this applies anymore, unless by the third season after the draft counts as ages. Maybe fourth. But I think a good chunk of the true greats start in the NHL immediately after the draft.

l00% agree with that part. Although when you look back at the majority of middle and top tier D men they showed great potential early but had to really hone their game at the NHL level especially offensively. D men are asked to do so much more in the modern day game that I think regardless of skill level there is still a big learning curve.

On the whole, top to bottom, I'd say our defence is around 15th best in the NHL. As a top pairing, Edler and Tanev are fantastic defensively and a great shutdown pair but bring little offence, so on the whole I'd put them around 13th overall.

Quite frankly, you don't win a Cup unless your whole defence is top-5 in the league and your top pairing is one of the best in the league. That's simply the way it goes, and is why I'm surprised teams don't try harder to draft better defencemen. Instead the Canucks tend to keep going for centers and wingers, who can be acquired far easier than a star defenceman. We need to put more stock into drafting defencemen.

Tanev was a fantastic find but on those top-10 defences he's a 4th defenceman at best. Edler is a star on the Canucks blueline but again, he lacks true NHL star quality and would be a fantastic 2nd or 3rd defenceman on most good defences.

We have always, currently are and still will be lacking star defencemen for a long time unless some serious changes are made. Benning basically has to draft defencemen in the 1st round, trade for a 2nd round pick and draft another defenceman and maybe get a 3rd rounder and draft another to undo the damage done to this team's pathetic defensive prospect pool.

... Alex Edler: 91st

Yes Edler is a great defenseman, as much as this fan base under values him

Exactly what has Edler done to qualify as "a great defenseman" in the NHL? I can't help but compare him to Hedman and notice that he comes up short as an overall package that one would want to see for a guy with size and a somewhat similar skill set. Truth is, Hedman has clearly arrived in this league, while Edler, at age 28 and when approaching 500 career games is someone who CDC'rs were still talking about in terms of his "potential" within the last year. If anyone has seen 2010-2011 Alexander Edler lately, I'd sure like to know where.

Exactly what has Edler done to qualify as "a great defenseman" in the NHL? I can't help but compare him to Hedman and notice that he comes up short as an overall package that one would want to see for a guy with size and a somewhat similar skill set. Truth is, Hedman has clearly arrived in this league, while Edler, at age 28 and when approaching 500 career games is someone who CDC'rs were still talking about in terms of his "potential" within the last year. If anyone has seen 2010-2011 Alexander Edler lately, I'd sure like to know where.

Hedman is a #1D, Edler is a #2D. That doesn't mean Edler isn't a great #2, he's just not a #1.

Vancouver is for sure in the 20 range for top 3 defenders. You're either over valuing elder tanev hamhuis or your under valuing other teams' dmen

20th ???? Which of these 2 teams top 3 dmen do u prefer to put the Canucks on the 20th spot.

Edmonton

Carolina

Toronto

Arizona

Colorado

Dallas

Philadelphia

Buffalo

New Jersey

Columbus

Detroit

Vancouver is for sure in the 20 range for top 3 defenders. You're either over valuing elder tanev hamhuis or your under valuing other teams' dmen

Hamhuis made Canada's most competitive d core ever and played more minutes than PK. Edler was on Sweden's top pair with Karlsson...

Watching Chicago win the cup w. 4 Dmen makes me wonder how far off our Dcore is from competing.

Where would you rank our top 3 Dmen as a group.

Elder

Tanev

Hamhuis

I think that is still a really solid top 3 and I'd rank them In the top 10 for sure. The good news for the Nux is its much much easier to fix the bottom 3 than it is to assemble a top 3

Where do the Canucks rank ?

1.Nashville ( Weber, Josi, Jones )

2. Chicago ( Keith , Seabrook, Hjlmarsson)

3. NYR ( McDonough, Girrardi, Staal )

4. CGY. ( Giordano, Brodie. Russel )

30. ( Schultz , Ferrence, Nikytin)

I think you've got Calgary quite high, but the thing that all of those teams have is a guy that can play 30 mins a night no problem. I like our 3 guys, but we don't have that guy that can stay out there forever and do everything. Not many teams win a cup without one.

Hedman is a #1D, Edler is a #2D. That doesn't mean Edler isn't a great #2, he's just not a #1.

Maybe you & I have a different definition of what "great" is then. But, the reality is that Edler is PAID like a #1 and is expected to PLAY like one. THAT'S why he's on the 'Nucks #1 pairing. As far as I'm concerned, both he & Tanev are "#1's" by default and have no business being described by anyone as "great".

20th ???? Which of these 2 teams top 3 dmen do u prefer to put the Canucks on the 20th spot.

Edmonton

Carolina

Toronto

Arizona

Colorado

Dallas

Philadelphia

Buffalo

New Jersey

Columbus

Detroit

Just copy and pasting off of Jazz's list, and then switching it to my order, as well as adding in some players he might have forgotten

1. NSH (Weber, Josi, Jones/Ekblad)

2. NYR (McDonagh, Girardi, Yandle)

3. CHI (Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson)

4. CGY (Giordano, Russell/Wideman/Brodie)

5. STL (Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Bouwmeester)

6. LAK (Martinez, Doughty, Muzzin)

7. ANA (Lindholm/Vatanen/Fowler/Beauchemin/Despres)

8. MTL (Subban, Markov, Emelin)

9. BOS (Krug, Hamilton, Chara)

10. WSH (Carlson, Niskanen, Green)

11. TBL (Hedman, Garrison, Stralman)

12. DAL (Goligoski, Daley, Klingberg)

13. DET (Kronwall, DeKeyser, Quincey)

14. WPG (Trouba, Byfuglien, Enstrom)

15. MIN (Suter, Spurgeon, Scandella)

16. PIT (Letang, Maatta, Martin)

17. OTT (Karlsson, Ceci, Phillips/Methot)

18. COL (Johnson, Hejda, Barrie)

19. VAN (Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis)

20. NYI (Boychuk, Leddy, de Haan)

21. PHI (Streit, MacDonald, Del Zotto)

22. CBJ (Murray, Johnson, Tyutin)

23. TOR (Phaneuf, Rielly, Polak)

24. FLA (Kulikov, Ekblad, Gudbranson)

25. SJS (Burns, Braun, Mueller)

26. BUF (Bogosian, Gorges, Ristolainen)

27. ARZ (OEL, Moore, Stone)

28. CAR (Faulk, Hainsey, Liles)

29. NJD (Salvador, Larsson, Gelinas)

30. EDM (Ference, Schultz, Klefbom)

Didn't bother changing anything below us if I felt they weren't better than us

Anyway, I do not see how you can argue than any of the top 11, 12-16 in my opinion are pretty clearly better than us as well. From 17-22 was the range I thought the Canucks belonged in, and I have them at 19.

I'm not very clear as to why you see us as top 10... at all

Also, even though Edmonton sucks... I wouldn't have them at 30 lol

I think you've got Calgary quite high, but the thing that all of those teams have is a guy that can play 30 mins a night no problem. I like our 3 guys, but we don't have that guy that can stay out there forever and do everything. Not many teams win a cup without one.

As much as it hurts to say, I agree with him that Calgary deserves to be that high IMO

Hamhuis made Canada's most competitive d core ever and played more minutes than PK. Edler was on Sweden's top pair with Karlsson...

Please don't contribute logic into this thread.

That's just two statistics out of so much more...

Byron Bitz used to play on the top line ahead of Kesler and Burrows, must mean he's better than Kesler and Burrows, right?

With the right partner, Edler is easily a number 1 D on most teams

By that logic, Duncan Keith would be a #3 if paired with Yannick Weber. So no, he's not.

Edler's a solid #2 and there's nothing wrong with that.

Archived