The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Reason Why weve Never had a LEGIT #1 Dman

WestlockWarrior

Motorcycles in Bourdon's case

Car accident in Yann Sauvé's case

Puck in the eye in Ohlund's case

Back injury in Edler's case

All of them had a shot at true stud #1 d-man.

For all the Canucks suck at drafting crowd I offer a challenge.

find out who the Canucks could have drafted if they merely took the next best player available according to central scouting.

Wish I knew what Florida was asking for the Ekblad pick. When the draft started on tsn and said the canucks are in talks i got pretty pumped. Linden sure looked down the rest of the draft, franchise d man like that dont come around that often.

Canucks first #1 d-man pick was Dale Tallon. Truly a gifted dman but they through him right into the

NHL and I think he could have been developed better than that. Quickly I would mention Ohlund and

even Guevramont(sorry about the spelling). Bourdon never had enough games to make any conclusion as to

where he would have evolved too.

We've had a couple of chances to get #1-2 Dmen In the draft but passed. Our scouting on DMEn have been atrocious !!

Can you imagine how differently our franchise history would be had we not made some of these mistake.

Drafted Within 7 spots from where we were then picking.

Kiril Koltslov instead of Duncan Keith

Nathan Smith instead of Niklas Kronwall

Cody Hodgson instead of Erik Karlsson or even Tyler Myers.

Cory Schneider instead of Mike Green

Mason Raymond instead of Kristopher Letang

Taylor Ellington instead of PK SUBBAN

Anton Rodin instead of Tyson Barrie

Jury is still out on Shea Theodore whom we passed on for Shinkaruk

just so you know we could of had Ray Borque also..

Who's to say that if the Canucks drafted these guys they'd have even developed the same way?

Its pretty well documented how terrible we've been bringing guys up to the NHL and there is just a good of chance management would have wrecked a guy like Keith rather than have him ascend to #1 status.

We've had a couple of chances to get #1-2 Dmen In the draft but passed. Our scouting on DMEn have been atrocious !!

Can you imagine how differently our franchise history would be had we not made some of these mistake.

Drafted Within 7 spots from where we were then picking.

Kiril Koltslov instead of Duncan Keith

Nathan Smith instead of Niklas Kronwall

Cody Hodgson instead of Erik Karlsson or even Tyler Myers.

Cory Schneider instead of Mike Green

Mason Raymond instead of Kristopher Letang

Taylor Ellington instead of PK SUBBAN

Anton Rodin instead of Tyson Barrie

Jury is still out on Shea Theodore whom we passed on for Shinkaruk

A lot of teams passed on those D men...just goes to show that you never really know what type of player a draft pick could turn out to be.

This post would have been more accurate if you posted the Canucks drafting and development record. The 2011 team had the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Raymond, Schneids so plenty of decent development there. However, absolute reaches like Nathan Smith, Rodin, Schroeder etc really hit home since even the consensus rankings had them nowhere near their selection pick. Seems for a while there we went on a swedish binge, rather than getting some rough and tumble canadian kids.

Our best draft day selections in order: Bure, Linden, The Sedins, Kesler and Schneider.

For sure Bourdon would have been a great defenseman. He used a tragic and gruesome death as a witty non sequitor in a post.

If you were Luc's brother and someone made that statement, how would you react to such a flippant comment?

grow up

I hope we draft a D-man, and that the Canucks management forbid any future prospects from riding motorcycles.

The thing with D-man is that they take a little longer to develop. I believe this is the reason Benning traded Forsling for Clendening. If the WJC were any indication, Forsling looked to have an NHL caliber slapper on the PP, but at least 3-4 years away from the bigs. Lets hope this doesnt deter Benning from grabbing one in the draft, remember he has gone on record as saying he will draft the "best player available" be it D or forward.

This post would have been more accurate if you posted the Canucks drafting and development record. The 2011 team had the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Raymond, Schneids so plenty of decent development there. However, absolute reaches like Nathan Smith, Rodin, Schroeder etc really hit home since even the consensus rankings had them nowhere near their selection pick. Seems for a while there we went on a swedish binge, rather than getting some rough and tumble canadian kids.

Our best draft day selections in order: Bure, Linden, The Sedins, Kesler and Schneider.

I don't agree with your selections

Archived