The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Reason Why weve Never had a LEGIT #1 Dman

WestlockWarrior

Anybody have a list yet of a team missing on franchise 1-2.dmen by 7 spots in 7 different Years??

I don't doubt it's out there I just don't think its that normal on how the Canucks have missed out.

Well in all those same years multiple other teams within 6 picks all missed on those same ones. Gonna go out on a limb here and say most, if not all teams, have had similar runs of missing superstar draft picks. High end D are notorious for being hard to scout and commonly taken from the later rounds subsequently.

Jamie Benn - 129th = 1st line Center for the Stars. Lot's of GMs passed over this guy too.

As many here have said, hindsight is 20/20, and it's hard to see 3-5 years into the future to determine what a player will become.

Jamie Benn is a winger

Canucks first #1 d-man pick was Dale Tallon. Truly a gifted dman but they through him right into the

NHL and I think he could have been developed better than that. Quickly I would mention Ohlund and

even Guevramont(sorry about the spelling). Bourdon never had enough games to make any conclusion as to

where he would have evolved too.

Paul Rhinehart should be in that mix. although not drafted by us

We have had #1 defencemen. We have not had a #1 elite level defenceman. There is a difference.

On another note: the reason you haven't won the lottory is because you picked the wrong numbers.

Our draft history does suck though.

We've had a couple of chances to get #1-2 Dmen In the draft but passed. Our scouting on DMEn have been atrocious !!

Can you imagine how differently our franchise history would be had we not made some of these mistake.

Drafted Within 7 spots from where we were then picking.

Kiril Koltslov instead of Duncan Keith

Nathan Smith instead of Niklas Kronwall

Cody Hodgson instead of Erik Karlsson or even Tyler Myers.

Cory Schneider instead of Mike Green

Mason Raymond instead of Kristopher Letang

Taylor Ellington instead of PK SUBBAN

Anton Rodin instead of Tyson Barrie

Jury is still out on Shea Theodore whom we passed on for Shinkaruk

We could have signed the best D man to ever play the modern game in #27 Scott Niedermayer ... He wanted to sign and play for Vancouver but Nonis made the biggest mistake of his career and signed Naslund instead . I am not knocking Naslund he was a great player and a class act. I truly believe not signing #27 was a mistake one that may have cost us a cup.

It's true that you can't use hindsight to hate on individual draft choices. However, if you look at the big picture (our overall draft record) it's true that we haven't been doing the best job of bringing in good prospects. Whether it's due to poor scouting, poor development, or bad luck is up for debate.

Besides Neely, those arent franchise altering draft picks. Those are excellent depth guys though

Schneider and Kesler are?

Smyl was franchise altering for this franchise

Larionov is in the Hall of Fame, depth players don't make the HoF

Larionov is one of only 2 players ever to win 2 Olympic gold medals, 2 Stanley cups and 2 world championships. I guess he was a depth player after all.

Christian Ehrhoff was as close it as got.

He manned our powerplay for a good 2 years, and it was the deadliest powerplay we ever had in team history with exception of the 94 version of the Canucks, which we had Jeff Brown, (deadliest offensive dman in canuck history)

With the help of Christian Ehrhoff, the Canucks for the 1st time in team history, had an art ross winner, and for the 1st time in team history we had the number 1 powerplay in the NHL.

the people that say "oh we don't need him" really baffles me.

Archived