The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[video] 2015 Draft Preview with JB: "hoping at add at least a 2nd round pick"

TheRussianRocket.

It is true that this interview and that last two on TSN 1040 are all very similar. But there is a slight evolution. One change I noticed was that Benning mentioned Grenier in the last two interviews as a prospect who has developed a lot and could challenge for a spot on the big team team. But Grenier did not get mentioned here. I suspect that does not mean anything and that Benning just kind of forgot to mention Grenier. But there is an outside chance that it means that Benning has a tentative deal in place involving Grenier.

The other slight change is that it is becoming increasingly clear that Lack is likely to go and Markstrom is likely to stay. And Benning clearly expects to get a second round pick for Lack.

Also, Benning was more clear in this interview about the obvious point that the Canucks will not be signing any high profile free agents due to cap space issues.

I would like to hear a reporter ask how Benning plans to deal with the cap problem. Right now the Canucks are close to the expected cap with only 17 players under contract. Given their continuing contribution to Luongo's contract I don't think that they can fill out a 23 man roster as things stand. Someone needs to go (in addition to Lack). I think the CDC consensus is that Higgins is likely but I think it is actually wide open.

Yes the cap issue seems to get lost in discussion. I am not sure about Higgins being the answer, his cap hit is low (i think 2.5 mill) and he still provides PK and experience. I gotta think one of our defencemen has to go since they all are making close to 4 mill per and we plan on bringing Corrado and Clendening up.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him trade vrbata for a pick as they were very unhappy with him during the playoffs and he'll be a pending ufa after the season. Trading him now may get you more than trading him at next year's deadline.

I fully expect lack to get traded for a pick and have come to peace with it because he deserves to go to a better organization that will treat him better than benning has. The lack of respect benning has shown him is just too sickening to watch anymore, so hope his next team treats him a lot better than the canucks have. :(

Wouldn't surprise me to see him trade vrbata for a pick as they were very unhappy with him during the playoffs and he'll be a pending ufa after the season. Trading him now may get you more than trading him at next year's deadline.

No it won't. At the tradedeadline the Cap isn't that much of a issue because more is made available since the season is 3/4 done. IE 4 million in cap at the beginning becomes 7million at the trade deadline.

Also i wonder what Vrbata did to piss off Desjardins. Vrbata still has a NTC/NMC and can pick the teams he can go to plus it damages the teams ability to sign UFA's in the future. The only way Vrbata is getting traded is if he demands a trade

No it won't. At the tradedeadline the Cap isn't that much of a issue because more is made available since the season is 3/4 done. IE 4 million in cap at the beginning becomes 7million at the trade deadline.

Also i wonder what Vrbata did to piss off Desjardins. Vrbata still has a NTC/NMC and can pick the teams he can go to plus it damages the teams ability to sign UFA's in the future. The only way Vrbata is getting traded is if he demands a trade

Some teams may pay more for vrbata now because they'll have him for the full year instead of being a rental. I don't think trading him would affect our ability to sign ufas in the future because he's a pending ufa after this season and it's common for those players to get traded. I don't think we'll be contending next year so it's smart to trade him now or at the deadline instead of letting him walk for nothing. I'll be disappointed if we don't trade him as that would be bad asset management. It's only worth keeping pending ufas if you think you have a shot at the cup and need them for a playoff run.

Some teams may pay more for vrbata now because they'll have him for the full year instead of being a rental. I don't think trading him would affect our ability to sign ufas in the future because he's a pending ufa after this season and it's common for those players to get traded. I don't think we'll be contending next year so it's smart to trade him now or at the deadline instead of letting him walk for nothing. I'll be disappointed if we don't trade him as that would be bad asset management. It's only worth keeping pending ufas if you think you have a shot at the cup and need them for a playoff run.

Trading Vrbata is like getting a 2 year contract at work, then getting lay off after a year. Why would you sign with a place that doesn't hold true to there contract? Trust is everything when it comes to landed UFAs and signning a guy to just turn around and trade him is worse than Gillies offering Backes a offer sheet. You are alienating yourself from the rest of the league. Most of the guys who were traded with 1 year left didn't sign with the team the previous year. IF he's traded it will only be because he wants to go to a contender or because the team isn't competiting for a playoff spot at the tradedeadline. Keep in mind at the tradedeadline 20-24 teams are still "in the hunt"

I really think JB's best bet to get better is to move up into the top ten or trade Markstrom + for a top 2 d-man

EG.

Trade #1

Markstrom/Lack + 23 OA to SJ

for

9th OA + 3rd rnd pick

Trade #2

Bieksa + 4th rnd pick to Colorado

for

2nd rnd pick(40th OA)

Trade #3

Vrbata + Cassels + 40th OA to Nashville

for

Shea Weber

If JB cant get a pick in the top ten and trade #23 oa for a top 2 dman

If JB cant get 2nd and 3rd picks then players who can be a part of the re-tool/re-build is always an option. Either way Benning needs to turn this roster over and fast

I really think JB's best bet to get better is to move up into the top ten or trade Markstrom + for a top 4 d-man

EG.

Trade #1

Markstrom/Lack + 23 OA to SJ

for

9th OA + 3rd rnd pick

Trade #2

Bieksa + 4th rnd pick to Colorado

for

2nd rnd pick(40th OA)

Trade #3

Vrbata + Higgins for picks if JB cant get in the top ten and trade #23 oa for a top 3 dman

If JB cant get picks then players who can be a part of the re-tool/re-build is always an option. Either way Benning needs to turn this roster over and fast

Please post your proposals in the proposals section so we don't have to seen your proposals

REALLY Lack/Markstrom and 23 for 9th overall and a 3rd rounder :picard:

You basically said 23 overall = 9th overall <_<:frantic::picard:

Please post your proposals in the proposals section so we don't have to seen your proposals

REALLY Lack/Markstrom and 23 for 9th overall and a 3rd rounder :picard:

You basically said 23 overall = 9th overall <_<:frantic::picard:

Didn't say that at all. Lack is worth well more than a 3rd that's what equals the jump from 23 to 9. I believe he's worth a mid to late 1st. Schneider got the 9th OA and most thought that was too little.

Didn't say that at all. Lack is worth well more than a 3rd that's what equals the jump from 23 to 9. I believe he's worth a mid to late 1st. Schneider got the 9th OA and most thought that was too little.

Cassels Vrbata and a pick for Weber lost me.

Virtanen Edler and Horvat would be the price for Weber

Stop playing NHL 15

The first part is ok.

Schneider>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lack for reason that have been exampled in a million other threads

you're again saying 21+(20-30) = 9th overall. that is a GROSS under esitmation of the value of the 9th overall pick. Would you trade 9th overall for two picks in the 20's? if so i'm glad you're not the GM of the Canucks/any NHL team

The first part is ok.

Schneider>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lack for reason that have been exampled in a million other threads

you're again saying 21+(20-30) = 9th overall. that is a GROSS under esitmation of the value of the 9th overall pick. Would you trade 9th overall for two picks in the 20's? if so i'm glad you're not the GM of the Canucks/any NHL team

I hear the Leafs are looking for a replacement...

Archived