The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bieksa will only waive NTC if new team offers contract extension

I don't find this that credible.

Fair enough but one or two of our waiver-eligible D do have to go if we don't want to risk losing them for nothing, and there's a bigger crowd on the right than the left side, so it wouldn't surprise me if Benning has at least had a conversation with Bieksa about his future, if not outright asking him to waive.

That'd be stupid on our part. Not the type of return you'd want lol and for Wilson? Guy's a goon. Wouldn't trade Grenier alone for him.

You clearly haven't seen him play if you think he tops out as a goon.

He's the same age as Gaunce. Defensively responsible, hits hard, works hard, and has a mean streak.

Think of a younger, more physical and meaner Matthias.

Based on what? The fact that a two bit, fracktard, chucklehead like Darren Dreger made some passing comment that it might happen. You know these idiots base most of their reports on speculation, especially at this time of year, don't you?

No argument about Dreger and TSN: here's the thinking:

Fair enough but one or two of our waiver-eligible D do have to go if we don't want to risk losing them for nothing, and there's a bigger crowd on the right than the left side, so it wouldn't surprise me if Benning has at least had a conversation with Bieksa about his future, if not outright asking him to waive.

He probably isn't asking for a long term deal, probably a couple of years after the current one so that he doesn't have to move his family until he is done his career.

I still think that Hamhuis is going to be the surprise move on defence.

Part of me would hate to see him go... he's the type of leader and personality that every locker room needs. I think the effects of him leaving could be more substantial than we'd initially assume.

His on ice play is declining though, no doubt. I don't think he's as terrible as some people around here would suggest, but if a team is willing to overpay us for him I think it's something we would have to do for our long term success.

A deal I posted coupla' days prior:

TO wants some character, with Babcock arriving...

Bieksa: Ontario fans would love him..especially off-ice. Character & leadership; paired with fleet LHD, like Reilly & Gardiner.

Vey: Just a cheap transition to younger era. Then can deal Bozak-types for cap space.

Corrado & McCann: 2 more local guys to build with.

Miller(retain 1 mill): TO feared & respected him. They could then deal Bernier/Reimer.

2016 2nd(becomes a 1st, if we make PO's, or Kessel pots 40 goals)

TOTAL: 10~12 mill cap, depending if contracts slide/RFA, etc...

Canucks receive:

Kessel: His offense & speed show traces of Bure.

Polak: RHD, 230 lbs.

2015 3rd.

Still confused why we stuck with a Hamhuis-Weber pairing all through the playoffs even though a Hamhuis-Bieksa pairing was proven and battle tested. Considering the Sbisa-Bieksa pairing was as awful as a Sbisa-Weber pairing, then you could have at least played a Hamhuis-Bieksa pairing more minutes. Edler-Tanev & Hamhuis-Bieksa could have played the majority of the game. It was a bit strange to see, certainly. But there was a lot of strange goings on in that series.

Anyway, at the end of the day a Bieksa trade has been coming for years. As soon as the Sedins were re-signed, that meant all other established vets here would eventually have to go. I don't have a problem with it though, as it would be nice to keep our respected mvp-type players around for this period. Hopefully they don't get Sundin'd, Alfied or Iginla'd out of town by the end though. I always thought that was shameful, and typical for Canadian teams to do to their best players.

Why has Burrows trade talk ceased? He's got to be on the block as well. I know he refused to waive before, but so has Bieksa. Maybe it's because certain teams have more of a need for Bieksa.

The Garrison trade gave us 2 things; cap space, and a moveable asset.

The Bieksa trade can bring us 2 things; cap space and moveable assets

Moving Garrison allowed us to sign Vrbata, who I would take over Garrison 10 times out of ten. It also gave us a moveable asset, which we used to trade for a prospect. Moving Bieksa would give us flexibility in free agency or in trades where we can pry players away from teams who are close to the cap. It also gives us a pick or two, which will allow us to be younger. Trades like these allow us to improve now, and for the future. Like what Benning wants. Also, we have Corrado and Clendening who are NHL ready, and are much cheaper

Yeah that cap space sure came in handy last year....Good thing we were up against the cap huh? Oh wait no we weren't. Maybe it was Benning's way to suck up to the owner. Moving a dman in his prime that has a cap hit of 4.6m and plays 20+ minutes a night and has a cannon of a shot, is a local kid and has high "integrity" is not a smart move. If cap space was the issue there were/are a tonne of other options....trade Higgins, move burrows, don't sign miller to 6M a year! Benning got a free pass last year but some of his moves need to be called out for being just stupid!

I watch caps as much as I watch the canucks. Wilson can play anywhere in the lineup and spent a good chunk of time on the first line with Backstrom and Ovi. He didnt look out of place. Hes got hand and he hits everything. Best case scenario Wilson becomes a Dustin Brown. Worst case hes a Torres. Either way hes an effective player in the post season. If Im the caps hes not the person I trade for Bieska after likely losing Ward to UFA.

I dont really see that rumour having any legs since caps dont need Bieska, they already have Orpik whos meaner, younger and better than Juice. They also have niskanen, Carlson, Alzner in there top four. Bowey and Orlov on the back. No real need for a 4.6 cap hit depth D man. What caps really need is a RW to play with Ovi.

Meh, I just don't think Wilson would be a smart player to get and I never said Caps would take Bieksa, just replied to a poster who said we should get Wilson back if he was. And Orpik is actually older but yea, a lot better than Juice.

Why has Burrows trade talk ceased? He's got to be on the block as well. I know he refused to waive before, but so has Bieksa. Maybe it's because certain teams have more of a need for Bieksa.

IMO Burrows stays over Bieksa or even Higgins. He can play on any line while putting up still decent numbers, PK, PP, is a heart and soul guy who'd go through a wall for his team. He's also a good fall back to play with the Sedins if Kassian (or Vrbata) get injured or slump (or get traded).

Yes, his contract's a touch pricey and he's getting up there in mileage but I hang on to him personally.

Benning got a free pass last year but some of his moves need to be called out for being just stupid!

Sure but moving Garrison wan't one of them.

Garrison was redundant and sucking up cap space on an already mediocre and overpaid D core while being underutilized. Moving him allowed us to sign Vrbata (who we'll likely flip for picks this deadline).

Signing MIller at $6mX3 though....

I am not opposed to moving him. It would give us more flexibility with the cap which we could use to re-sign our RFAs, sign McQuaid and re-sign Richie. I have a bit of doubt though.

What is this package you speak of?

Oleksiak and maybe a pick I believe was the rumor.

And Sbisa......yeesh!

Meh... the Sbisa signing doesn't bother me much with some context (hope/capacity for him to improve, our lack of D options, we're going to have a ton of cap space shortly etc).

Is it a great deal? No. But it's got the capacity to be anything from "meh" to "wow" depending on if Sbisa can get better. I thought he actually played quite well in the top 4 when we had all those injuries.

A more complimentary partner wouldn't hurt either. I think a Sbisa/Tanev pairing could actually work quite well from now in a year.

Archived