The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favorite Canucks Team

johnnyhockey

Close call between 1994 and the 2011 powerhouse. What is the difference to me?

The 1994 team was an underdog group, who had loads of talent but were fairly inconsistent throughout the regular season. Led by our first true franchise Captain, and the most talented player we have ever had in Bure, this team was exciting to watch. It was an odd mix of players who some how banded together during that playoff run. Nobody expected them to beat Calgary, and the run offered so many big-time memories. McCleans kick save, Bure's breakaway OT goal, Greg Adams getting rid of the leafs, and in the finals they showed 110% heart.

I will never forget down 3-1 in the series, Games 5 and 6 were an absolute thrill ride, to come back like that showed guts and mettle. Game 7 Linden scoring twice, the best performance I have ever seen considering he was injured multiple times, and the post by Lafeyette, Bure's last shot with seconds left...this team was the definition of a team banding together at just the right time with players who showed a never die attitude.

The 2011 team was the first time in Canuck history that we were clearly the best team in the league. Every game you knew we would come out on top, this was the deepest team we have ever had, not one weakness. The magic provided by the Sedins was something we will probably never see again, so many highlight reel goals. Our defence was excellent, could move the puck, and everytime we were on the PP I felt like we could score. This was the first time where I could watch a game and know with confidence that we were the better team.

The playoff run also provided great memories, finally beating Chicago in an epic 7 gamer, the 2nd round where Kesler displayed the greatest single player impact I have ever seen (the breakaway goal splitting between Weber comes to mind), and in the finals up 2-0 it felt like it was our destiny. Sadly, because we were favored and had such a great team, the heartbreak was too deep to remember this group as fondly as 1994. We had it all that year, and it felt like we were robbed because the way the refs and Campbell called the finals.

So the difference to me is that the 1994 team was an underdog, and the run seemed to be positive because we werent expected to go anywhere, and the way they battled back from adversity in those playoffs only to come up one goal post short. That is much easier to swallow than in 2011 when we knew we were better than any other team, only to be shafted by injuries and shoddy reffing.

The 94 team by miles... :frantic:

Why?

The 2011 team was a better team, actually the best team that season. (without all injuries I think we would have won the cup!)

But that team wasn't even half as fun to watch as the 94 team. The trio Linden, Bure and McLean were so much better in all comparisons. Sure, Luongo may have been a better goalie all around, but McLean was spectacular that run, way better than Luongo in 2011. (He was better other times though). And Linden played like a god, not to mention Bure... I mean, if you've actually seen him play, specifically 94, there's no way you can enjoy watching the 2011 team instead!?

But that's just me... to see those underdogs (the trio didn't have as good players surrounding them, but more character ones) lead by this trio was remarkable!! I'd love to see that again in the future, but I guess that won't happen...

I liked the 02-03 Canucks.

WCE, Jovocop and Ohlund and Salo. sedins and Linden.

That season was probably our best chance to Stanley Cup, honestly. Both Detroit and Colorado, who were the odds-on favourites, were eliminated in the first round by the Ducks (8th seeded) and the Wild (6th seeded). It's too bad we choked a 3-1 series lead to the Wild.

06-07 Luongo was unreal. The WCE years, those were fun games to watch. If we had a better dman and possibly a better goalie we could have gone places (we lost to Calgary in OT game 7 without Bertuzzi and Calgary ended up making it to the finals - makes you wonder). Also, 2011.

Regular Season: 92/93 and 10/11. 92/93 was the first time I saw a Canucks team that was actually good! You could actually believe that they might do something in the playoffs (they then proceeded to lay an egg against the Kings...) The team had a ton of scoring, big physical players, sweet skill, stunning skill (Bure), nasty players, lots of scraps, and general awesomeness. Not much needs to be said about the 10/11 team - lead the league in pretty much every statistical category and won a lot of hardware, just not the most important one.

Playoffs: 94. Not even close for me. They fought hard in every game and were closer to winning in my mind than the 11 team.

2011 obviously, but outside of a cup finals year, 2008-2009. The Canucks bounced back from a terrible season, made a crap load of roster changes, brought in Demitra, Wellwood(lol), Sundin, and the Canucks made the playoffs and drove the Blues out of the first round in 4.

1. 2010-2011. #1 in most categories. Luongo/Schneider, Vintage Twins, Selke Kesler (and to an extent, Malhotra), spunk from Torres.

2. 1993-1994. Bure, Linden, McLean. Enough said.

3. 2002-2003. I love Cloutier but this team was a goalie away from really making noise. Blowing that series against Minny stung.

2011 by far. Mike Gillis did one hell of a job putting together a power house. If injuries to our defence wasn't as sever we clock 130 points and counting. Ehrhoff held the defence together with all the injuries and we still ran away with the Presidents trophy. As I recall we clinched a playoff spot, at 60 games or something retarded like that? then Locked up the Presidents trophy quickly, unreal.

2011 cause everybody and every team hated the canucks for pissing them off by getting to the finals and almost taking it. :P

The team had a badass reputation whith maxim lappy , raffi torres, erhoff, kesler, aaron Romes hit on horton dayuuum..

The intensity rose even higher when they were in the playoffs.

The 2011 regular season was amazing, the playoffs on the other hand I found rather frustrating all the way through aside from the San Jose series.

Contrary to 2011, the '94 playoffs were amazing whereas the regular season was hit and miss.

The 1992/93 regular season was awesome, we scored an unreal number of goals. The playoffs of course were a disappointment. If only we could've gotten through the Kings I bet we'd have made the Final and dropped Montreal.

The 2009/10 season was a lot of fun to watch with all of the goals they scored, even more goals than the 2011 team. Luongo had (I believe) his shakiest season as a Canuck but still won 40 games. The playoffs were great until the Hawks eliminated us.

Favourite game would be the one against Calgary where we won 11-0.

I followed the team in 94 and that was a great run, but they didn't have a good regular season. The west coast express era was good but the Bertuzzi incident screwed everything up and cost the Canucks the first round against the Flames. For me the 2011 team was the greatest. Rogers arena was a tough building to play in and the Canucks had an air of invincibility about them. Also beating our biggest rivals Chicago in epic fashion.

I followed the team in 94 and that was a great run, but they didn't have a good regular season. The west coast express era was good but the Bertuzzi incident screwed everything up and cost the Canucks the first round against the Flames. For me the 2011 team was the greatest. Rogers arena was a tough building to play in and the Canucks had an air of invincibility about them. Also beating our biggest rivals Chicago in epic fashion.

I agree with what your'e saying to a point. Rogers arena was a tough building for opposing teams in 10/11 but was actually tougher the previous season in 09/10.

The series win against the Hawks was epic in its own way, although despite that I personally consider it one of the most unconvincing series victories we've ever had considering the circumstances.

Great summary! Thanks for sharing

Close call between 1994 and the 2011 powerhouse. What is the difference to me?

The 1994 team was an underdog group, who had loads of talent but were fairly inconsistent throughout the regular season. Led by our first true franchise Captain, and the most talented player we have ever had in Bure, this team was exciting to watch. It was an odd mix of players who some how banded together during that playoff run. Nobody expected them to beat Calgary, and the run offered so many big-time memories. McCleans kick save, Bure's breakaway OT goal, Greg Adams getting rid of the leafs, and in the finals they showed 110% heart.

I will never forget down 3-1 in the series, Games 5 and 6 were an absolute thrill ride, to come back like that showed guts and mettle. Game 7 Linden scoring twice, the best performance I have ever seen considering he was injured multiple times, and the post by Lafeyette, Bure's last shot with seconds left...this team was the definition of a team banding together at just the right time with players who showed a never die attitude.

The 2011 team was the first time in Canuck history that we were clearly the best team in the league. Every game you knew we would come out on top, this was the deepest team we have ever had, not one weakness. The magic provided by the Sedins was something we will probably never see again, so many highlight reel goals. Our defence was excellent, could move the puck, and everytime we were on the PP I felt like we could score. This was the first time where I could watch a game and know with confidence that we were the better team.

The playoff run also provided great memories, finally beating Chicago in an epic 7 gamer, the 2nd round where Kesler displayed the greatest single player impact I have ever seen (the breakaway goal splitting between Weber comes to mind), and in the finals up 2-0 it felt like it was our destiny. Sadly, because we were favored and had such a great team, the heartbreak was too deep to remember this group as fondly as 1994. We had it all that year, and it felt like we were robbed because the way the refs and Campbell called the finals.

So the difference to me is that the 1994 team was an underdog, and the run seemed to be positive because we werent expected to go anywhere, and the way they battled back from adversity in those playoffs only to come up one goal post short. That is much easier to swallow than in 2011 when we knew we were better than any other team, only to be shafted by injuries and shoddy reffing.

Archived