The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on this PC build?

Blue90

I plan on building a gaming PC for the first time. I'm doing it through NCIX as they build my last one and they're close to me so I can pick it up easily.

I don't plan on doing any overclocking so would you guys make any changes? I'm hoping this PC will last me at least 5 years of gaming. I'm not too worried about maxing the settings. Medium/High at 1080 is good enough for me.

http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc_new/ncixpc_print.cfm?uuid=DB0A0C6D-6103-4FE9-BD976C68FEAAF925-6445532&skulist=102345|1-91825|1-102845|1-96203|1-33130|1-100959|1-84348|1-81477|1-76036|1-93007|1-107505|1-65701|1-82953|1-33602|1-33601|1-7842|1-6024|1

Like I said this is my first time so please be gentle. Any changes?

You have no aftermarket cooler and a weak power supply. With that price tag and a gtx 970 you want around 750w of power. You're spending an extra $10 on that HDD. I think I saw a sale for a similar one around $57. Buy a case that's on sale and take the extra money to buy more fans. You need fans. And without overclocking the processor might potentially bottleneck you.

If you're not interested in maxing your settings though... you are paying WAY too much money. With a video card like that you should be aiming for max graphics.

Kick the GTX down to a 960.

A 960 is more than enough to get high quality 1080p gaming.

And try and look for a smaller SSD. To be honest, your SSD only needs to be 120GB at the absolute most, just use it to house your OS. Everything else can just go in a cheaper and regular hard drive.

You have no aftermarket cooler and a weak power supply. With that price tag and a gtx 970 you want around 750w of power. You're spending an extra $10 on that HDD. I think I saw a sale for a similar one around $57. Buy a case that's on sale and take the extra money to buy more fans. You need fans. And without overclocking the processor might potentially bottleneck you.

If you're not interested in maxing your settings though... you are paying WAY too much money. With a video card like that you should be aiming for max graphics.

Thanks. I guess if I can max graphics right now I'd be cool with that. But 3-5 years down the line I'd still like to be able to play new games and inevitably I'd probably have to tone it down. I guess I could add another fan or 2 since they're only like $10 each.

Would you recommend changing the CPU to 4670 for $25 more, 4590 for $40 more or 4690 for $65 more?

Kick the GTX down to a 960.

A 960 is more than enough to get high quality 1080p gaming.

And try and look for a smaller SSD. To be honest, your SSD only needs to be 120GB at the absolute most, just use it to house your OS. Everything else can just go in a cheaper and regular hard drive.

120gb of SSD = GTA V and nothing else. It would make no sense to get an ssd and not put newer games on it.

120gb of SSD = GTA V and nothing else. It would make no sense to get an ssd and not put newer games on it.

What? An SSD is almost useless for storing your games in it. The only thing an SSD does is that you'll be able to load up your games a few seconds quicker...and that's it.

The noticeable performance boost you'll see from an SSD are your boot times (i.e. you install your OS onto your SSD). With everything else, putting files and programs into a regular hard drive is just fine. If you're on a budget and looking to game on your PC, put your money in a solid GPU, not a high capacity SSD; an SSD does nothing for gaming performance.

@Blue90

Don't worry about your GPU not lasting 5 years down the road. I have a GTX 760 and I can still play games at ultra quality, so a 960 should cover you for a long period of time.

have you checked newegg.ca? I got my comp parts from them, and would recommend using them. NCIX is obviously good too.

Definitely get an after market cooler, and cheaper case, for that much I would probably want more/faster ram, but as long as mobo allows you to upgrade that later should be fine.

Keeping things cool is important your frame rate might get bottlenecked if your trying to play things on max settings.

Good luck

agreed keep the 240..... A good 600w power supply will be more then enough, no need for a 750. I think your build is just fine but unless you want 1440p the 970 is a bit overkill but like you say it is more "future proof" so it's your call.

A 600 watt psu is not future proof.

Ive been using a 600w ICZ psu for a few years now and am drawing more power than the rig hes looking at. you can go to Hardocp and put your specs into a calculator that will tell you how much power you need. Its usually lower than you think.

I have built 8 comps and trust me you will be better with a 750psu if you are a gamer and the new amd cards are better

Asus 380 http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-radeon-r9-370-strix-f8-110381-1912.htm

or XFX 380 http://www.ncix.com/detail/xfx-radeon-r9-380-970m-29-110205-1912.htm

around the same price but a 4gb vid card thats faster

oh and get a heatsink like this which isn't much but works good

http://www.ncix.com/detail/raijintek-ereboss-black-cpu-cooler-74-100815-1382.htm

Just buy a Dell and be done with it.

RbgYhzI.gif?noredirect

I have built 8 comps and trust me you will be better with a 750psu if you are a gamer and the new amd cards are better

Asus 380 http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-radeon-r9-370-strix-f8-110381-1912.htm

or XFX 380 http://www.ncix.com/detail/xfx-radeon-r9-380-970m-29-110205-1912.htm

around the same price but a 4gb vid card thats faster

oh and get a heatsink like this which isn't much but works good

http://www.ncix.com/detail/raijintek-ereboss-black-cpu-cooler-74-100815-1382.htm

Wait so that XFX 380 is better than the 970 and is $150 cheaper?

Any suggestions on a cheaper case? I don't really care about the looks

What? An SSD is almost useless for storing your games in it. The only thing an SSD does is that you'll be able to load up your games a few seconds quicker...and that's it.

This is wrong. I've loaded GTA 5 on my laptop's HDD and SSD and it works noticeably better with the SSD. When it comes to loading areas in open world/sandboxes, it's stored on the hard drive (the effect is called hitching). Anywhere when it comes to loading large areas or multi-boxing, SSD will be a very noticeable improvement.

Ignore the people saying to get a 750W PSU. They likely have never done more gaming than Farmville on iPads. Go for 650W or if possible 600W. 650 is probably safest. Also, keep in mind that Skylarke and DDR4 are coming out later this year, so now might not be the best time to build. I would aim for at least a 256 GB SSD also. 512 is good if you get a good price.

This is wrong. I've loaded GTA 5 on my laptop's HDD and SSD and it works noticeably better with the SSD. When it comes to loading areas in open world/sandboxes, it's stored on the hard drive (the effect is called hitching). Anywhere when it comes to loading large areas or multi-boxing, SSD will be a very noticeable improvement.

Maybe for GTA V, but it's not the case for most games.

A GPU is still a lot more important than an HDD to SSD upgrade for a gaming computer.

On an other note, OP, if you don't plan on overclocking (like you said), don't bother buying an after-market cooler. The fan on your CPU s fine to maintain temperatures.

I'm running my 760 on a 500w power supply with no after market cooling (and no overclocking of course) so don't be so worried about heat and power consumption. You don't need to spend as much money as you may think.

Archived