The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Talbot generating interest. "Talbot, Lehner and Lack could be traded before draft weekend concludes.".

Talbot played great in the playoffs and his team, went deep, Lack didn't shine nearly as much. GMs probably feel that if Talbot is on their team, they'll suddenly be very good in the post season, I guess. Kind of deceiving. Look at Dubnyk, put a solid defensive team in front of him and he looks like a superstar. Send Talbot to the Oilers and he'll look like Dubnyk, when he played in Edmonton.

I must have missed those playoffs Talbot played great in.

Kuzma said via Twitter that the Rangers turned down two 2nds for Talbot.

If true, I'm assuming from Buffalo.

I still can't believe the Ranger turned this down. They are going to drive the all interest towards Lack if their price is that high LOL

Edit: I swear I can't catch errors until after I post something

Don't why you're keeping that spark alive when Miller isn't leaving.

Must not have paid attention during Roberto's first few years here when we had a revolving door of worthless backups. Lui played 73+ games twice and earned Hart and Vezina nominations in the process. Miller too has had multiple seasons over the 65 game mark. 23 of 26 sounds like a lot until you realize that it's par for the course for many starting goaltenders. Getting worn down that soon is a pretty bad sign, and not exactly the hope you rest your team on. I don't see why you expect Eddie to suddenly be able to double his career workload and succeed, yet complain that losing him means missing the playoffs.

Hope we draft Dunn or Andersson in the second to watch you win a gold in the backpedal olympics.

A heavy workload is one thing but IIRC neither Lou or Miller has ever played 17 games in a row and certainly neither had this kind of workload foisted upon them during their first and second stints as a #1 goalie. I'm also betting that neither has played in 24 of 26 games like Eddie has. Both those goalies had decent backups to fall back on; Lack had Markstrom who proved both times he was nowhere near ready for the NHL. The thing that puzzles me is that most people here seem to think that Markstrom will suddenly become a great NHL goalie even though the evidence so far indicates otherwise. Both Miller and Lou were heavily coddled here whereas Eddie has been thrown to the wolves twice now and responded very well indeed. We trade him at our peril.

A heavy workload is one thing but IIRC neither Lou or Miller has ever played 17 games in a row and certainly neither had this kind of workload foisted upon them during their first and second stints as a #1 goalie. I'm also betting that neither has played in 24 of 26 games like Eddie has. Both those goalies had decent backups to fall back on; Lack had Markstrom who proved both times he was nowhere near ready for the NHL. The thing that puzzles me is that most people here seem to think that Markstrom will suddenly become a great NHL goalie even though the evidence so far indicates otherwise. Both Miller and Lou were heavily coddled here whereas Eddie has been thrown to the wolves twice now and responded very well indeed. We trade him at our peril.

Eddie, the chuckling Viking, could haunt us for years!

Lack has never had the pressures of being a number 1 goalie, Lack has had the most coddling of any goalie. Canucks had a terrible season in 2013-14 and not one finger was pointed at goaltending. You put Miller or Luongo in that sitatuion and people are calling for their head’s. He’s never been expected to be the guy that gets the win. He’s always had a fall back. If canucks just missed playoffs last year, what would have been the excuse. No one would have blamed Lack, people would have blamed Millers injury before they blamed Lack. Why because the back up in not the guy you count on to take you to the end.

Markstrom’s first NHL stint last year was a direct result of Lack playing terrible the two games prior putting WD in a tough situation and playing Markstrom. Markstrom is the young goalie that should be getting coddled. He’s the one that has the highest ceiling and needs his confidence built up at the NHL level.

I’ll ask you this, how confident were you on Lacks abilities before he turned 25 and 10 months. What evidence was their prior to Oct 8 2013 that Lack would become a decent NHL goalie? Markstrom has accomplished more than Lack did at his age. And most people that are high on Markstrom are the people that actually spent the time to watch him and his run in the AHL playoffs. I’m guessing you didn’t.

PS in 06-07 Luongo Played 76 games meaning he'd average over 20 games in a row before getting a rest.

Miller did the same in 07-08

Talbot played great in the playoffs and his team, went deep, Lack didn't shine nearly as much. GMs probably feel that if Talbot is on their team, they'll suddenly be very good in the post season, I guess. Kind of deceiving. Look at Dubnyk, put a solid defensive team in front of him and he looks like a superstar. Send Talbot to the Oilers and he'll look like Dubnyk, when he played in Edmonton.

So these playoffs that Talbot played great in ...

Would these be the 2014-15 playoffs, in which he didn't play, or the 2013-14 playoffs, in which he managed an .846 save % in his 46 minutes over 2 games?

Lack has never had the pressures of being a number 1 goalie, Lack has had the most coddling of any goalie. Canucks had a terrible season in 2013-14 and not one finger was pointed at goaltending. You put Miller or Luongo in that sitatuion and people are calling for their head’s. He’s never been expected to be the guy that gets the win. He’s always had a fall back. If canucks just missed playoffs last year, what would have been the excuse. No one would have blamed Lack, people would have blamed Millers injury before they blamed Lack. Why because the back up in not the guy you count on to take you to the end.

Markstrom’s first NHL stint last year was a direct result of Lack playing terrible the two games prior putting WD in a tough situation and playing Markstrom. Markstrom is the young goalie that should be getting coddled. He’s the one that has the highest ceiling and needs his confidence built up at the NHL level.

I’ll ask you this, how confident were you on Lacks abilities before he turned 25 and 10 months. What evidence was their prior to Oct 8 2013 that Lack would become a decent NHL goalie? Markstrom has accomplished more than Lack did at his age. And most people that are high on Markstrom are the people that actually spent the time to watch him and his run in the AHL playoffs. I’m guessing you didn’t.

PS in 06-07 Luongo Played 76 games meaning he'd average over 20 games in a row before getting a rest.

Miller did the same in 07-08

So I guess playing 17 games in a row or 24 of 26 (a total of 82 games in two seasons) isn't "the pressure of being a number one goalie" in your world but it is in mine. Also blaming Lack for Markstrom's weak play in the NHL so far is just a bit much; Lack got all those starts in a row because the management of the Canucks had no faith in Markstrom so perhaps you should lay the blame there (that is since you refuse to blame anything on Markstrom himself). Saying that "he's always had a fall back" is demonstrably untrue; if he had one the Canucks would have certainly used it. Instead, with the team fighting for a playoff spot (which they achieved largely due to Lack's stellar play) they went with the goalie that they thought gave them the best chance to win.

I'm not sure if you simply worded it wrong but last year was not "Markstrom's first NHL stint" but was in fact his fourth; prior to last year he had started 39 games and only in his first season did he crack the .900 mark in save %. He has proven absolutely nothing in the NHL so far, at least IMHO.

Also worth noting is that Miller had a .906 sv % in 07/08 which is nothing great and Lou had a .921 sv % in 06/07... which is identical to Lack's sv% last year and Lou didn't get any crappy "backup goalie" starts like Eddie did before Miller went down with his injury. I'll say it again; play Lack 60 or so games a year with a capable backup goalie to fall back on and he will post elite numbers in this league and soon. Wouldn't it be nice if he did that while being a Canuck? Or am I dealing with another one of the "let's tank for a good draft pick" crowd?

Archived