The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Nicklas Jensen to St.Louis

To St.Louis: Nicklas Jensen, 4th round pick 2016 (higher/lower?)

To Vancouver: Ty Rattie

Reasons for St.Louis: Rattie and Jensen are both unlikely to crack their respective team's top 9 next year, so St.Louis takes on a slightly less promising looking offensive prospect for a future pick. Jensen is more versatile, can play both Ws and has better size, which gives St.Louis a prospect that might fit some sort of role next year. Both players were drafted in the same year.

Reasons for Vancouver: Ty Rattie exploded under Utica coach Travis Green in his Portland days, we saw how well Baertschi did back under Green - and both were linemates one year in Portland. Rattie was a key player each year for the Winterhawks, and is poised to step into a top-9 position in the NHL- he has a better chance of doing so in Vancouver than in St.Louis, especially if Vancouver dumps a tweener or two.

Thoughts?

Edit: Friedman & Armstrong's thoughts on Rattie:

29. The one thing I sense, though (and again, this is me talking, not Armstrong), is he’s looking at his roster and deciding if any of the veterans will be unable to step back. That’s the player/players who get(s) moved. Robert Bortuzzo and Petteri Lindbohm will get long looks on defence, Ty Rattie up front.

“We told him we expect to see a highly-conditioned player competing for a spot here in training camp,” Armstrong said, adding he liked that Rattie’s best games were against the Blackhawks.

Yeah, you could very well be right. Do you think they'd be more willing to trade Rattie for futures or roster help now?

Props to you on your well-thought out proposal.

With this trade though, we'll be out of picks for 2nd, 3rd, 4th round, provided no other trades are made (not probable)

Benning might wheel-and-deal with other picks that he has acquired to sweeten the pot if he has to.

Is Rattie waiver-exempt like Jensen is?

Ty Rattie reminds me a little of Linden Vey in that they're both smaller forwards who rely on their hockey IQ and shifty stick work to be productive.

Wouldn't it be redundant to trade for Rattie when we have a player with a relatively similar skillset in Vey who has already spent a year developing with the Canucks?

I think a trade involving Jensen and Paajarvi plus other minor peices going either way is closer to equal value.

With this trade though, we'll be out of picks for 2nd, 3rd, 4th round, provided no other trades are made (not probable)

Benning might wheel-and-deal with other picks that he has acquired to sweeten the pot if he has to.

TO VAN

2nd

TO EDM

Lack

TO VAN

2nd

TO DET

Bieksa

Ty Rattie reminds me a little of Linden Vey in that they're both smaller forwards who rely on their hockey IQ and shifty stick work to be productive.

Wouldn't it be redundant to trade for Rattie when we have a player with a relatively similar skillset in Vey who has already spent a year developing with the Canucks?

I think a trade involving Jensen and Paajarvi plus other minor peices going either way is closer to equal value.

TO STL

Vey

Jensen

4th

TO VAN

Rattie

2nd

You're right, that's why I made the 4th rounder for 2016. Saying that, I also didn't want to make a super long post, but I could very well see Lack being moved for a 2nd and/or Benning moving down from 23rd for more picks. I am kind of making this proposal under the assumption that GM JB has other things up his sleeve.

Rattie is waiver exempt for one more season, I believe.

I just see Rattie as having more offensive upside than Vey, and with Green and Baertschi here, I see Utica/Vancouver at the perfect development spot for him. Also - maybe acquiring Rattie makes Vey expendable after next year? He might be worth more if he has a 15+ goal season.

I just see Rattie as having more offensive upside than Vey, and with Green and Baertschi here, I see Utica/Vancouver at the perfect development spot for him. Also - maybe acquiring Rattie makes Vey expendable after next year? He might be worth more if he has a 15+ goal season.

Rattie projects to be more of a goal scorer, whereas Vey projects to be more of a playmaker, but their offensive upside is pretty similar in my opinion.

Vey had a quiet but decent rookie season playing in the bottom six with some PP time. If he trends upwards this upcoming season and puts up 10-15 goals and 30-35 points why would we trade him away to make room to acquire an unproven rookie? It would be a step backwards to develop a player for two years just to trade him away so we could acquire a similar player with less experience.

I understand the reasoning of Rattie for Jensen as described by the OP, but I don't think its a priority by management to acquire him or a player like him just yet.

Archived