The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Ronalds Kenins & Alex Friesen

much ado about nothing. This post should be in the AHL section

No it shouldn't. Ronnie will become a regular and fan favourite next season. Friesen provides strong depth at center in Utica and as mentioned before in this thread, he may have a shot at that 4C spot if he has a good training camp. provided Richardson isn't resigned.

Dorsett was worth the money on a two year. I hate giving more than three years to bottom six players unless they're 26 or under.

One way deal means they see him as an NHL'er. A body will be moved for sure up front.

Nah, not completely anyway on the NHL'er. It does mean he gets $575k even if in Utica.

I don't mind Kennins, but Friesen do we really need him? How many grinders is this team going to sign.

Labate, Friesen, Sautner, Mackenzie, how many?

From what I know about Friesen, he is a gritty, two-way forward with some skill. He was not playing a pure grinding role with the Comets. It can't hurt to have Friesen as a depth, energy guy. I'm not familiar with his faceoff abilities but seeing as he was deployed as a center, my guess is that he's reasonably apt in the dot.

Nice to see Kennins getting a 1 way deal. If they bring back Richardson that's a pretty solid 4th line with him and Dorset. And if they don't it's still a solid 2/3 of the 4th line and hopefully one of the nucks propsects gets the 4c.

Kassian in.the first line? Lol burrows and vrbata will get first shot on the sedin line. Kassian will be watching in the pressbox while a much more talented jake virtanen shows zack how a real power forward is supposed to look

oh god please... Just no..... Please no. Hush yer mumbles... Jake will be in the AHL next year... No question.

Surprised with Friesen, didn't see the need to keep him to be honest and I'd rather see Grenier as 13th forward. Good for him though.

And Ronny, yay! :towel:

I don't think Grenier and Friesen are fighting for the same spot. Friesen will be in Utica, while Grenier could spend the year in Vancouver, in Utica or split between them.

Oh for the love of God....

A one way contract just means the player will be paid the same whether he's in the NHL or AHL

Markstrom just spent the last year playing in the AHL on a one way contract. Get your $&!# together CDC. It's been 3 years since the last CBA

The only reason people want Eddie Lack to stay is because of his personality... they don't know anything about trade value or hockey

orly.gif

How about nope:

Or because he finished top fifteen in save percentage, like 20 spots better than Miller, makes less and is younger.

Hahahah thats not what I meant. I don't want them to play nice.

As forsberg said below, I had a run in with him after game one vs the Flames and he was a jerk. I think it was game 1.

Aaah...well maybe it was a bad day or language barrier or...? I'd give him the benefit of the doubt one time. If it happens again though...

Kenins is a guy we need on a line with

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

I'm not sure Horvat would agree. There was a lot of chemistry there between them both and Hansen and it wasn't just one way. Kenins is a very clever player and Horvat benefitted from that as did Hansen.

Surprised with Friesen, didn't see the need to keep him to be honest and I'd rather see Grenier as 13th forward. Good for him though.

And Ronny, yay! :towel:

Utica still needs players as well...

Friesen is a solid contributor at the AHL level. He's smaller, but feisty and has decent offensive ability. Definitely a hard working player who can contribute throughout the top 9 in the AHL, but maybe unlikely to ever see the NHL as a regular.

But a one way for Kenins, so it's most likely he'll stick with the team. He can still be sent down as he's waivers exempt, but they look to be giving him a chance at an NHL role barring a bad camp. Here's hoping he can run with it and stay consistent throughout the year (and not be a liability against tougher competition).

Archived