The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Eriksson signs with Dynamo Riga

The Canucks’ third Swedish goalie is gone: Joacim Eriksson is off to the KHL’s Dynamo Riga.

Eriksson spent most of the last two seasons in Utica. He was the number one man for the Comets in 2013-14, but fell down the pecking order when the Canucks signed Ryan Miller last summer. He got into one NHL game in 2013-14, his first in North America, playing 36 minutes of a 9-1 blowout loss to Anaheim.

Eriksson, a former Flyer draft pick who signed as a free agent with the Canucks in 2013, could have potentially seen more NHL time if he’d stuck around next season, but he was always most likely to be third fiddle at best, even after the expected departure of either Jacob Markstrom or Eddie Lack. (The news has been confirmed by the Comets PR director, Mark Caswell.) It wasn’t even a guarantee he would’ve been offered a new contract.

The 6-foot-1 goalie does leave with an odd record in his cap, because of that lone appearance vs. Anaheim: a brutal career goals against average: 10.00 GAA

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/06/23/canucks-lose-minor-league-goalie-joacim-eriksson-to-latvia/

The Canucks now have four goalies in their system, with Miller and Lack both under contract, along with Joe Cannata. Jacob Markstrom is currently a restricted free agent.

Pretty much expected. Cannata will be the main man in Utica (I'm confident he can manage it) we may see a depth signing of a goaltender purely for AHL backup duty to help mentor Cannata.

I still believe Lack is the odd man out in Vancouver and Markstrom will be backup to Miller next season, split the season after that and then take over full time.

I remember how hyped people were when we signed him. I'm a bit disappointed he never got a chance to prove himself in the NHL, to be honest. I would have liked to see him play 5-10 games.

Well he did have a great playoff-run in 2013, 952 sv%, 1.06 gaa , though he did play behind the most dominant team in the SHL.

I thought he had a pretty solid 1st season in the AHL, considering that Utica was one of the worst teams in the AHL. But this year, you could clearly see how much better Markstrom was. Eriksson didn't really impress me the times i watched him this year, couldn't really see any NHL-potential at all. His numbers weren't good either, even though Green gave him a lot of games.

This is the best solution for both sides. Eriksson probably got indications that he wasn't in Bennings future plans, with Markstrom being the starter last season, and Demko coming up.

Archived