The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"New Horizons" to arrive at Pluto in 3 weeks

If the US poured as much into NASA as they do fighting wars, humans would have probably colonized other worlds already.

I wouldn't go that far, but if the US poured that kind of time, money, and effort in the last 25 years, we'd have a pretty good start on a small base located on the moon. At this rate, even with the private sector now involved in space travel, the moon won't be seeing a colony for many decades to come.

I'd be curious to see what the US government would do if China put forth a solid plan to put one there and said that it would be Chinese only. Maybe they would stop slashing NASA's budget.

I think that eventually the "space race" will more and more, become a thing of the past and we'll see more co-operation from former rivals, as we have already seen with the ISS and the European effort to land on the comet.

Whether we ever get to the point where borders don't seem to matter is another story, but I think that eventually we'll realize that we need to work together. The USA and Russia have borne the brunt of the burden for quite a while, but we're starting to see more nations taking part and I think it's a step in the right direction.

It depends on where resources are directed. Just look at the moon landing program. Resources and political will were focused on making it happen. It only took 6 years from the beginning of the Apollo program to put astronauts on the moon. 8 years if you count Kennedy's address to Congress.

*edit* I repeated myself in a sentence.

Pluto's Atmosphere, nitrogen and methane

Welcome to 4 weeks ago. Methane has been known about since the 1970's and was confirmed at the end of last month. The only thing new is the approximate measurement of the mixture.

Archived