The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carey Price perfect Masterton Trophy candidate

While Carey Price cleaned up at the NHL awards last night walking away the the Vezina, Hart and Ted Lindsay award his speach left me thinking he deserves one more, the Bill Masteron Trophy. For those that missed the speech here is a storey about it here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/carey-price-s-nhl-awards-speech-encourages-aboriginal-youth-1.3127244

The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey. Price grew up in Anahiem Lake, more than 320km from the nearest ice rink and traveled that 320km 3 times a week to play hockey growing up before becoming the Vezina star and First Nations role model is now. If Price's story doesn't show perserverance and dedication to ice hockey than I don't know what does.

Over the last 20 year with only one or two exceptions the Masterton has went to someone who ether overcame a severe injury or illness or the loss of a close family member. In the past it would occasionally go to players in recognition of long and usually successful careers. While I agree that Price's story is pretty phenomenal I don't think it is anywhere near enough for him to receive the Masterton based on the history of the award.

Carey price and sportsmanship? I guess you forgot when he went on his little rage fit and punched holes in GM place after getting lit up.

I'm talking about the Masterton not the lady Byng. Ian Laperriere won the Masterton before he wasn't excactly known for his sportsmanship when playing.

I'm talking about the Masterton not the lady Byng. Ian Laperriere won the Masterton before he wasn't excactly known for his sportsmanship when playing.

Yea and he won it because he took a slap shot to the face and then came back and ruined his career without that he is not winning anything.

Carey price and sportsmanship? I guess you forgot when he went on his little rage fit and punched holes in GM place after getting lit up.

He's a hockey player, that fire is what makes players great. It doesn't make him unsportsmanlike, it just shows he cares and gets frustrated about the game.

So you want to give Price the 2015 Masterton for adversity that he faced a decade and a half ago? :blink:

Honestly, I don't think Price is that great. I can see why he won all those awards, but these days it seems like goalies are only as good as the defense in front of them, and that includes Price. Flame me if you want, but I don't see the guy as head and shoulders over other elite 'tenders and I bet he would look very human if he was playing for the Jets or Oilers circa 14-15.

Personally, if Dubnyk hadn't done what he did, I would give the trophy to Hammond. The guy stepped in and got the Sens into the playoffs against all odds. He wasn't some 5th overall elite pick like Price was, he took the back roads into the NHL.

So you want to give Price the 2015 Masterton for adversity that he faced a decade and a half ago? :blink:

Honestly, I don't think Price is that great. I can see why he won all those awards, but these days it seems like goalies are only as good as the defense in front of them, and that includes Price. Flame me if you want, but I don't see the guy as head and shoulders over other elite 'tenders and I bet he would look very human if he was playing for the Jets or Oilers circa 14-15.

Personally, if Dubnyk hadn't done what he did, I would give the trophy to Hammond. The guy stepped in and got the Sens into the playoffs against all odds. He wasn't some 5th overall elite pick like Price was, he took the back roads into the NHL.

That's true, but even for a goalie to put up the numbers he did this season is pretty deserving I'd think.

Archived