The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hypothetical hockey fight

hockeyguy1234

OK, given KB3 might be traded shortly, I have to give him the respect he deserves. He is honestly one of the toughest pound for pound fighters I have ever seen in the NHL.

When he's in full rage mode, like when he beat up that giant (I think his last name was Gill) who now plays for New York, I'm not sure Dave Semenko could've stopped him.

Having said that, here are 5 tough SOB's who were tough but smaller than heavyweights. How you would rank them from 1 to 5.

Kevin Bieksa

Rick Rypien (RIP)

Wendel Clark

Rick Tocchet

Chris Neil

I'd go:

Tocchet

Rypien

Clark

Bieksa

Neil

Hockey fights are alot different now compared to back in the day. Much more technical now. For example, a guy like Kassian would probably do much better back then compared to now, his fighting style is very similar to Probert's but all the tugging and grappling now makes it hard for him to look like a great fighter.

Anyways in terms of how highly they were regarded in their era.

Tocchet

Rypien

Clark

Neil

Bieksa

I think the giant you're talking about was Aaron Voros or Brian Boyle. Rypien beat up Gill. Voros and Boyle are both big but are huge punching bags, but still, gotta give Bieksa credit for those.

Tocchet, Rypien, and Clark are all close though.

Hockey fights are alot different now compared to back in the day. Much more technical now. For example, a guy like Kassian would probably do much better back then compared to now, his fighting style is very similar to Probert's but all the tugging and grappling now makes it hard for him to look like a great fighter.

Anyways in terms of how highly they were regarded in their era.

Tocchet

Rypien

Clark

Neil

Bieksa

I think the giant you're talking about was Aaron Voros or Brian Boyle. Rypien beat up Gill. Voros and Boyle are both big but are huge punching bags, but still, gotta give Bieksa credit for those.

Tocchet, Rypien, and Clark are all close though.

I watched a lot of Voros when he was with the Salsa - he was tall but not a fighter really (he did fight, but he wasn't a heavy-weight or a goon).

How about Dorsett? He is tiny, yet will fight anyone (including Jon Scott this year)! I would have to give him the belt, simply because he is not built like the others. I give him extra credit for his guts as well, he doesnt hesitate to take on anyone

Ripper would have smashed him , went to the box , then came out and did it again 5 minutes after

LOL! Bieksa one of the toughest pound for pound??! I actually laughed out loud.

I wouldn't even put him in the top 50.

He has never even fought a legitimate heavy weight (unless you consider Ben Eager one).

He also picks his spots more then any other "fighter" in the league and has been called out on in numerous times by fellow players.

I'm not old enough for some of the fighters on that list...I can do one from the 2000's up.

1. Rick Rypien

2. Brett Gallant

3. Cam Janssen

4. Chris Neil

5. Jim Vandermeer/Shawn Thornton (as much as it pains me to list him).

LOL! Bieksa one of the toughest pound for pound??! I actually laughed out loud.

I wouldn't even put him in the top 50.

He has never even fought a legitimate heavy weight (unless you consider Ben Eager one).

He also picks his spots more then any other "fighter" in the league and has been called out on in numerous times by fellow players.

I'm not old enough for some of the fighters on that list...I can do one from the 2000's up.

1. Rick Rypien

2. Brett Gallant

3. Cam Janssen

4. Chris Neil

5. Jim Vandermeer/Shawn Thornton (as much as it pains me to list him).

Bieksa really isn't a fighter so it's a bit unfair to try to rank him as one. Yes, he lost it a couple of times and went off on a few people, but that hardly makes him a fighter IMO.

Tie Domi gave up a lot of height to a lot of guys. He has to be PFP one of the best.

Not too many guys under 180 that ever fought guys over 200, but Rypien did it on the regular. I'm not sure if it was his first fight, but during I think pre-season game he turned Brandon Prust's head into a speed bag at centre ice.

Archived