The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Larry Nance, Laker draft pick deletes tweet about Kobe

AbbyNucksFan

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/13152276/los-angeles-lakers-gm-mitch-kupchak-addresses-larry-nance-jr-tweet-2012-kobe-bryant?ex_cid=espnFB

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said the team has spoken to one of its first-round draft picks about a tweet the player sent out in 2012 that referred to a sexual assault case involving star guard Kobe Bryant.

After being selected by the Lakers in the first round of the NBA draft, Larry Nance Jr. had to answer to GM Mitch Kupchak about an inflammatory 2012 tweet about Kobe Bryant. Troy Babbitt/USA TODAY Sports

The tweet was published May 1, 2012, on the account belonging to Larry Nance Jr., a forward from the University of Wyoming whom the Lakers selected 27th overall in Thursday's NBA draft.

Nance's tweet, which was deleted within minutes of his selection by the Lakers, read: "Gee I sure hope Kobe can keep his hands to himself in Denver this time." It also included the hashtag "#rapist."

Bryant was involved in a 2003 sexual assault case in Colorado. A woman accused Bryant of raping her in his hotel room, but all charges were dropped after she refused to testify. A civil suit was later settled, and Bryant publicly apologized, although he admitted no guilt in the matter.

"I've spoken to Larry Nance Jr. with John Black, our public relations director," Kupchak said Thursday night. "Really, I'm not in a position to really share information. But it is something that they will have to discuss amongst the two of them.

"My understanding is that it's something that happened years ago, and in today's world, things don't go away, which really doesn't make it any less offensive because it was said three, four years ago."

It's a shame that sharing his piece of mind will most likely affect his career more than being a rapist has affected Kobe.

Nevertheless probably a silly thing to post on twitter when you expect to evetually play in the association.

Archived