The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

They could still be picked for the Championships of 16.

8 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Not really...

Ah. Thought they had to win this game. Oh well. Will still follow him in the tourney.

2 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Ah. Thought they had to win this game. Oh well. Will still follow him in the tourney.

16 teams including UND have advanced to the regional semifinals, 8 teams go to the regional finals, 4 teams make the Frozen Four semifinals, 2 teams play in the Frozen Four final for NCAA championship.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Boeser was ready to shoot all the time.

That fact that he was primed to shoot the puck is excellent. We need more players with a shoot-first mentality, especially on the PP.

15 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/icehockey-men/d1

North Dakota takes on Boston U this coming Friday. If they advance, they play the winner of Ohio State and Minnesota-Duluth the next day. My understanding is, if they lose either one of these games, Brock's season is over?

Yeah, it's the start of the Frozen Four tournament so it's win or go home now for everyone.

I would say Boston U is the team to beat in this years tournament. UND has to be considered an underdog despite winning it all last year.

They have a stacked roster featuring Keller, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Fabbro, McAvoy, Greenway, Hickey, and Bellows.

Gotta beat the best to be the best though.

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I have a feeling Benning nabs Jake Oettinger with one of our second round picks. 

Yea that would be a good pick. He's put up amazing numbers.

With the way he's going he might not even make it to the 2nd round though.

My brother-in-law (an Oilers fan) laughs at the idea of the Boeser hype of Canuck fans, claiming that he's regressed. His statistics clearly show that, but I found that N. Dakota is a much worse team this year. Was Boeser benefiting greatly from his old teammates or was he the reason they performed so well last year? Is Boeser still playing well or has there actually been a noticeable drop off?

Well at least he is not laughing at his team anymore!  I guess he has a short memory cause his team has sucked for a decade!  Brock hasn't been as prolific but he has fought some injuries.  UND is definitely weaker and it seems as though they have been trying Brock as a centre for parts of the year.  I think Brock will be better then Eberle, Yakipov, N-H, etc

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

My brother-in-law (an Oilers fan) laughs at the idea of the Boeser hype of Canuck fans, claiming that he's regressed. His statistics clearly show that, but I found that N. Dakota is a much worse team this year. Was Boeser benefiting greatly from his old teammates or was he the reason they performed so well last year? Is Boeser still playing well or has there actually been a noticeable drop off?

Oilers fans are jealous our rebuild isn't passing through the road of 10+ years of mediocrity.

Boeser has had issues this season but has not regressed. 

Look for a very promising AHL season next year,  and then we can talk. 

Hell, he might even force our hand earlier than we think....

Hé is a consensus top prospect in thé NHL.

You should ask your oiler friend if he thinks puljujarvi has regressed. 

I mean he couldn't even béat out caggiula kassian or maroon for a spot on their roster....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

Funny, I had the exact same situation tonight at a family dinner, except he's a Leafs fan, and it was jabs at Virtanen and Olli as well.

The league knows who Brock Boeser is now, and for good reason. Sophomore slups happen to elite players in the show as well, teams start to keen in on your ways, your style, your habits. This is exactly what's happened. You'll notice half the opposing team trying to always get in Brock's shooting lane, they all know he's gonna pick corners with ease.

Its up to us to surround Brock with players that then use that as opportunity to capitalize on players that are focused on that elite goal scorer. 

Losing key players, like you mentioned, hasn't helped matters either.

I'm still thrilled with this season for Brock!

• Upvote 1

Also, I'm 100% against bringing him to Vancouver at any point this season. Burning a year off his ELC shouldn't even be an option for us. 

Get him into Utica on a APTO if the timing even matches up, or let that wrist heal up. There's a problem with AHL playoffs though, no? He can't play, something along those lines? Ie : Gaunce's paper transaction at the deadline. 

If he's forcing Jim's hand saying he wants some games in the show this year... I don't like that, and I love Boeser as a prospect, my #1 favourite, but I don't like that. You don't decide.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VanIslander89 said:

Also, I'm 100% against bringing him to Vancouver at any point this season. Burning a year off his ELC shouldn't even be an option for us. 

Get him into Utica on a APTO if the timing even matches up, or let that wrist heal up. There's a problem with AHL playoffs though, no? He can't play, something along those lines? Ie : Gaunce's paper transaction at the deadline. 

If he's forcing Jim's hand saying he wants some games in the show this year... I don't like that, and I love Boeser as a prospect, my #1 favourite, but I don't like that. You don't decide.

Well I'm inclined to agree with you, I think it can actually work out for the Canucks. While it doesn't seem ideal to lose a year off an entry level contract, it could save the team much more money for Boeser's second contract. Most talented young NHLers seem to breakout their third full season in the league (except for the cream of the crop prospects, usually a top 2 draft pick, will breakout immediately). Many young players tend to regress or at least plateau in their sophomore season.

If you can get a player to commit to say a 3 to 5 year deal on his second contract about $2 million cheaper the savings could be well worth it. Imagine Horvat had burned a year off of his entry level deal to only play a handful of games in his 18 year old season. His deal would've been up last year and the Canucks may have been able to sign him to something like a 4 deal at $3.25 million. The Canucks would certainly be in a better position with their salary cap in the coming years. As it stands now, Horvat will be due something north of $5 million for the next several years.

It could go either way so it is a gamble. Perhaps Boeser does breakout in the NHL the next couple seasons, then you've just lost a year of cheap production. But if he does take a couple years to figure it out at the NHL level, the money you save on his second contract could be very valuable. Either way, I'm glad to hear that he's so eager to join the Canucks as soon as possible and begin his pro career.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ajhockey said:

The best teams in the conference were the teams that managed to keep Brock off the board basically. If you remember the start of the year Brock had one hell of a start until he ran into Minny and Denver. After a short stretch of little offense he got shut down for a bit longer than a month with his wrist injury. 
He ended up coming back after his injury (in January?) and continued the trend of scoring against the weaker teams in the league and getting shut out by the better teams. 

You can take a look here: http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,25309/brock-boeser/

Some thoughts: 
The loss of Stecher seems to have hurt the team a lot. Even though Poolman is piling up more points than Stecher did. 
Last year they had a brilliant top line, this year Jost and Boeser seem to have played on seperate lines. Boeser didn't have the same quality team mates to play with. The Caggiula Schmaltz Boeser line was hard to contain due to the talent all over the ice, whereas now teams can just concentrate on Boeser. 

I think we should let him play and show us what he can do next year before saying anything. Kyle Connor was a huge disappointment at the start of the season. There's a chance that Boeser will need some time to adjust. I'm wondering where he fits in. Probably not beside the Sedin's. I'm not too keen on having him near Sutter without some kind of playmaker on the left wing. That leaves him with Horvat. Let's see :D