The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

3 hours ago, mll said:

His shooting percentage last season was 16.2%.  It's down to 9.5% early into this season.  

Yeah, he'll probably even out to something around 13-14 when all is said and done.

I think Boeser's groin injury is a real blessing. This may sound crazy but if he ever were to be 'The Flow' or 'Brock the Rock' this season like he was last season, I would keep him out of games until after Christmas. Right now, he's damaged goods beyond the groin. His wrist must still be bothering him and he has had limited off-season training due to his freak back injury. I think that once Boeser's groin and wrist have fully healed, he needs to start training like he would in the off-season. He needs to work on his shot and more importantly, he needs to work on his skating. If you look at Boeser's only two goals this season, one came on a rare slap-shot in Tampa and the other came on his legendary wrister in Pittsburgh but in the gimmicky 3-on-3 overtime. He's been subpar 5-on-5.

If Boeser can take as much time off in order to heal and train so he can be the great sniper we all expect him to be, I'm all for it. I always compared his goalscoring to Islander great Mike Bossy. The difference is that Bossy had speed in order to find the open areas for his lethal shot. Boeser is no longer a secret around the league. Therefore, he needs to work on his skating. Otherwise, he will be just another above average NHLer.

• Upvote 1

On 10/23/2018 at 7:59 PM, Kushman said:

Groin injury is concerning. Those take a while to heal 100% and even when you think you're feeling fine, one wrong move and you're back to square one. Rather have him rest and make sure its 100% then playing on it and making it worse.

That could take months. 

One summer i hurt my groin dancing like a crazy idiot on uneven ground. This was early July. Felt fine after 2 weeks....went dancing  three weeks later and no sooner did i bust out a move, BAM, back to the same sharp shooting pain. Took about mid- September to dare testing it again and another month to work out the hesitation.

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

That could take months. 

One summer i hurt my groin dancing like a crazy idiot on uneven ground. This was early July. Felt fine after 2 weeks....went dancing  three weeks later and no sooner did i bust out a move, BAM, back to the same sharp shooting pain. Took about mid- September to dare testing it again and another month to work out the hesitation.

That's why I said its concerning. I too had a groin injury years ago playing basketball (didn't warm up thinking im still a kid) took months to recover. Weeks would go by and I'd feel fine and think its recovered, as soon as I'd try running a bit or making a lateral side step, it would come right back. Mind you I didn't have a professional medical staff treating me but still, it was one of the longest recoveries I've had for any injury. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kushman said:

That's why I said its concerning. I too had a groin injury years ago playing basketball (didn't warm up thinking im still a kid) took months to recover. Weeks would go by and I'd feel fine and think its recovered, as soon as I'd try running a bit or making a lateral side step, it would come right back. Mind you I didn't have a professional medical staff treating me but still, it was one of the longest recoveries I've had for any injury. 

yeah. Not to mention, its such a weird 'freaky pain' - it doesnt feel like a muscle strain. I am not a hypocondriac by any stretch of the word, but i seriously started to wonder if i had a hairline fracture or tore ligaments/cartilage etc. The pain is nothing like a muscle pain and unlike most muscle pains, i couldn't even localize it via palpation. 

Pure speculation and I may be connecting dots that ought not be connected, but I wonder if some of what Brock is dealing with on top of the physical issues is family?  I noticed in one of the video clips of the fathers on the road trip that Brock introduced his Dad along with a "friend" of his Dad's.  The friend was a younger guy, made me wonder if he was some sort of personal care aide?  I know his Dad has Parkinsons and battled cancer as well, he certainly looks more frail than he did a couple seasons ago when Brock first came into the league and he read out the lineup.  If that's the case, it has to be hard to see that happening.  

5 minutes ago, skategal said:

Pure speculation and I may be connecting dots that ought not be connected, but I wonder if some of what Brock is dealing with on top of the physical issues is family?  I noticed in one of the video clips of the fathers on the road trip that Brock introduced his Dad along with a "friend" of his Dad's.  The friend was a younger guy, made me wonder if he was some sort of personal care aide?  I know his Dad has Parkinsons and battled cancer as well, he certainly looks more frail than he did a couple seasons ago when Brock first came into the league and he read out the lineup.  If that's the case, it has to be hard to see that happening.  

Yeah could be true. He seems to have a big heart and I bet it would be really hard on him to not be around for his family. 

His shooting percentage is less than 1/2 of what it was last year (and last year's total was not insane - 16.7% is a reasonable number for a "sniper") and his shots/per game are down by about 0.5 per game.   If those things average in, he is at 4 or 5 goals in 11 games and no one is talking about this.   The shots will start to go in and he will get his looks.   He went stretches last year where he didn't get much and he may well in one of those stretches.   If he remains with EP40, he will get lots of looks.

3 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I think brock just need something like a 2 goal game to bring his confidence back and start scoring more consistently, he’s kinda being over shadowed by EP

I think he just needs more time to recover from injury/surgery/lack of off season before he's back to his usual self.

Give him a couple months IMO.

Am I the only one thinking that Brock should stay home for this upcoming road trip?  Not impressed with his shot last night, had none of the zip we saw so many times last year.

I hate to say it, but this is a contract year for Brock.  This might be figuring in to his decision to try to play through his injury, instead of sitting out 4-6 weeks to let it heal fully.