The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

46 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I still hear rumblings about a sophomore slump, but the fact of the matter is that currently, Brock is scoring more goals and points per game than he did last year. A great thing to see.

Well, he is coming off injury, therefore many assumed a sophomore slump was coming. However, his production has been really good so far. Don't know why there is still talk about sophomore slump.

Honestly, I think both Brock and Pettersson can produce more, once they get a skilled winger (hopefully Dahlen) that line will be something else. Leivo is doing a great job, but he doesn't think the game like Petey, you can see it these past few games. Goldobin is skilled, but he is still having an issue with the little things in his game.

This off-season I really hope Brock works on his speed. Sign him up with Bo's skating coach. If Brock has speed like Petey or Bo, it's game over. Not only will it elevate his game, but it will elevate our teams game. Imagine have Petey, Brock, and Bo fast af. Along with guys like Jake, Hughes, etc. Right now Brock is point per game player. If he gets faster, the sky is the limit in terms of points, especially playing with Petey (and hopefully another skilled line mate).

Edited by J-23

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Well, he is coming off injury, therefore many assumed a sophomore slump was coming. However, his production has been really good so far. 

Honestly, I think both Brock and Pettersson can produce more, once they get a skilled winger (hopefully Dahlen) that line will be something else. Leivo is doing a great job, but he doesn't think the game like Petey, you can see it these past few games. 

This off-season I really hope Brock works on his speed. Sign him up with Bo's skating coach. If Brock has speed like Petey or Bo, it's game over. Not only will it elevate his game, but it will elevate our teams game. Imagine have Petey, Brock, and Bo fast af. Along with guys like Jake, Hughes, etc. Right now Brock is point per game player. If he gets faster, the sky is the limit in terms of points, especially playing with Petey (and hopefully another skilled line mate).

I think Baertschi coming back could be the spark for our top six. If Sven is still a top-six level guy, they he can either join Horvat's line and bump Goldy/Virtanen to play with Boeser and EP or otherwise just Baertschi himself can slot in with them. Either way, any of those three guys are upgrades over Leivo.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think Baertschi coming back could be the spark for our top six. If Sven is still a top-six level guy, they he can either join Horvat's line and bump Goldy/Virtanen to play with Boeser and EP or otherwise just Baertschi himself can slot in with them. Either way, any of those three guys are upgrades over Leivo.

Yuh, I can't wait untill Baer comes back to be honest. He was playing so we'll, before he got injured, some of his best hockey. I want to see him with EP and Brock for sure, before sending him back to Bo's line,

The problem with Goldy is not his production, it's the small things like winning puck battles, being smart defensively, making smart passes, especially on Brock line that goes up against top defenders and lines.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jake in that spot as well, but Jake usually takes a couple games to adjust and get some chemistry with linemates, and Green usually switches the lines around by then...

Edited by J-23

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I still hear rumblings about a sophomore slump, but the fact of the matter is that currently, Brock is scoring more goals and points per game than he did last year. A great thing to see.

This is Brock's sophomore slump. Wait till you see him next year!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

What’s wrong with Leivo? Pretty sure he is surpassing expectations. 4 goals 1 assist in 7 games?

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

What’s wrong with Leivo? Pretty sure he is surpassing expectations. 4 goals 1 assist in 7 games?

Technically 3 goals and 1 assist. Nothing wrong, but Baertschi is proven. Leipsic had 6 points in his first 4 games last year, so I'm hesitant to get excited based off a small sample size like that. I feel that Baertschi has more offensive skill than Leivo based on what I've seen.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Technically 3 goals and 1 assist. Nothing wrong, but Baertschi is proven. Leipsic had 6 points in his first 4 games last year, so I'm hesitant to get excited based off a small sample size like that. I feel that Baertschi has more offensive skill than Leivo based on what I've seen.

Yes, Baer is far more skilled with the puck than Leivo.  However, Leivo plays a different game than Baer.  He's more physical, and fore-checks harder.  He frees up pucks better.  He goes to the dirty areas better.  I think Leivo is a better fit with Petey and Brock. 

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

You make a very good point about Leivo's small sample size and reference to Leipsic's performance when he first came to the Canucks. I hope Leivo can continue to put up points as he does bring a bit of added net front presence to the Pettersson line. Ultimately though, he is more likely destined to play a bottom 6 role that can move up the lineup if need be.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Here's the way I see it:

Both Baer and Leivo are looking fairly comparable overall and, as you've mentioned, one is proven and the other is not. However, they are not completely the same player. While Baer can play in a defensive role, he's more suited to top 6. Leivo seems to be a player can you can place almost anywhere.

Will Baer create a spark in the forward group? The cogs are already moving quite well as of late so do we actually need a spark at the moment? I'm sure both players will be in the lineup when Baer returns. We just don't know where each player will be in the lineup. ;)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Honestly think bear should be moved 

As much as I like Baer, I do wonder if Baer's on this team in a couple of years, especially given his concussions as of late. I actually don't know what we would even be able to get in return given his situation. I hope he doesn't become our next Dorsett, but with the way things have been for him...

Edited by The Lock

I watch Boeser with interests other than his shot. He is not a very physical player for a +200 pound player. Does not finish checks with much gusto. He does use his size for positioning to keep possession. I am looking for a tad more assertiveness in his development.  

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I watch Boeser with interests other than his shot. He is not a very physical player for a +200 pound player. Does not finish checks with much gusto. He does use his size for positioning to keep possession. I am looking for a tad more assertiveness in his development.  

Like Phil Kessel, Big hits aren’t really in the style of his game. Players who have a lot of hits in their game play on the boards a lot more. Brock plays a lot in the open parts of the ice, he’s not ever trying to be near someone, rather be the open guy.

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Does Brock remind anyone else of Brett Hull?  He can get his shot through at will and picks corners easily; but otherwise he is fairly slow and mediocre at just about everything else.  This isn't a knock as scoring goals is the most difficult part of the game.  

Boeser can pass pretty well and has a good mind for things outside of shooting too. I've also seem some pretty decent stick handling too. His shot is obviously his biggest boon, but I wouldn't simplify him to say that's all he's got.

• Upvote 1