The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You seem to be frothing at the mouth over something you are aware that he didn't actually say. He said 60 to 70 points, not 70 plus points.

There are 72 NHL players who scored 60+ points this season, an average of over 2 per team, or approximately 10% of all NHL players. There are 68 NHL forwards who scored 60+ points this season, of the 500 who played 10 games or more. That is about 14% of all forwards.

To say that a young player as skilled and motivated as Gaudette could at some point end up in the top 15% of NHL forwards in scoring is not particularly outrageous. Pretending someone said something that you know he did not say is rather outrageous however.

Haha frothing.  Discussing. You seem be overly agitated about some hyperbole from some other poster because I pointed out the silliness of the statement.

I said multiple times I like Gaudette and he will probably continue to develop. But like the pro scouts said when he was drafted, they expected a 3rd line centre. Not a first line level scoring player.  He had 12 points this year. If you feel he will ever get 60 points in a year, I am glad you are not a Canuck scout lol.  You do know Gaudette is 22 this year and not 18 right? Most development occurs during those years.

Did I ever say Gaudette won't continue to develop and increase his points from his 12 points this year? Of course I didn't. That would be as bad as stating he will be a 60+ point player....it would be just as exaggerated. You need to settle down their champ. I am the one open to different things happening in the future.

I just think hyperbole like saying he will get 60-70 points is only something some kind of total homer or mouth breather would say.

Could he get 60+ points in one year in his career sometime like the 72 high end players you refer to?  Probably not.  Possible? Sure. Anything is possible. Well almost anything. 

How bout that Boeser?

He will get 70+ points at some point I believe.  :canucks:

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha frothing.  Discussing. You seem be overly agitated about some hyperbole from some other poster because I pointed out the silliness of the statement.

I said multiple times I like Gaudette and he will probably continue to develop. But like the pro scouts said when he was drafted, they expected a 3rd line centre. Not a first line level scoring player.  He had 12 points this year. If you feel he will ever get 60 points in a year, I am glad you are not a Canuck scout lol.  You do know Gaudette is 22 this year and not 18 right? Most development occurs during those years.

Did I ever say Gaudette won't continue to develop and increase his points from his 12 points this year? Of course I didn't. That would be as bad as stating he will be a 60+ point player....it would be just as exaggerated. You need to settle down their champ. I am the one open to different things happening in the future.

I just think hyperbole like saying he will get 60-70 points is only something some kind of total homer or mouth breather would say.

Could he get 60+ points in one year in his career sometime like the 72 high end players you refer to?  Probably not.  Possible? Sure. Anything is possible. Well almost anything. 

How bout that Boeser?

He will get 70+ points at some point I believe.  :canucks:

That's not me being agitated, trust me, lol. I just sometimes feel compelled to point it out when I see people misquote and then argue vehemently against something that was not stated, iebuild strawmen. Like for example, claiming someone said will, when he actually said could. Those are very different things.

And yes, I expect Brock to score 70+ points very soon, like probably next year if he manages to miss no more than a few games from injuries. It would take him 79 games to do that at his rookie year PPG pace, and I don't believe that he peaked in his rookie year. I actually believe he will do better than he did when he was a rookie and Petey was playing in Sweden and Hughes was in school.

17 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Kiddo? lol ok. You can call my adult son that boyo.

Anyway, re read my post. I am quite high on Gaudette myself and agree with your first bolded statement.

The whole point of my post was about how ridiculous it is to say we had eight 40-50 point players when in fact we had three.

And as for your second bolded statement "He could easily be a 60-70 point player in this league" - it is that kind of extreme exaggeration that I find stupid. There are 55 - 70 point or higher players in the entire NHL. 55 - There are only 1 or 2 of those type of players on any given NHL team except the elite teams. We didn't have 1. Petey didn't get 70, Horvat didn't get 70, Boeser didn't get 70. And you say Gaudette could easily do it??  Really??  :frantic:

Pro scouts predicted Gaudette as possibly a 3rd line centre which would be very good for a 5th round pick. 

People saying he will be a 70 point player are high as &^%$ imo. 

Could Gaudette, at 22 years old continue to develop? Absolutely. BUT he only had 12 points this year. If he doubled that next year (to 24) that would be great. Then if he doubled that (24 to 48) the next year that would be Fantastic!! And to add another 22 points on top of that the next year? Possibly it has been done by a small handful of 5th rounders in NHL history. But lets at least try to live in a real world.

Saying He (Gaudette) could easily be a 60-70 point player is extreme exaggeration.

Anywho......I hope Boeser kicks some butt next year and gets 35 goals!!!  

Pro scouts also predicted Kesler to be a 3rd line centre. Some of the best players in the league were drafted in the later rounds. Draft selection means nothing.

Saying that Gaudette could be a 60-70 point player is not an exaggeration. They key word is "could". Pettersson and Boeser didn't reach 70 points, but they only have been in the league for 1-2 years. 

The Sedins were 30-35 point players in the first few years of their career. They skyrocketed their totals as they reached their prime. Kesler was a lowly third line centre in the first few years of his career. He ended up being an elite two-way centre in his career. 

Looking at Gaudette's rookie totals, and then stating that he will only be a 30-40 point scorer is ridiculous. Not everybody is Pettersson and Boeser, and lights the lamp in the first season of their career. Even the two best players in franchise history didn't hit their stride until their mid 20's.

Gaudette has a lot more potential than you think. 

• Upvote 1

Boeser’s camp open to anything

Rick Dhaliwal: (last week) Vancouver Canucks Brock Boeser‘s agent Ben Hankinson on Sportsnet 650: “There are some big contracts coming down the pipe and Brock just trying to figure out where I fit in all of this. We are open to anything with the #Canucks.”

Rick Dhaliwal:  Hankinson on Boeser’s contract situation: “We will figure it out, whether it’s a 1 year deal or 8 year deal, something is going to happen in between now and 6 months from now.”

1 year contract would be shocking news. Why would any party involved in this contract negotiations seek for a 1 year deal?  Canucks know very well what they will get from Brock and Brock knows that he will play alongside Petterson for many, many years.

One year wouldn't totally shock me, but I'm hoping for at least 3 or 4 years. It's a pretty hard contract to figure out, given his injury and slow recovery, combined with a bit of a sophomore slump this year. But then again, he got a fair bit of bonus points playing with an insanely talented rookie. Just get it done, JB. 

9 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Rick Dhaliwal: (last week) Vancouver Canucks Brock Boeser‘s agent Ben Hankinson on Sportsnet 650: “There are some big contracts coming down the pipe and Brock just trying to figure out where I fit in all of this. We are open to anything with the #Canucks.”

Rick Dhaliwal:  Hankinson on Boeser’s contract situation: “We will figure it out, whether it’s a 1 year deal or 8 year deal, something is going to happen in between now and 6 months from now.”

1 year contract would be shocking news. Why would any party involved in this contract negotiations seek for a 1 year deal?  Canucks know very well what they will get from Brock and Brock knows that he will play alongside Petterson for many, many years.

He is just using the 2 extremes to point out that regardless of the price or term, both parties are reasonable and want to do a deal, so it will get done before next season, so don't get your panties in a knot if it is not immediately.

As far as why would either party want a 1 year deal, well it is unlikely, but it would not be out of the question for Brock to want to negotiate his long term contract after say a 40 goal season rather than after his current 26 goal season. Because a player who just finished a 40 goal season would likely to be able to get a better contract than one who has never scored even 30 goals.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, bree2 said:

I thought that Boeser would have been resigned by now! Benning has been pretty quiet  as of late!

Benning is in Sweden watching the U18s.

I don’t think we sign Boeser until after the UFA stuff of early July.  

I am more interested in an Edler signing.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:27 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

He’s a solid human being who has a good head on his shoulders. I have full faith that Benning and Boeser (and his agent) will come to an agreement. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to seeing what Boeser can do next year. That scary back injury really set his training behind last summer, and he wasn't as quick out of the gate (coupled with the groin injury). With a full healthy offseason at his age, there is a good chance he comes into camp in the best shape of his life this October.

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Brock definitely needs a shorter term bridge deal to show what he can really do. 

3 x 4.5 maybe.

He can get his long term deal after he plays healthy and scores like he can.

That feels like an insult to Brock to me. Even where he's already at I feel he's worth $6M already.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

That feels like an insult to Brock to me. Even where he's already at I feel he's worth $6M already.

His upside is 8-9 million per but he's not there yet. He needs a chance to prove himself first. Maybe just a interim 2 year deal.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

His upside is 8-9 million per but he's not there yet. He needs a chance to prove himself first. Maybe just a interim 2 year deal.

It would be more reasonable on a two-year deal, but I still think we'd be looking at at least $5M.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

It would be more reasonable on a two-year deal, but I still think we'd be looking at at least $5M.

Yes, his goals per game already justifies $5M plus. I don't think there is any chance at all that he signs for less than that, regardless of the term. And $6M plus is more likely.

• Upvote 1