The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

3 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Bruh... You're wrong. The lotto line is one of the best in the NHL, you don't trade young first liners when you're at the end of a rebuild.

Boeser is on a friendly contract, is near point per game, isn't a negative, and is on pace for one hell of a 22 year olds season. You don't trade Boeser, you surround him with other top end talent

Brocks already put up the numbers without Pete, or Miller, so...

Hahah what? When did I say anything about trading him there. His shot's not as good as it was. His shooting percentage is way lower than it was during his rookie season.

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 6.57.11 PM.png

Edited by MrCanuck94

3 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Hahah what? When did I say anything about trading him there. His shot's not as good as it was. His shooting percentage is way lower than it was during his rookie season.

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 6.57.11 PM.png

IMO I think his heavily taped wrist has something to do with it.  I feel his injury from his college days will haunt his career and keep his goals down from where we would expect if he wasn't so injured, or dealing with pain.  I've had a wrist injury from playing a lot of tennis, and my doctor once told me to switch hands and learn with my left.  I skipped the surgery suggested by UBC sports medicine, and just got acupuncture as it gave me enough pain relief, as to avoid invasive surgery.  I'd like to see him maybe look at at fixing that wrist, before it gets worse.

In his rookie year, he just shot without thinking and scored often.  Since the beginning of last season, he seems to be pausing an extra second or fraction of a second before releasing, and the goalies are more ready for his shots.  It looks like he's lost some of his confidence in his shooting ability.  I think once we see him shooting without overthinking, he's going to get back to scoring more routinely (not that he's any slouch at that now).

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser has more points than Patrik Laine, Kyle Conner, Mathew Barzal, Taylor Hall, Matthew Tkachuk, Brayden Point, Sebastian Aho, Timo Meier and is tied with Alexander Ovechkin and Andrei Svechnikov.  On pace for almost 80 points.  Plays on our first line and our first unit PP.  Is 22 years old.  Is on a cap friendly contract given his production.  Plays a decent 200' game and is not a liability defensively.  

Why are we thinking about trading him again??

WE are not.

These guys are though

spacer.png

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

In his rookie year, he just shot without thinking and scored often.  Since the beginning of last season, he seems to be pausing an extra second or fraction of a second before releasing, and the goalies are more ready for his shots.  It looks like he's lost some of his confidence in his shooting ability.  I think once we see him shooting without overthinking, he's going to get back to scoring more routinely (not that he's any slouch at that now).

It's not easy to score 40 goals in the NHL.  Last year only 13 players did it.  Even Patrik Laine is having issues scoring goals this year.  He only has one more than Brock.  It's more a matter of defences and goalies figuring you out and overcoming that.  Some players can overcome it, others can't.  We don't know where Brock will be in 3 years.  But he's only 22 so he still has time to figure it out to try and get to that 40 goal mark.  I think he will get there.  By age 25 I think he will be a 40 goal scorer barring any major injury.  He's a smart kid who is dedicated to his sport. 

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser has more points than Patrik Laine, Kyle Conner, Mathew Barzal, Taylor Hall, Matthew Tkachuk, Brayden Point, Sebastian Aho, Timo Meier and is tied with Alexander Ovechkin and Andrei Svechnikov.  On pace for almost 80 points.  Plays on our first line and our first unit PP.  Is 22 years old.  Is on a cap friendly contract given his production.  Plays a decent 200' game and is not a liability defensively.  

We aren't....mostly.  Just a couple of radical posters lol.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/26/2019 at 12:02 PM, Maddogy said:

My biases:

I’m not as rosy glassed about Canucks prospects as many fans are.

My opinions:

So far this season Boeser developed into a well rounded winger that can defend and win puck battles. He is not strong and quick as Miller. He is not as good of a passer as Pettersson. He prefers slowing down the plays rather than moving his feet and create openings. He is often the weakest link on PP1 making poor passes, fail to get the puck on net or fail to move his feet. 

Boeser should learn from Horvat that he should be moving his feet constantly to create time and space for himself as well as his linemates. I am somewhat concerned that his preference for slowing down plays may originate from a lack of skill. You may play fast in NCAA but NHL speed may overwhelm you. 

On the top line, Boeser is the slowest player both physically and mentally. This is why Virtanen had some shifts on the top line. I predict that Boeser will become faster in the next 2 seasons. In contrast, we know that Horvat has already peaked in terms of his speed.

This fan is so hard to listen to sometimes. Just always need a whipping boy, eh?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Agreed. His play is drastically better the latter half of this season so far, making a huge impact.

With the pacific division as tight as it is, having him find his dangerous shooting form again might help us secure a spot in the playoffs.

• Upvote 4

On 12/30/2019 at 11:22 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I hope no one is thinking about trading him. Indeed he is playing 200 ft game, which is great to see.

But his shot, which was lethal and heavy as I have not seen before, it no longer that. Boeser looked like a surefire 40 goal scorer in his rookie season and now looks like a 30 goal player at best. Still great but when it goes from 40G to 30G, then you gotta wonder why.

4 minutes ago, khay said:

I hope no one is thinking about trading him. Indeed he is playing 200 ft game, which is great to see.

But his shot, which was lethal and heavy as I have not seen before, it no longer that. Boeser looked like a surefire 40 goal scorer in his rookie season and now looks like a 30 goal player at best. Still great but when it goes from 40G to 30G, then you gotta wonder why.

Patrick Laine has less goals than Boeser this year.  It’s hard to score 40 goals in this league.  Boeser has changed his game, he is more of a 200’ player now.  He’s not just a one trick pony.  

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Patrick Laine has less goals than Boeser this year.  It’s hard to score 40 goals in this league.  Boeser has changed his game, he is more of a 200’ player now.  He’s not just a one trick pony.  

"Changed his game" sounds like it's by design. But maybe he had no choice but to change his game as he might have realized that he lost the heaviness in his shot due to his wrist. Just imagine him playing 200' and he still has his heavy shot. 

Yes, it's hard to score 40 goals but he was that guy. Him being a complete player is great but I wish he can re-discover his shot.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, khay said:

"Changed his game" sounds like it's by design. But maybe he had no choice but to change his game as he might have realized that he lost the heaviness in his shot due to his wrist. Just imagine him playing 200' and he still has his heavy shot. 

Yes, it's hard to score 40 goals but he was that guy. Him being a complete player is great but I wish he can re-discover his shot.

I'm not sure it's as simple as his wrist isn't 100%.  Did Laine injure his wrist?  I think it's more he doesn't have those same opportunities he used to have and is also playing into a system.  It's the same with Virtanen.  When was the last time he pummeled a guy into the boards?  He doesn't play that way anymore, he plays a more responsible 200' game and Jake has also become a very good passer.  The other thing is that heavy shot that Boeser had was used a lot on the powerplay.  If you notice we play with 4 forwards and Hughes on the first unit, so guys switch up and Boeser ends up on the point sometimes.  Teams don't allow him to wind up anymore.  Even Pettersson is finding less success with his one timer as teams are expecting it now.  

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm not sure it's as simple as his wrist isn't 100%.  Did Laine injure his wrist?  I think it's more he doesn't have those same opportunities he used to have and is also playing into a system.  It's the same with Virtanen.  When was the last time he pummeled a guy into the boards?  He doesn't play that way anymore, he plays a more responsible 200' game and Jake has also become a very good passer.  The other thing is that heavy shot that Boeser had was used a lot on the powerplay.  If you notice we play with 4 forwards and Hughes on the first unit, so guys switch up and Boeser ends up on the point sometimes.  Teams don't allow him to wind up anymore.  Even Pettersson is finding less success with his one timer as teams are expecting it now.  

not sure if this has been posted already, but Brock has changed his shooting style as you say: https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/brock-boeser-is-taking-far-fewer-wrist-shots-in-2019-20-than-in-past-seasons-1.24046830

he's actually close to the same pace in goals per game as last year but his assists per game are way up: https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/boesebr01.html

That wrister is still there, its just used less often and he's opened up more ways of contributing. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3