The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure if this has been posted already, but Brock has changed his shooting style as you say: https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/brock-boeser-is-taking-far-fewer-wrist-shots-in-2019-20-than-in-past-seasons-1.24046830

he's actually close to the same pace in goals per game as last year but his assists per game are way up: https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/boesebr01.html

That wrister is still there, its just used less often and he's opened up more ways of contributing. 

He uses his wrist shot to open up other players.

The goals are just more spread this season with JT Miller on the line. Brocks having an outstanding season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

He uses his wrist shot to open up other players.

The goals are just more spread this season with JT Miller on the line. Brocks having an outstanding season.

agreed, not sure what some people are upset about. He's nearly a ppg player and is showing big strides all over, maybe you could pick on his skating a little bit but that will come along, like it did with Bo I suspect. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/14/2020 at 12:16 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

agreed, not sure what some people are upset about. He's nearly a ppg player and is showing big strides all over, maybe you could pick on his skating a little bit but that will come along, like it did with Bo I suspect. 

I think what people see is that he gives away the puck at times in a frustrating manner and also that he doesn’t bury his point blank chances anymore. It’s a combination of needing a little bit confidence and experience IMO so nothing to worry about long term. And while EP does have a bit more natural swagger, you could say the same thing about him at times. 

I agree that after a bit of a slow start Brock has been playing great overall. Considering both him and EP have no hot streaks during the season and definitely more bad luck than lucky bounces, for them to deliver the overall play and numbers they have bodes well for the future. 

22 hours ago, Sunkist469469 said:

Can someone explain why Boeser is playing on the 3rd/fourth line?.... thanks

Because Virtanen is hot and Eriksson has found chemistry on the Horvat line which is producing well for the time being.  Boeser is with Gaudette to spread out the offense.  It is really only temporary imo.  Not worried

Whats the deal with Boeser?   He doesn't appear to be scoring the way that he used to.  I took a shallow dive on his stats and there is a pattern.  I couldn't make conclusions. 

2016-17                                                           16.0 s%

2017-18   29 goals in 62 games    0.47 gpg    16.2 s%    0.89 ppg

2018-19   26 goals in 69 games    0.38 gpg    12.4 s%    0.81 ppg

2019-20   16 goals in 49 games    0.33 gpg    10.5 s%    0.88 ppg

Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Because Virtanen is hot and Eriksson has found chemistry on the Horvat line which is producing well for the time being.  Boeser is with Gaudette to spread out the offense.  It is really only temporary imo.  Not worried

Not sure anymore. Spreading out the team like this might help us become more dangerous. Virtanen doesn't look too out of place with Petey/Millsy.

Boeser hasn't been scoring as many goals as he has used to and he is/was playing with better players in Miller and Petey. I am worried that his statistics are more based off of third wheeling Petey/Miller who have driven the play a lot more on that line. Perhaps being on Gaudette's line will help him drive the play more and face lesser competition which will lead to scoring despite being without Petey/Miller and put my worries to rest.

Scoreless in his last 4. His ice time has dropped too. Maybe not the time to be concerned but something to keep an eye on.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 3

Boeser is as frustrating as some other players such as Patrick Laine and Jeff Skinner. They put up the stats but they do not drive plays the way Ovechkin does. They tend to disappear when the game intensifies. Part of it may be lack of talent but certainly it’s their approach/philosophy of the game. Bo Horvat is significantly less talented but he gets it. Bo knows when to push the pace and not to slow it down. Once Boeser gets the puck he has a tendency to slow down the play.

Boeser has absolutely no idea what to do on PP1. He kills plays on PP1. This may be due to a lack of talent.

I do like Boeser’s attitude. He is coachable and he is no longer an one dimensional player. 

Boeser has to reinvent himself for the NHL. He can become another JT Miller with size, grit and decent hands. He can try to release his shot quicker with more deception. He should improve his release at speed as well as deking, both of which are average.

I think Boeser will be like Miller in the sense that it will take a few years for him to get it.

Edited by Maddogy
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Boeser is as frustrating as some other players such as Patrick Laine and Jeff Skinner. They put up the stats but they do not drive plays the way Ovechkin does. They tend to disappear when the game intensifies. Part of it may be lack of talent but certainly it’s their approach/philosophy of the game. Bo Horvat is significantly less talented but he gets it. Bo knows when to push the pace and not to slow it down. Once Boeser gets the puck he has a tendency to slow down the play.

Boeser has absolutely no idea what to do on PP1. He kills plays on PP1. This may be due to a lack of talent.

I do like Boeser’s attitude. He is coachable and he is no longer an one dimensional player. 

Boeser has to reinvent himself for the NHL. He can become another JT Miller with size, grit and decent hands. He can try to release his shot quicker with more deception. He should improve his release at speed as well as deking, both of which are average.

I think Boeser will be like Miller in the sense that it will take a few years for him to get it.

BO was not very good for most of the season , it has only been recently that he has upped his game. Boeser has been playing well this season. 3rd on the team in points is not bad . so many times Boeser  has passed to Petey and he scored. if it wasn't  for Boeser that wouldn't have happened. don't get where you see he has a lack of talent, that is ridiculous!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not sure anymore. Spreading out the team like this might help us become more dangerous. Virtanen doesn't look too out of place with Petey/Millsy.

Boeser hasn't been scoring as many goals as he has used to and he is/was playing with better players in Miller and Petey. I am worried that his statistics are more based off of third wheeling Petey/Miller who have driven the play a lot more on that line. Perhaps being on Gaudette's line will help him drive the play more and face lesser competition which will lead to scoring despite being without Petey/Miller and put my worries to rest.

Scoreless in his last 4. His ice time has dropped too. Maybe not the time to be concerned but something to keep an eye on.

hmm how did Boeser get 27 assists.  well the last two games on the 3rd line when you have a player who doesn't like to pass kind of hard to score. and Jake on the first has only been 2 games. he has been known to disappear himself.

9 minutes ago, bree2 said:

hmm how did Boeser get 27 assists.  well the last two games on the 3rd line when you have a player who doesn't like to pass kind of hard to score. and Jake on the first has only been 2 games. he has been known to disappear himself.

Playing with Petey and Miller who have carried the play majority of the time I sometimes feel. Also the #1PP is gonna help his point totals overall. Perhaps he is benefiting off them slightly.

Like I said it is a worry. He can put it to bed by being that guy on carrying the 3rd line vs lesser talent. Show that he wasn't just benefiting off of playing with two great guys. Right now Jake's producing with them and doesn't look out of place and Boeser has been pointless in 4 straight. Too little to determine anything though so I am just keeping an eye on it for now.

I feel like Boeser can benefit from playing away from Petey/Miller by being the main catalyst on his line offensively with Gaud/Roussel. Help him push further. Like I said though too early to tell.

I like the change though. Virtanen deserves a top 6 look and it gives us a lot more balance in our top 9.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1

I don't think we should be surprised if Boeser's numbers do drop if he plays with the third line of Gaudette and Roussel. It doesn't necessarily mean he was a passenger on the 1st line though. The twins saw their numbers drop when Megna was played on their line--worse line mates mean worse production no matter who you are.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I don't think we should be surprised if Boeser's numbers do drop if he plays with the third line of Gaudette and Roussel. It doesn't necessarily mean he was a passenger on the 1st line though. The twins saw their numbers drop when Megna was played on their line--worse line mates mean worse production no matter who you are.

Except McDavid :lol:

• Haha 1

If there was something I could ask Brock to work on it would be his one-timer.

I've seen often that he would have a clear one-timer at the net but he stops the puck and looks for a wrist shot or hesitates, both causing the clear lane to the net to disappear.

If he started clapping one-tees more often I assume it would help alleviate pressure off Petey as many teams overload on his side during powerplays right now and provide our PP more lethal options.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

If there was something I could ask Brock to work on it would be his one-timer.

I've seen often that he would have a clear one-timer at the net but he stops the puck and looks for a wrist shot or hesitates, both causing the clear lane to the net to disappear.

If he started clapping one-tees more often I assume it would help alleviate pressure off Petey as many teams overload on his side during powerplays right now and provide our PP more lethal options.

my thoughts exactly.. been wondering all season why he isn't getting the shot off sooner..

I mentioned in one post that this ain't the skills comp, you can't let the goalie get set.. some of the last goals he has scored are wicked one timers from close range - he's got the all star shot, he's just not using it all the time

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I don't get where some are saying  Boeser is basically a freeloader on the first line , up until this last game he and Miller had the same number of goals. When do we see on our team that players score or even get points every game. Boeser is not the perfect player but neither is Miller, Pettersson or even Bo who has a very rough start.  and sorry but Jake is not a better player than Boeser. I believe Petey is going to suffer from this change 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Jake is not a better player than Boeser. 

Depends upon the metric.   Jake is an entirely different type of player.   He is much faster than Boeser and perhaps the coaching staff want to see more urgency from EP40's game and as Miller can flat out fly too perhaps that is the thought process.   One doesn't have to denigrate Jake to make sense of this move for Boeser.   It may be temporary or it may be more long-term but either way, it isn't always about "better" but more about "different" and this is a very young team still sorting out how to attain consistency with a first-time NHL coach who is probably himself just starting to get the better of other coaches as often as not.   

Oh, and on a per minute basis, Jake and Brock are pretty much dead-heat in goals.....and Jake hasn't had EP40 setting him up.   Perhaps coaches like the idea of Brock shooting more and getting away from two other strong "shoot first" players in EP40 and JT.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

5 hours ago, bree2 said:

I don't get where some are saying  Boeser is basically a freeloader on the first line , up until this last game he and Miller had the same number of goals. When do we see on our team that players score or even get points every game. Boeser is not the perfect player but neither is Miller, Pettersson or even Bo who has a very rough start.  and sorry but Jake is not a better player than Boeser. I believe Petey is going to suffer from this change 

Doesn't seem to be.  Petey has points in 6 of the last 7 games.

The thing when Petey and Boeser play together is that Boeser tries really hard to get Petey the puck.  He really tries to force passes through, even on the PP.  I much rather Boeser shoot more on his own line with Gaudette and Roussel.

• Wat 1