The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

47 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I watch every game at least once there champ. 

Then you should be able to acknowledge his criticisms instead of calling people clueless, while using scoring stats to prove a point and not actual analysis to see a player's overall play. Points are there but his overall play isn't.

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

I tend to agree myself on most of your points. I also do see him as the weakest player of PP1 at the moment .Im not sure its so much of lack of skill as more so his reaction speed to incoming passes to taking a shot or passing. Seems to be a bit slow. When he keeps his feet moving its like night and day. He gets open to making that shot or getting his passes through.

2 hours ago, Maddogy said:

My biases:

I’m not as rosy glassed about Canucks prospects as many fans are.

My opinions:

So far this season Boeser developed into a well rounded winger that can defend and win puck battles. He is not strong and quick as Miller. He is not as good of a passer as Pettersson. He prefers slowing down the plays rather than moving his feet and create openings. He is often the weakest link on PP1 making poor passes, fail to get the puck on net or fail to move his feet. 

Boeser should learn from Horvat that he should be moving his feet constantly to create time and space for himself as well as his linemates. I am somewhat concerned that his preference for slowing down plays may originate from a lack of skill. You may play fast in NCAA but NHL speed may overwhelm you.

Good points.  Brock is not a driver on a line and probably never will be.  I agree that we have clearly seen him develop his defensive game and he has become very good along the boards.  He also handles the 'rough stuff' well.

As you have pointed out, his weakest part of the game is his skating.  This is nothing new and has followed him ever since his draft.  Whether or not it can be improved is the big question.  It doesn't work for every skater.  Slowing down the game may work on some lines, but at times it can be a detriment to his quick paced linemates.

His passing can be improved with practice and there's no denying his shot is elite.  A sniper like Brock needs to have a linemate that is a good playmaker/passer.  Pete can fill that role, often times at the expense of scoring goals; which isn't the greatest scenario.  Regardless, he puts up good #s and is definitely a top 6 guy on any NHL team and on the Canucks he's 1st line.

He's understandably dealing with a humongous emotional rollercoaster with the family circumstances and that is likely creating havoc with his focus on hockey.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 3
2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Then you should be able to acknowledge his criticisms instead of calling people clueless, while using scoring stats to prove a point and not actual analysis to see a player's overall play. Points are there but his overall play isn't.

I think a balanced approach is best   Both stats and a discerning eye are important. B)

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I completely disagree with your assessment that Boeser's play has not been good or about his so called criticisms. Some poster saying they think Boeser is not good in some areas is kinda laughable honestly. 

I used the stats to show that out of over 700 professional NHL hockey players, Brock Boeser is 22nd in scoring. He has more points than some so called super stars right now. Brock Boeser's job is to put up points and score goals and that is the reason he makes millions of dollars. He is doing that at a very high level as shown by his production.

Trying to say his passes are off or his skating is not good is stupid.  Every player, including the superstars like Crosby sometimes don't complete passes or they give away the puck. It is inevitable.  

But keep on with your assessment of Brock Boeser all you want. 

:picard:  

Edit: every player in the league needs to continue to develop in certain areas as does Brock. He would be even more valuable if he could improve his skating as Horvat did but that is almost unheard of.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m pretty high on Brock... coaches seem to like his game since he broke into the league and he seems to be rounding out his overall game. 

Brock isn’t a burner at all... but he has reasonable size, a great shot and underrated playmaking ability.  Personally, I see him as the only one on the roster who can really match Petey and Hughes as natural offensive players. 

I like your view! Personally i don't get the negative news some fans post about him.

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1
13 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m pretty high on Brock... coaches seem to like his game since he broke into the league and he seems to be rounding out his overall game. 

Brock isn’t a burner at all... but he has reasonable size, a great shot and underrated playmaking ability.  Personally, I see him as the only one on the roster who can really match Petey and Hughes as natural offensive players. 

Agreed.  He is the resident gunslinger.  Brock is barely 23 years old and has dealt with a serious back injury.  He may never fully recover his flexibility. 

50 minutes ago, gurn said:

Brock is the second best offensive forward on the team. If he did not play with Petey he would be the play driver on his new line.

Except he wouldn’t because he can’t skate fast enough and doesn’t have elite hands to make up for the lack of speed to drive a line. Sure he’d put up the most points, but he wouldn’t be driving the play. Virtanen and even Gaudette can drive a line way better than Boeser. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2
13 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Except he wouldn’t because he can’t skate fast enough and doesn’t have elite hands to make up for the lack of speed to drive a line. Sure he’d put up the most points, but he wouldn’t be driving the play. Virtanen and even Gaudette can drive a line way better than Boeser. 

Nope.  Brock (the beautiful) is a ppg player, who has s superior hockey iq

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Nope.  Brock (the beautiful) is a ppg player, who has s superior hockey iq

That has nothing to do with driving play. Watch him when he tries to carry the puck, he doesn’t have the speed or the hands to get around defenders. Pettersson can carry a line, so can Miller, Horvat, because they can all skate. Everyone knows Brock can score and put up points, but that doesn’t mean he can drive a line. Seems like some of you need to learn some hockey iq. 

• Haha 1
Just now, Elias_Pettersson said:

That has nothing to do with driving play. Watch him when he tries to carry the puck, he doesn’t have the speed or the hands to get around defenders. Pettersson can carry a line, so can Miller, Horvat, because they can all skate. Everyone knows Brock can score and put up points, but that doesn’t mean he can drive a line. Seems like some of you need to learn some hockey iq. 

Petey is great.  He’s a super duper star.  Bess has elite hands, and drives play in the ozone with his elite iq.  Think of Rick Middleton.  That’s BB