Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Boeser might.    He isn't getting the puck from EP40 with the frequency he did in their first year of chemistry.   EP has been told to shoot more as has Miller - both have very good shots (heavy and accurate) and that isn't helping Boeser who simply needs to be shooting at least 1 to 1.5 more times per game than he has been for about two months.

Petey also is a lot better at creating his own shot as is Miller. They are both faster and better at handling the puck.

 

The long term solution could be playing Boeser with Horvat. Boeser is gonna have a lot more opportunity to drive the play away from Petey/Miller 5vs5 and he first looked dominant playing along side Bo.

 

It also makes Virtanen a good fit for Petey because he can simplify things, forecheck hard,  get Petey/Miller the puck, go to the net, etc. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Boeser might.    He isn't getting the puck from EP40 with the frequency he did in their first year of chemistry.   EP has been told to shoot more as has Miller - both have very good shots (heavy and accurate) and that isn't helping Boeser who simply needs to be shooting at least 1 to 1.5 more times per game than he has been for about two months.

He's definitely shooting more than he did last year. Idk. Might be 50/50 pass/shoot this year. I dont think I'd describe him as shoot first. I think at most he simply makes whatever the right play is in any given moment. That's the first time I've ever heard someone describe him as shoot-first though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

He's definitely shooting more than he did last year. Idk. Might be 50/50 pass/shoot this year. I dont think I'd describe him as shoot first. I think at most he simply makes whatever the right play is in any given moment. That's the first time I've ever heard someone describe him as shoot-first though.

I didn't say that - I said from Boeser's perspective he may seem that in compare to last season.    Coaches are telling EP to shoot more and Miller likely too.   A line only has so many shot opportunities in a game.    Look for Brock to get more looks on a line that doesn't have EP40 on it for at least the period that EP isn't leading the way as the team's top goal scorer.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I didn't say that - I said from Boeser's perspective he may seem that in compare to last season.    Coaches are telling EP to shoot more and Miller likely too.   A line only has so many shot opportunities in a game.    Look for Brock to get more looks on a line that doesn't have EP40 on it for at least the period that EP isn't leading the way as the team's top goal scorer.

You did say that in your first post! haha

You're right that EP is shooting more this year. He leads in goals, but also leads in assists. Like I said, might be 50/50.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

You did say that in your first post! haha

You're right that EP is shooting more this year. He leads in goals, but also leads in assists. Like I said, might be 50/50.

Right now to Boeser he is probably looking more like 90:10.    Look at tape and see how often BB is getting set up by EP40 in compare to last year.   EP40's shot total is up but his shot attempts even more.   Boeser still leads the team in shot attempts but is way back in mid 30's league wide and he needs to be in top 20 or so to be where Canucks (and the player) want himt to be which means 1 to 1.5 more shots a game (and therefore 1.5 to 2 more shot attempts).   Brock's shots get through more often than EPs but he isn't taking enough of them.   A change of scenery might help him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why everyone is harsh debating about this. It is purely a move by TG to give defenders and even the team itself, a different perspective and a different dynamic. Although statistically BB6 is better than JV18, there are parts of JV18's game that I think is better than BB6, such as speed and physicality and simplicity (maybe it is because JV18 doesn't have the "IQ" that BB6 does) but JV18 is really a straight line and simple player which is great.  In relation to what another poster said above and I have also noticed is BB6 has been passing a lot more (even when the pass isn't clear cut) which causes a lot of turnovers during the PP (for example). Therefore, BB6, being on the line with Rooster and Gauds, can be the "Petey" of the line where he can shoot or create offence for the "less talented" players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Depends upon the metric.   Jake is an entirely different type of player.   He is much faster than Boeser and perhaps the coaching staff want to see more urgency from EP40's game and as Miller can flat out fly too perhaps that is the thought process.   One doesn't have to denigrate Jake to make sense of this move for Boeser.   It may be temporary or it may be more long-term but either way, it isn't always about "better" but more about "different" and this is a very young team still sorting out how to attain consistency with a first-time NHL coach who is probably himself just starting to get the better of other coaches as often as not.   

 

Oh, and on a per minute basis, Jake and Brock are pretty much dead-heat in goals.....and Jake hasn't had EP40 setting him up.   Perhaps coaches like the idea of Brock shooting more and getting away from two other strong "shoot first" players in EP40 and JT.

100% agree with your take of BB drop in goals production ... Let's hope he picks it up, would love that 3rd line to light it up soon.  I find he leaves the zone a little early sometimes, leaving the other guys to get the puck out, he's a little late to the hash mark, as well. You can see it with 7 minutes left in the 3rd of the last game.  Also once he gets the puck he seems to go backwards and either heads back to his zone or passes back to the D, where as the other R wingers would take it up the boards, seems to be lacking confidence at times.  The wrist issue may be getting worse.  I notice also, the break out pass from Hughes, he couldn't receive it properly and lost it 2 strides into the o zone, where as the same pass to Gaudette a few minutes later, Gaudette was able to get a clean shot on net. (Almost exactly the same play) ... this was in game against the Sharks. Here's to hoping he finds  his groove again.  Outside all that, his general play has improved on his 200 foot game and he is contributing in other ways, but wow would it be good if he was firing on all cylinders.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, iBlueGreen said:

100% agree with your take of BB drop in goals production ... Let's hope he picks it up, would love that 3rd line to light it up soon.  I find he leaves the zone a little early sometimes, leaving the other guys to get the puck out, he's a little late to the hash mark, as well. You can see it with 7 minutes left in the 3rd of the last game.  Also once he gets the puck he seems to go backwards and either heads back to his zone or passes back to the D, where as the other R wingers would take it up the boards, seems to be lacking confidence at times.  The wrist issue may be getting worse.  I notice also, the break out pass from Hughes, he couldn't receive it properly and lost it 2 strides into the o zone, where as the same pass to Gaudette a few minutes later, Gaudette was able to get a clean shot on net. (Almost exactly the same play) ... this was in game against the Sharks. Here's to hoping he finds  his groove again.  Outside all that, his general play has improved on his 200 foot game and he is contributing in other ways, but wow would it be good if he was firing on all cylinders.

Oh, don't get me wrong.   He is a great player and has become a far more complete player this season in so many ways.   What he needs to do is what Virtanen has gotten to achieving and learn to do some more things at higher speed both physically and mentally (for those wanting to compare the two quite different players).   EP40 is a freak of nature for someone that young to process things so quickly but you can see Brock behind both players like EP40, Miller and Hughes (perhaps and even greater freak of nature) in terms of processing and he needs to slow things down mentally to do things quicker...if that makes sense.    Playing a more north-south game and looking for shot opportunities only comes from being able to have the puck under your control and being in a good place to receive the puck - he has to work on both.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

...but some CDC posters are still saying...

 

1. his wrist must be sore he doesn't score enough

2. he is passing too much

3. he is sad

 

...blah blah blah.

 

I would hope they would see those stats, smash their head against a brick wall, and realize how good Brock is and quit whining "he just isn't quite right".

 

:frantic:

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

...but some CDC posters are still saying...

 

1. his wrist must be sore he doesn't score enough

2. he is passing too much

3. he is sad

 

...blah blah blah.

 

I would hope they would see those stats, smash their head against a brick wall, and realize how good Brock is and quit whining "he just isn't quite right".

 

:frantic:

I posted a link to his shooting stats a few pages back - Brocks using a broader mix of wrist and snap shots now, plus he's playing a better physical defensive game. He's actually a more complete player and reacting to the league paying more attention to him. All that and basically a point per game. OMG SOMETHINGS WRONG :frantic:

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Waited for a while for them to move Boeser off the top line as he was becoming more of a passenger. Now he has a chance to become more of a driver. I hope he can ignite some offense with Gaudette and Roussel

Hopefully, but let's not pretend that moving away from stars to 3rd liners wouldn't affect almost everyone in the league.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

To be fair, skillset and age needs to be factored in that. The only player I would maybe take Boeser over is Tarasenko. The rest of that list are easily better players.

I think the biggest thing is that Boeser started his NHL career instantly a 1st line player. Most of these guys had much slower starts but eventually became incredible players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What Boeser might need is more of a playmaking facilitator on his line. Problem is Petey and Miller like to drive the play a lot more on that line and it takes away the opportunities for Boeser. Reason why Virtanen is working out well is because he can keep up with them and really complements both players. He knows his role on that line and is playing it to perfection.

 

Great offensive players can a lot of the time work in pairs and Petey/Miller are that. The 3rd guy is usually the lesser of the three offensively but can complement both well with their own solid skill set.

 

For example...

 

Kassian with McDavid/Drisaitl 

Landeskog with Mackinnon/Rantanen 

Bergeron with Marchand/Pasternak

Wilson with OV/Backstrom 

Hyman with Matthews/Marner

 

It might be the case here where it just works out to be better for Petey/Miller to have a complementary guy in Virtanen on their line rather than someone like Boes.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

What Boeser might need is more of a playmaking facilitator on his line. Problem is Petey and Miller like to drive the play a lot more on that line and it takes away the opportunities for Boeser. Reason why Virtanen is working out well is because he can keep up with them and really complements both players. He knows his role on that line and is playing it to perfection.

 

Great offensive players can a lot of the time work in pairs and Petey/Miller are that. The 3rd guy is usually the lesser of the three offensively but can complement both well with their own solid skill set.

 

For example...

 

Kassian with McDavid/Drisaitl 

Landeskog with Mackinnon/Rantanen 

Bergeron with Marchand/Pasternak

Wilson with OV/Backstrom 

Hyman with Matthews/Marner

 

It might be the case here where it just works out to be better for Petey/Miller to have a complementary guy in Virtanen on their line rather than someone like Boes.

Tisk tisk Bergeron is an all Worldly player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Tisk tisk Bergeron is an all Worldly player.

You mistook what I said. I never stated that players can't be really good at other things just not world class elite offensively like the other players on their line.

 

For sure defensively, Selke center,  but he doesn't drive the play offensively, he complements Marchand/Pasternak in that regard like how the others I mention do the same. 

 

The theory is that Virtanen can do the same and complement our two best forwards who like to control/drive play. Likely not at Bergeron's level but nevertheless a good one.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...