The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

I suspect that Benning realized that without Boeser for the rest of the season, there was a very strong chance we don't make the playoffs. He panicked and hence the move for Toffoli. Toffoli isn't as good as Boeser, but he may still be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

There is nothing in particular that is impressive about Tyler Toffoli. He just knows where he should go at all times. He knows what to do with the puck and what to do without the puck. His skating, shooting, vision and hockey IQ are all good but not exceptional. In the past 3 games T.T. got himself open to score 3 goals. Why is that Boeser can no longer get himself open on top of the slot and shoot? This is exactly what Boeser is missing. It will come with time playing many more NHL games. 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

There is nothing in particular that is impressive about Tyler Toffoli. He just knows where he should go at all times. He knows what to do with the puck and what to do without the puck. His skating, shooting, vision and hockey IQ are all good but not exceptional. In the past 3 games T.T. got himself open to score 3 goals. Why is that Boeser can no longer get himself open on top of the slot and shoot? This is exactly what Boeser is missing. It will come with time playing many more NHL games. 

He reminds me a lot of J.T. Miller, actually.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 4:57 PM, -AJ- said:

I suspect that Benning realized that without Boeser for the rest of the season, there was a very strong chance we don't make the playoffs. He panicked and hence the move for Toffoli. Toffoli isn't as good as Boeser, but he may still be helpful.

I think Tyler is a pretty bloody good hockey player. He played a fairly significant role on that LA team.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
D-Money made a good point.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Tyler is a pretty bloody good hockey player. You don't win a Cup if you're not.

I'm not disputing that Tyler is very good.

However, your second sentence is wrong. Some players are just at the right place at the right time. I don't think anyone is going to call Ben Eager, Carter Rowney, Adam Burish, Joe DiPenta, Dan Carcillo, Chad LaRose, and Jordan Nolan 'pretty bloody good hockey players'.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I'm not disputing that Tyler is very good.

However, your second sentence is wrong. Some players are just at the right place at the right time. I don't think anyone is going to call Ben Eager, Carter Rowney, Adam Burish, Joe DiPenta, Dan Carcillo, Chad LaRose, and Jordan Nolan 'pretty bloody good hockey players'.

Good point. There are definite role players on those teams, who offer very specific skillsets to their teams. Robert Bortuzzo comes to mind as the most recent example.

On 2/18/2020 at 4:57 PM, -AJ- said:

He still maybe helpful?  Bruh, he is helpful and this wasn't a panic move, it was a solid move.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Maddogy said:

image.png.2ae37bbe4698c63d3ce2af77520e233a.png

So, what is Boeser's issue?

Maybe he is busy setting up others for goals.  ::D

Edit: I saw your last sentence and agree somewhat. But we also cannot down play the skills Boeser has that include BOTH scoring and setting up goals.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

image.png.2ae37bbe4698c63d3ce2af77520e233a.png

So, what is Boeser's issue?

Maybe he is busy setting up others for goals.  ::D

Lack of scoring and drive. Benefiting from playing with two guys that have better chemistry together. Gets prime-time but isn't what we're use to seeing from him.

Put Virtanen or Toffoli on the #1PP and next to Petey/Miller 90% of the year see how many points they get. You could argue Toffoli gets more and the PP is better with him.

Boeser is still a top 6 forward but used to be a dangerous top line scorer. Far cry from his rookie season. If he was as he was back then he'd have more than 30 goals and might be pushing 40. Petey/Miller might have more points as well because we'd be a much better team. Unfortunately that's not the case this year and he has taken a step back.

Hopefully he can become that top line scorer for us again. We need one.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Lack of scoring and drive. Benefiting from playing with two guys that have better chemistry together. Gets prime-time but isn't what we're use to seeing from him.

Put Virtanen or Toffoli on the #1PP and next to Petey/Miller 90% of the year see how many points they get. You could argue Toffoli gets more and the PP is better with him.

Boeser is still a top 6 forward but used to be a dangerous top line scorer. Far cry from his rookie season. If he was as he was back then he'd have more than 30 goals and might be pushing 40. Petey/Miller might have more points as well because we'd be a much better team. Unfortunately that's not the case this year and he has taken a step back.

Hopefully he can become that top line scorer for us again. We need one.

We need a top line scorer? There should only be 93 in the league. So far the Canucks have four:  

JT Miller with 24 goals is 35th overall.

Petey with 25 goals is 28th overall.

Toffoli with 21 goals is 56th overall.

Horvat with 20 goals is 62nd overall.

I kinda get what you are saying in that you thought Boeser would be elite at scoring and very high up in the league at it. Still lots of time.

Still does not mean he is not a top line scorer.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

We need a top line scorer? There should only be 93 in the league. So far the Canucks have four:  

JT Miller with 24 goals is 35th overall.

Petey with 25 goals is 28th overall.

Toffoli with 21 goals is 56th overall.

Horvat with 20 goals is 62nd overall.

I kinda get what you are saying in that you thought Boeser would be elite at scoring and very high up in the league at it. Still lots of time.

Still does not mean he is not a top line scorer.

Top goal scorer is what I meant. Like Matthews/OV/etc. We don't have one of those this year. Got some good guys offensively.

Not saying Boeser is awful. Still a top 6 guy right now but he hasn't shown that elite goal scoring we've seen in seasons past and for him to be as effective as he can possibly be then he needs to be that again.

It's not really a matter of concern yet. He's been on the downswing but it isn't as bad as anyone thinks and it is only his 3rd year.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Top goal scorer is what I meant. Like Matthews/OV/etc. We don't have one of those this year. Got some good guys offensively.

Not saying Boeser is awful. Still a top 6 guy right now but he hasn't shown that elite goal scoring we've seen in seasons past and for him to be as effective as he can possibly be then he needs to be that again.

It's not really a matter of concern yet. He's been on the downswing but it isn't as bad as anyone thinks and it is only his 3rd year.

Ok then.  Fair enough.  One of the elites does have as many goals as our top 2.  

Watching a parent dealing with the pain, discomfort, humility, fear, etc from a very serious (possibly terminal) illness can be a mind numbing, heartbreaking, stressful experience that sucks the energy right out of you.  Especially for a young guy like Brock.

He's just 23 yrs and has lots of developing to do still.  Not even close to his prime. 

Boeser is going to be plagued throughout his career with injuries if he doesn't learn to keep his feet moving and his head up. He is still getting nailed like a rookie out there and it's taking a toll on him. He needs to pick up the pace when he gets back and learn to take/avoid checks. 

• Upvote 1