The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

On 5/31/2020 at 1:43 PM, lmm said:

I never understand why Canuck fans think we, as a non playoff/non contending team can package guys that cannot make our team in order to pluck other teams future stars.

Are you still talking about Dobson? 

He was a # 12 pick and he is 6'4" D-man

What value is Rafferty, Brise or OJ to the Isles, if they cannot make the Canucks?

Would you do that deal if you were the Isles? if so why?

for that matter, if you were the Canucks, would you trade away Boeser for Virty+ one of those guys?

I think as Canuck fans, we'd all be happy to trade away Ballard, Raymond and a 2nd, but it didn't happen when we were winning, it has less chance now that we are not.

I thought the consensus on CDC was that OJ will be better than the Tkachuk pick...if that's the case, I'd do it in a heart beat, if I was the Isles

Dobson and OJ haven't done anything in the NHL yet....but both have potential. The Isles get a potential Dman who will be close to a Dobson if OJ reaches his potential, and they would be getting a power forward who is ready to breakout.

Need to keep selling the potential when the cupboards are full with the top prospects....Dobson is still potential but I like his potential better than OJs, who is the sweetener to the 40-50 pts power forward trade.

Edited by Pete M

8 hours ago, wildcam said:

Yes like your idea, NYI are a team in need of a winger like Boeser or Virtanen...There are 5 or 6 teams that need some better wingers under 25 and we could possibly be there trading partner.. I think this stuff will happen after the season is officially over which is uncertain... 

Going to be so strange with the draft this year in June?? How can you make a big trade as this season is not over and  playoffs have not started?

Such strange events,  draft will not be exciting as it will be  teams taking there picks..Example can't trade Demko for late 1st rounder?? We need him, playoffs have not started..lol..lol. 

This makes things so difficult for all 31 GM'S... 

One thing with holding the 7 team lottery before the play in round...... is the play-in round teams will know if they have a chance of getting a top three pick or not if a bottom 7 team loses the lottery and drops below the seven place position. 

Edited by Pete M

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

I thought the consensus on CDC was that OJ will be better than the Tkachuk pick...if that's the case, I'd do it in a heart beat, if I was the Isles

Dobson and OJ haven't done anything in the NHL yet....but both have potential. The Isles get a potential Dman who will be close to a Dobson if OJ reaches his potential, and they would be getting a power forward who is ready to breakout.

Need to keep selling the potential when the cupboards are full with the top prospects....Dobson is still potential but I like his potential better than OJs, who is the sweetener to the 40-50 pts power forward trade.

I"ll have run this by aGENT or Sam

I am not clear if "consensus on CDC" is more or less credible than JD Burke

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

:picard:

No team is taking OJ and trading anything of significance in return. Good god this is bad lol.

13 hours ago, Pete M said:

I don't think anyone thought OJ would be better than Tkachuck. It was more so we needed defense and you don't want to go the route The Oilers did where you just keep drafting forwards because they are the BPA. 

10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

:picard:

No team is taking OJ and trading anything of significance in return. Good god this is bad lol.

So if OJ becomes that stud dman...nothing lost, nothing gained....I don't know what side of the fence you are on...lol.

I know he isn't better than MT...but he might still end up being good. ...Sedins never hit their stride until they were 24 years old.

OJ is still a good prospect because he is only 22 years old and he is still improving...I wouldn't give up hope on him yet...which means he still has potential and therefore has good trade value.

Edited by Pete M

On 6/1/2020 at 6:31 PM, Pete M said:

I don't think there's even been a consensus on that. If anything, there was a pretty vocal group in favour of Tkachuk being better so you probably thought wrong in that regard. lol

As far as comparing OJ with Dobson and what they've done, you're comparing a 2016 draft pick with a 2018 draft pick. 2 years can make a huge difference. Furthermore, Dobson's actually played a few NHL games so far whereas OJ has not. I'd say at this point Dobson's worth quite a bit more than OJ, so it's just not a good comparison. Clearly you like Dobson's potential more, but that's also likely going to be the case among GM's especially given the difference in age. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't think there's even been a consensus on that. If anything, there was a pretty vocal group in favour of Tkachuk being better so you probably thought wrong in that regard. lol

As far as comparing OJ with Dobson and what they've done, you're comparing a 2016 draft pick with a 2018 draft pick. 2 years can make a huge difference. Furthermore, Dobson's actually played a few NHL games so far whereas OJ has not. I'd say at this point Dobson's worth quite a bit more than OJ, so it's just not a good comparison. Clearly you like Dobson's potential more, but that's also likely going to be the case among GM's especially given the difference in age. lol

that's why OJ is the sweetner to a JV trade....just hoping OJ comes through and proves me and others wrong.

14 hours ago, Pete M said:

that's why OJ is the sweetner to a JV trade....just hoping OJ comes through and proves me and others wrong.

Don’t know if I would trade both Juolevi and Virtanen for Dobson alone. Virtanen is going to be a solid NHLer. Would hate to lose him honestly. Tough situation. 

9 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I can see Virtanen be part of a package for Ristolainen in Buffalo.

not sure that helps us all that much. We'd lose Jake, and have to take on 5.4 mil in salary which means we lose Tanev for sure as well. So we'd minus out Jake and Tanev to add Risto. Dunno, that doesn't feel like an upgrade to me. I'd rather try to flip Jake for a younger less expensive RFA d. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure that helps us all that much. We'd lose Jake, and have to take on 5.4 mil in salary which means we lose Tanev for sure as well. So we'd minus out Jake and Tanev to add Risto. Dunno, that doesn't feel like an upgrade to me. I'd rather try to flip Jake for a younger less expensive RFA d. 

Cap wise it definitely doesn't make the most sense. However, Buffalo needs a shake up and major changes are coming. JB has been quoted that he will move a forward as this is the most crowded position in the organization. Canucks have been linked to Ristolainen in recent years when it comes to trade rumours so I won't be surprise that JB will try to make a play for Ristolainen. Tanev is definitely a better defensive defenseman than Ristolainen and Risolainen has better offensive capabilities. His defensive game also to a big step forward this passed season. I can see the organization choose to go with a young RHD in Ristolaien who is still 25 y/o and will fit the age group of the core better by just moving on from Tanev and bring in Rostolainen for the future.

4 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Cap wise it definitely doesn't make the most sense. However, Buffalo needs a shake up and major changes are coming. JB has been quoted that he will move a forward as this is the most crowded position in the organization. Canucks have been linked to Ristolainen in recent years when it comes to trade rumours so I won't be surprise that JB will try to make a play for Ristolainen. Tanev is definitely a better defensive defenseman than Ristolainen and Risolainen has better offensive capabilities. His defensive game also to a big step forward this passed season. I can see the organization choose to go with a young RHD in Ristolaien who is still 25 y/o and will fit the age group of the core better by just moving on from Tanev and bring in Rostolainen for the future.

I just wish his salary was a bit lower.... hard to get it in on a likely flat cap... but that could be why Buffalo needs to move him too. A right side of Myers-RIsto-Tryamkin could be interesting tho ::D

On 6/4/2020 at 11:29 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Virtanen + Stecher... That salary (after their pending raises) would largely be a wash.

Then role with Risto, Tanev and Myers on the right.

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Virtanen + Stecher... That salary (after their pending raises) would largely be a wash.

Then role with Risto, Tanev and Myers on the right.

I guess I still wonder why Buffalo does that.... but I just checked the stats and Jake would be their 4th highest scorer this year. So who knows? 

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess I still wonder why Buffalo does that.... but I just checked the stats and Jake would be their 4th highest scorer this year. So who knows? 

Yup they need forward, and RW in particular IIRC, help. Risto has also long been rumored to want out.

I'd imagine we'd be adding a prospect as well to make it worth their while.

And not saying that's a shoe in at all. Just spit balling.

Rolling in to next year with something like:

Edler/Hughes, Risto

Edler/Hughes, Tanev

Tryamkin, Myers

Brisebois, Rafferty (Benn traded)

...would be an awful nice upgrade.

And with Virtanen gone, we could still have the following at F.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Leivo/Ferland?, Gaudette, Sutter (Roussel traded)

Motte, Beagle, MacEwan

Eriksson as 13th and Hoglander, Lind, Podkolzin, Jasek as near term youth replacements to fill in for injuries, Sutter leaving next summer etc.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Edler/Hughes, Risto

Edler/Hughes, Tanev

Tryamkin, Myers

Brisebois, Rafferty (Benn traded)

that is a nice upgrade for sure. Tryamkin and Myers... if they both stick their arms out thats 1/4 of the rink width :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that is a nice upgrade for sure. Tryamkin and Myers... if they both stick their arms out thats 1/4 of the rink width :lol:

And Risto/Edler bring a fair bit of size/reach to the other two pairs as well. Come on Benning!

On June 6, 2020 at 11:17 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Some good talk on Tryamkin and Tanev today on Sportsnet 650..They mention Tryamkin was not happy on his KHL team this year and his "C" was removed from his jersey?? Was that not the same issues here 3 yrs ago??? Like Sportsnet guys were saying he just might have that type of personality??

For sure Tryamkin is not a top 4 D man like so many fans think..At best he is a #5 D man plays between 14 -- 16 mins a game...Need to be on a friendly cap at most 2 yrs X 1.8 million show me more deal..

Tanev_- The guys had mixed feelings..4.5 million is over paying a stay at home D man that might play 60 games- 20 points...His body has been worn down with his serious injuries over the last 4 years??

Stetcher -- He was playing up to 18 mins last 10 games but he is not a # 4 guy...Solid depth guy and # 5 D man? UFA- maybe trade or depth ?

Rafferty  - Should be ready to fill # 5 D spot at $750,000 

Save Tanev money and maybe sign a UFA Barrie and have 2 offensive guys on first and second defence units..

Another option sign Taffoli --Then trade either Boeser or Virtanen for that # 3 D man.....Boeser would bring back better return and his salary of 5.9 million..

Myers - Hughes

Edler - Barrie

Rafferty - Benn

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Some good talk on Tryamkin and Tanev today on Sportsnet 650..They mention Tryamkin was not happy on his KHL team this year and his "C" was removed from his jersey?? Was that not the same issues here 3 yrs ago??? Like Sportsnet guys were saying he just might have that type of personality??

For sure Tryamkin is not a top 4 D man like so many fans think..At best he is a #5 D man plays between 14 -- 16 mins a game...Need to be on a friendly cap at most 2 yrs X 1.8 million show me more deal..

Tanev_- The guys had mixed feelings..4.5 million is over paying a stay at home D man that might play 60 games- 20 points...His body has been worn down with his serious injuries over the last 4 years??

Stetcher -- He was playing up to 18 mins last 10 games but he is not a # 4 guy...Solid depth guy and # 5 D man? UFA- maybe trade or depth ?

Rafferty  - Should be ready to fill # 5 D spot at $750,000 

Save Tanev money and maybe sign a UFA Barrie and have 2 offensive guys on first and second defence units..

Another option sign Taffoli --Then trade either Boeser or Virtanen for that # 3 D man.....Boeser would bring back better return and his salary of 5.9 million..

Myers - Hughes

Edler - Barrie

Rafferty - Benn

I hope Tanev and Toffoli are resigned.

tryamkin....wow...big surprise he didn't like yet another of his teams.  I would only sign him if it was cheap so he can show he can play in the NHL. He is only a 5/6 D man...he won't make the difference. I like what he brings, if he could just have an ego smaller than his body.