The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

17 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I hope Tanev and Toffoli are resigned.

tryamkin....wow...big surprise he didn't like yet another of his teams.  I would only sign him if it was cheap so he can show he can play in the NHL. He is only a 5/6 D man...he won't make the difference. I like what he brings, if he could just have an ego smaller than his body.  

well while your at it, why not trade Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser and then keep the guys that can't score!!!!!

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

well while your at it, why not trade Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser and then keep the guys that can't score!!!!!

What a bizarre thing to type.

If you want to trade Petey and Hughes maybe you should find another team.  :picard:

I want to watch both those superstars for years on my Canucks team.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 6/10/2020 at 7:20 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

tryamkin....wow...big surprise he didn't like yet another of his teams.  I would only sign him if it was cheap so he can show he can play in the NHL. He is only a 5/6 D man...he won't make the difference. I like what he brings, if he could just have an ego smaller than his body.  

Tryamkin was a placeholder captain till Nigel Dawes was healthy.  They always wanted the team scoring leader to be captain. That's Tryamkin's home town.  He'd drive the zamboni if they asked him. But during league play, Tryamkin spoke to the refs for all penalty explanations. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

On 6/11/2020 at 4:16 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

What a bizarre thing to type.

If you want to trade Petey and Hughes maybe you should find another team.  :picard:

I want to watch both those superstars for years on my Canucks team.

i was being sarcastic  to all those who want to trade Boeser who is a pure goal scorer!!!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

With Toffoli likely to be Petey's right side trigger man, this could be a good way for Boeser to regain his play driving game.

Of course Boeser played great with Petey, but with Petey and even Miller taking a lot of the puck possession away, Boeser took a more supportive offensive role.  With playing on Bo's line, he can be a play driving player and develop other aspects of his offensive play that we first saw in his rookie season.

I can recall even when he played in North Dakota he was very intentional in driving play on his own especially the year where Cagguila and Schmaltz graduated to the NHL.  He can start to take a more prominent role on that second line.  

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With Toffoli likely to be Petey's right side trigger man, this could be a good way for Boeser to regain his play driving game.

Of course Boeser played great with Petey, but with Petey and even Miller taking a lot of the puck possession away, Boeser took a more supportive offensive role.  With playing on Bo's line, he can be a play driving player and develop other aspects of his offensive play that we first saw in his rookie season.

I can recall even when he played in North Dakota he was very intentional in driving play on his own especially the year where Cagguila and Schmaltz graduated to the NHL.  He can start to take a more prominent role on that second line.  

They're might be something to this. Once Petey joined, I think Brock slid into a complementary role for Petey. If Boeser lined up with Horvat, he may see the opening to be the offensive star of the line again. 

On 6/10/2020 at 3:41 PM, wildcam said:

Some good talk on Tryamkin and Tanev today on Sportsnet 650..They mention Tryamkin was not happy on his KHL team this year and his "C" was removed from his jersey?? Was that not the same issues here 3 yrs ago??? Like Sportsnet guys were saying he just might have that type of personality??

For sure Tryamkin is not a top 4 D man like so many fans think..At best he is a #5 D man plays between 14 -- 16 mins a game...Need to be on a friendly cap at most 2 yrs X 1.8 million show me more deal..

Tanev_- The guys had mixed feelings..4.5 million is over paying a stay at home D man that might play 60 games- 20 points...His body has been worn down with his serious injuries over the last 4 years??

Stetcher -- He was playing up to 18 mins last 10 games but he is not a # 4 guy...Solid depth guy and # 5 D man? UFA- maybe trade or depth ?

Rafferty  - Should be ready to fill # 5 D spot at $750,000 

Save Tanev money and maybe sign a UFA Barrie and have 2 offensive guys on first and second defence units..

Another option sign Taffoli --Then trade either Boeser or Virtanen for that # 3 D man.....Boeser would bring back better return and his salary of 5.9 million..

Myers - Hughes

Edler - Barrie

Rafferty - Benn

Nuts. Missed the SN650. I'll have to find the podcast for that show. 

• Tanev. For me, I think he's gone. He's a good defensive defenseman, but the concern for me moving forward would be his health. He hasn't been able to keep healthy before he hit 30, I'm not convinced he's able to keep healthy past 30. The body usually declines as you get older. 
  • Stetcher. I like him. He's a heart and soul kind of guy. But for what he's going to be asking for in terms of his next contract - we won't be able to afford him. So while I'd love for Stetcher to be back, I don't think management will retain him. He'll be cut loose. 
  • Rafferty still very much unproven. Let's wait and see how he performs during training camp to see what he's got. If he's got game, then yeah, I can see him slotting as the #5 defenseman for this upcoming season. Grooming him to eventually become a top four defenseman. 
  • Tyson Barrie. Unless he's coming for cheap, I'm not sure we can afford him as well as Markström and Toffoli. I'd focus on attempting to sign those guys first, before signing Barrie. If we sign Barrie before those guys, then our cap situation is nearly impossible to resolve. 
  • I'd hate to trade Boeser or Virtanen. Those two guys seem like really solid players ready to break out (especially for Jake). I think we need to continue to draft defensemen. We got Hughes, but that's not nearly enough. Rafferty? Not proven. Rathbone? Again, not proven. Juolevi? Potential, but not proven. We have some young guys on the backend, that need to prove that they belong in the bigs. So for the time being, it's pretty much the same moving forward. I also don't believe management wants to trade Boeser. 

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Yeah, I'd love for Horvat and Boeser to be reuinted again. Horvat, Boeser and Pearson. Might just work. I'd even swap Pearson and Virtanen (if Virtanen can prove he can play on that second line). 

On 6/10/2020 at 7:20 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Between the two - I can do without Tanev, if I had to choose, but Toffoli we need to keep. 

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Brock benefited from playing with Vanek on his wing in his rookie year. If we had a smart vet winger to dish Brock I think we would see that same play drive come back.

Pearson or Ferland could be that guy though. 

5 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Brock benefited from playing with Vanek on his wing in his rookie year. If we had a smart vet winger to dish Brock I think we would see that same play drive come back.

Pearson or Ferland could be that guy though. 

I suppose we might need a guy who can make smart passes. Both Ferland and Pearson lean more towards goals than assists. Virtanen also tends to score more goals, which only leaves fringe top six forwards in Leivo and Gaudette as potential play-making wingers (and Gaudette plays centre mostly). If Roussel goes back to what he was in 2018-19, he's also a fringe top six guy and he was particularly good at setting up Horvat during that season.

Basically, outside of Miller and Petey, we don't have any great setup forwards. Horvat might end up being Boeser's best option if Bo can focus on the playmaking side a bit more. Horvat was on pace for a 37-assist season this year, so he probably has it in him to be Boeser's set-up man.

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I suppose we might need a guy who can make smart passes. Both Ferland and Pearson lean more towards goals than assists. Virtanen also tends to score more goals, which only leaves fringe top six forwards in Leivo and Gaudette as potential play-making wingers (and Gaudette plays centre mostly). If Roussel goes back to what he was in 2018-19, he's also a fringe top six guy and he was particularly good at setting up Horvat during that season.

Basically, outside of Miller and Petey, we don't have any great setup forwards. Horvat might end up being Boeser's best option if Bo can focus on the playmaking side a bit more. Horvat was on pace for a 37-assist season this year, so he probably has it in him to be Boeser's set-up man.

I think the point would be too though is that Boeser would learn to diversify his offensive tools and not rely so much of scoring goals himself but creating chances and setting them up too.  Of course you want to draw out his strengths in his shot, but to make him less predictable and more well rounded as an offensive player is to see him set up plays too. 

We started to see a little bit last year and some this year where he began to develop that vision and skill again.  Being the guy on the 2nd line will allow him more touches on the puck and it on his stick which means he can control the flow of play himself.  Of his 18 goals this year, 12 of them came off of tip ins, loose puck battles, or he initiated the play himself.  I don't think he really needs a playmaker, he is so smart and knows naturally where the puck lands that he places himself in spots where the puck eventually finds him. 

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I think the point would be too though is that Boeser would learn to diversify his offensive tools and not rely so much of scoring goals himself but creating chances and setting them up too.  Of course you want to draw out his strengths in his shot, but to make him less predictable and more well rounded as an offensive player is to see him set up plays too. 

We started to see a little bit last year and some this year where he began to develop that vision and skill again.  Being the guy on the 2nd line will allow him more touches on the puck and it on his stick which means he can control the flow of play himself.  Of his 18 goals this year, 12 of them came off of tip ins, loose puck battles, or he initiated the play himself.  I don't think he really needs a playmaker, he is so smart and knows naturally where the puck lands that he places himself in spots where the puck eventually finds him. 

I suppose I want to see some of that goal-scoring return for him. I think he very adequately showed he can be a set up guy if needed this year--he was on a 42-assist pace. I'd just rather see him score 35 goals and 35 assists than 25 goals and 45 assists, particularly because we still lack an elite goal scorer unless Brock is in his rookie form. We have a lot of good and great goal scorers, but our best right now only barely crest the 30-goal pace. Maybe it's greedy of me, but I'm eager to see a guy who can push 40 goals and beyond and I still think Boeser can get there.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Trading Boeser before trying to move guys like Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, LE, Benn, JV, etc would be a bad idea.

Those things are not connected in the slightest.

Boeser is a bonafide top line winger that is young and would get a haul in return.

The rest of those guys would get almost nothing in return (except JV).

• Upvote 2