The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Brock is not having a good series.....looks like he's lost his confidence, a stride in his skating and his laser shot.  I'm asking legitimately.....has his shot ever been the same since before his wrist (?) injury?  Hoping that shot returns! 

It is definitely of the utmost importance that he comes to life if they want to see the next round.

I feel like he's been misused as a power play weapon.  Like Ovie, Laine and Stamkos his success initially came from that left dot, but his current placement behind the net is not using his strengths, nor is it helping the team direct pucks to the net.

The current setup with him in front of the net (ultimately to the side of it) doesn't work as he's not one to set screens and try for tips or jam the net, and while he's technically a passing "option", Bo the bumper in front is clearly double-teamed to prevent the one-timer.  With that Brock has to resort to banking it off the wall to Miller and/ or Hughes which is all the way along the half wall or blue-line, but they never get to attack the danger zone areas right in the middle of the Blues' diamond setup.  The only current shooting threats are Quinn and Miller up top, and even Pete's one-timer is looking more predictable as there's no one-time threat to Quinn's left, while everyone can home in on Miller or Hughes if they're just attacking in isolation from a distance. 

My question would be, if coach knows what Brock's skills are (one-timer, snipe), and what Miller's skills are (tips, plus he has size to battle and the hands to work in tight), then would he not be flexible enough to establish the triangle up top, and put Miller and Horvat as bumper and net-presence respectively?  That would generate two sections of attack (down-low with Miller and Bo, plus both can tip and jam for pucks) and three one-timer options up top.

Quinn
           /               \ 
     Pete  <----->  Brock 
               Miller

Horvat

Allen

It's up to you coach.  Don't let your vaunted power play, your bread and butter which is probably the way to get back into the series, go stale.

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I feel like he's been misused as a power play weapon.  Like Ovie, Laine and Stamkos his success initially came from that left dot, but his current placement behind the net is not using his strengths, nor is it helping the team direct pucks to the net.

The current setup with him in front of the net (ultimately to the side of it) doesn't work as he's not one to set screens and try for tips or jam the net, and while he's technically a passing "option", Bo the bumper in front is clearly double-teamed to prevent the one-timer.  With that Brock has to resort to banking it off the wall to Miller and/ or Hughes which is all the way along the half wall or blue-line, but they never get to attack the danger zone areas right in the middle of the Blues' diamond setup.  The only current shooting threats are Quinn and Miller up top, and even Pete's one-timer is looking more predictable as there's no one-time threat to Quinn's left, while everyone can home in on Miller or Hughes if they're just attacking in isolation from a distance. 

My question would be, if coach knows what Brock's skills are (one-timer, snipe), and what Miller's skills are (tips, plus he has size to battle and the hands to work in tight), then would he not be flexible enough to establish the triangle up top, and put Miller and Horvat as bumper and net-presence respectively?  That would generate two sections of attack (down-low with Miller and Bo, plus both can tip and jam for pucks) and three one-timer options up top.

Quinn
           /               \ 
     Pete  <----->  Brock 
               Miller

Horvat

Allen

It's up to you coach.  Don't let your vaunted power play, your bread and butter which is probably the way to get back into the series, go stale.

It's pretty clear that Miller's shot this season has been far superior to Brock's. This is a powerplay that was #4 in the league and around #1 so far these playoffs (could use a fact check here), and Miller being in the position he is in is a big part of it. I wouldn't change it over one game of bad execution.

I do agree that it's not playing to Brock's strengths, but that's sort of a necessity given our success. I would say that a better option, in my opinion, would be to have him be a key to our PP2 instead at that position that you drew up. 

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Brock is not having a good series.....looks like he's lost his confidence, a stride in his skating and his laser shot.  I'm asking legitimately.....has his shot ever been the same since before his wrist (?) injury?  Hoping that shot returns! 

I mean, he played well against Minny. 

I don't know how a player can lose confidence so quickly. Like are these hockey players that fragile confidence wise??

41 minutes ago, BPA said:

Brock seems to have lost a step.  Wondering if he's experiencing back/groin pain.

Yea. He hasn't had a good series against St. Louis. When the Canucks were winning the first two games - he was overshadowed by Horvat. 

Now that they've lost two in a row - he's been invisible on the ice almost. 

13 minutes ago, Grape said:

It's pretty clear that Miller's shot this season has been far superior to Brock's. This is a powerplay that was #4 in the league and around #1 so far these playoffs (could use a fact check here), and Miller being in the position he is in is a big part of it. I wouldn't change it over one game of bad execution.

I do agree that it's not playing to Brock's strengths, but that's sort of a necessity given our success. I would say that a better option, in my opinion, would be to have him be a key to our PP2 instead at that position that you drew up. 

I'd agree that in terms of velocity and the shooter's conviction in leaning into the shot, Miller's ahead of Boeser at this time. 
The power play has had some success with Miller on the left block, I'll acknowledge that much.
However, even present statistics can become a thing of the past if they can't evolve with the times and overcome the hurdles presented.

Just like the Sedin cycle, I don't think it's too unreasonable to mix up the elements to keep the defense on their toes.  For instance, you see how the Blues have Perron on both the left wall (as a one-time shooter) and on the right (as a threat to either shoot or pass back to Pietrangelo)?  Players are versatile and fresh looks can sometimes be what's needed to generate new success.  I'm not saying EVERY possession has to have Brock back in that point spot but keeping that possibility in the back pocket would again leave the option for more one-timers from different areas which could result in different bounces and tips, which could help collapse the Blues PK.  Instead, in the final PK of the game, Miller and Hughes were literally hammering shots into Blues' skates as they knew that the PP had to get the puck on net and they had Pete's one-timer covered.  In situations like this, is it not time to at least tinker with the wheel, even if they aren't reinventing it?    

I also disagree that he would find success in the 2nd unit which is more of a dump-and-chase group with Gaudette out.  Unless he's the fourth forward at the point next to Edler for one-timers, again I'm not sure whether mucking down low is really his game, especially alongside grinders like Pearson, Sutter and Roussel.

Edited by Phil_314

59 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd agree that in terms of velocity and the shooter's conviction in leaning into the shot, Miller's ahead of Boeser at this time. 
The power play has had some success with Miller on the left block, I'll acknowledge that much.
However, even present statistics can become a thing of the past if they can't evolve with the times and overcome the hurdles presented.

Just like the Sedin cycle, I don't think it's too unreasonable to mix up the elements to keep the defense on their toes.  For instance, you see how the Blues have Perron on both the left wall (as a one-time shooter) and on the right (as a threat to either shoot or pass back to Pietrangelo)?  Players are versatile and fresh looks can sometimes be what's needed to generate new success.  I'm not saying EVERY possession has to have Brock back in that point spot but keeping that possibility in the back pocket would again leave the option for more one-timers from different areas which could result in different bounces and tips, which could help collapse the Blues PK.  Instead, in the final PK of the game, Miller and Hughes were literally hammering shots into Blues' skates as they knew that the PP had to get the puck on net and they had Pete's one-timer covered.  In situations like this, is it not time to at least tinker with the wheel, even if they aren't reinventing it?    

I also disagree that he would find success in the 2nd unit which is more of a dump-and-chase group with Gaudette out.  Unless he's the fourth forward at the point next to Edler for one-timers, again I'm not sure whether mucking down low is really his game, especially alongside grinders like Pearson, Sutter and Roussel.

Exactly, you go in a 7 game playoff series, you need to make adjustments. Its not the regular season where you face one team, then a different team the next game. The PP has to adapt, because right now, its obvious that all the puck moving is ending up at Peteys stick and the blues basically have a wall ready when he's one timing it. I see Miller have the puck on the left wall and sometimes drove me nuts that he's just looking to pass, when theres a clear shot. They need to have Brock on that side once in awhile so theres a shooting threat. Its just Petey and Quinn shooting right now in the PP

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Exactly, you go in a 7 game playoff series, you need to make adjustments. Its not the regular season where you face one team, then a different team the next game. The PP has to adapt, because right now, its obvious that all the puck moving is ending up at Peteys stick and the blues basically have a wall ready when he's one timing it. I see Miller have the puck on the left wall and sometimes drove me nuts that he's just looking to pass, when theres a clear shot. They need to have Brock on that side once in awhile so theres a shooting threat. Its just Petey and Quinn shooting right now in the PP

too predictable 

Miller took Brock's spot on the PP because Miller has been better there. Until Brock gets his wrist shot back or starts shooting more one tee's, Miller will likely stay there.

As for Brock this series, it could be that he hasn't lost a step, rather the Blues are a faster team.

If only we could give Jake's speed to Brock, that is my only flaw with Brock is I wish he was a bit quicker or had that extra gear like Jake or Bo to drive to the net. We could always move Brock to the 2nd PP unit to make him the "go to" target for a one timer on the left side.

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

too predictable 

Instead of simply critiquing and pointing out issues, what has been your contribution?

All you've done in your past 3 replies is point out shortcomings and give two-word, non-elaborated responses that provide nothing to the discussion.   
If Coach Green had your mentality the team's packing its bags by Friday.

Edited by Phil_314

55 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

If only we could give Jake's speed to Brock, that is my only flaw with Brock is I wish he was a bit quicker or had that extra gear like Jake or Bo to drive to the net. We could always move Brock to the 2nd PP unit to make him the "go to" target for a one timer on the left side.

Agreed.  He seems tentative, both in shooting and driving to the net.
At the risk of exposing the 2nd unit for not having any face-off ability (before anyone comments and looks foolish for "pointing it out", I'm mentioning it already), I'd be open to put Sutter on PP1 and have him and Miller regularly swap sides.  In the Sedin era, there was a time when Sutter was the only legit right shot threat and he did some damage, even though it was in set plays.  As well, even in the Wild series he wasn't afraid to rush the net when the puck went there, so I'd be fine IF THE FIRST PP GOT TOTALLY SHUTDOWN to put Sutter on PP1 and someone like Roussel as the screener to free up more talent for the 2nd PP.

Quinn
Sutter/ Miller              Miller/ Sutter (three outside shot threats)
                      Horvat
                     Roussel (purely for traffic and down-low plays)

I'd even double shift Miller to have the Lotto Line run PP2

Edler   

Pete                Brock
           Miller (he's been expert in screens and tips from long shots; if he's exhausted can swap in Jake)
          Pearson? (good at puck retrieval and good down-low)

Edited by Phil_314

I wonder how much trade value he has. IF MIN offered u their 9th overall pick would u do that 1 for 1 for boeser? Personally I would so we can draft the goalie Askarov cuz Demko is 100% gone. Wouldn't mind Holtz either

Also sheds cap space to sign petey and hughes next season cuz they prob both command 10M+ 

Edited by DontMessMe

I knew Brock wasn't a puckhandling wizard of any kind, from the looks of it he was competent enough to make plays and instill trust that when he had the puck, he wouldn't be giving it up.  Lately, not only do I see someone who lacks confidence, but man he doesn't instill a lot of confidence in his linemates/teammates to hold the puck.  You can often see Miller and Petey defer to one another rather than giving it to Brock because he often loses handle of it or skates himself into a corner and turns it over.  He has averaged 2 giveaways per game and the highest total across the 4 games against the Blues.

I can't tell if he is nervous, lacks confidence, his wrists are bothering him, or his new blade is causing him issues, but he looks very incompetent with the puck.  It bobbles on his stick, it jumps everywhere, he cannot seem to corral it, and it literally looks like he is handling a grenade.  For whatever reason, this season, I've noticed his puck handling skills have been quite mediocre, and its being heightened even more so with games on the line.  Even when he loads up to shoot, the pucks bobbling and he is firing it high and wide.  He already takes a while to wind up for a shot, but with him not being able to settle the puck on his stick, it seems like an eternity.

If he isn't scoring and isn't generating offense he needs to dumb down his game more.  Be consistent in board battles, skate hard defensively, get pucks out of the defensive zone, and just be a solid hard working player.  At times throughout the past 2 seasons, I've noticed Brock falls into a pattern of apathetic-looking efforts when he is struggling with confidence.  He floats in the defensive zone, isn't very hard on pucks, and is very casual with the puck when he does have it.  When he is feeling it, you notice a difference in his effort level.  Obviously, it is not as bad as say Jake Virtanen apathy, but you can tell there is a drop off in his overall interest level and it reflects in his play.

He needs to find ways to stay engaged with the game when he isn't getting goals or dominating possession time.  One thing I saw him adjust against Minnesota was he began going to the net, that is where he found his two goals.  Here against St Louis, other than being the net front give and go pass back, I don't think I've seen Boeser drive towards the net front, I see lot of him surveying from the outskirts of the ice.  

All the top guys have shown up this series, but if we go anywhere, Brock is going to have to be a big part of that too.  He needs to get going here.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1