The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As much as I like Brock, 7.5 mil for a complementary piece is expensive. And its only his QO, he could very well ask for more upwards of 8+ mil. if Taylor Hall pretty much a complementary offensive player can command 8 mil, Brock's pedigree for goals could likely match that amount and exceed it.

I'm not as strong as I was in the stance of trading him last year now that he has improved his two way game, I don't think this team has enough depth yet to deal Brock, but I would explore that option to see what he is worth.

However there is something to be said in retaining your own players and how flip flopping too many pieces will create discontent. We already saw how much losing Tanev and Markstrom affected the room, losing a core piece like Brock would severely hurt team chemistry too. Hindsight, the the negotations that took place by Benning and his management group probably didn't do a great job on that final year, but things coul dbe worse like San Jose who have to QO Timo Meier at 10 mil.

Can you explain how he is a "complimentary piece"?  A top 5-10 scoring RW on you first line?  

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As much as I like Brock, 7.5 mil for a complementary piece is expensive. And its only his QO, he could very well ask for more upwards of 8+ mil. if Taylor Hall pretty much a complementary offensive player can command 8 mil, Brock's pedigree for goals could likely match that amount and exceed it.

First of all...I second @Dixon Ward's 'complimentary piece' :blink:

Second, he can also sign for less than the $7.5m if that's where his value is deemed.

Chances are though, with his progression this year and being a top 10, one shot scoring RW, he's likely to earn his $7.5m+ contract. You pay and keep those guys.

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's risky, but we might just not qualify him and hope he signs with us as a UFA.

Or they can agree on a contract before they have to qualify him.  He can sign an extension as of this summer.

Qualifying offers lapse within about 2 weeks but the team will continue to retain the player’s rights.  (This year qualifying offers are due by 26 July and will automatically lapse on 6 August.)  So unless the player signs that 1 year qualifying offer by that deadline, they’ll have no choice but to negotiate a contract.  The team can extend the deadline but not likely here.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Second, he can also sign for less than the $7.5m if that's where his value is deemed.

Chances are though, with his progression this year and being a top 10, one shot scoring RW, he's likely to earn his $7.5m+ contract. You pay and keep those guys.

I dont see Brock as the type of player who takes "less". I see him as a player whose gonna milk the most he can get, similarly like Matthews. I dont see him being a Mackinnon/Horvat  taking a team friendly deal 

13 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I dont see Brock as the type of player who takes "less". I see him as a player whose gonna milk the most he can get, similarly like Matthews. I dont see him being a Mackinnon/Horvat  taking a team friendly deal 

Ok....

Not sure how that addresses anything I posted. Nor do I have any idea where you're getting these 'insights' from. 

Well, I can think of one place actually :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Can you explain how he is a "complimentary piece"?  A top 5-10 scoring RW on you first line?  

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I mean by "complimentary piece" in that Brock isn't a play driver, but plays very well alongside those who do. He finishes off plays and provides good support, but doesn't necessarily drive the play on his own.

There is nothing wrong with him being that, sorta hoped he would regain that ability to drive play on his own like his rookie season, but with the emergence of Pettersson and Miller as the main play drivers, Brock takes a more back seat role until he is in the position to finish.

Yes you pay for goals, you pay for that finish, and you pay to keep those guys, I just think imo 7.5 mil as a QO is a bit steep that the previous conversation whether the Canucks would step away or look to deal that with the potential of the number going up in negotiations may be a tad too rich. I'm not knocking Brock or saying he is a bad player, just that perhaps his play may not fully reflect the salary QO.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I mean by "complimentary piece" in that Brock isn't a play driver, but plays very well alongside those who do. He finishes off plays and provides good support, but doesn't necessarily drive the play on his own.

There is nothing wrong with him being that, sorta hoped he would regain that ability to drive play on his own like his rookie season, but with the emergence of Pettersson and Miller as the main play drivers, Brock takes a more back seat role until he is in the position to finish.

Yes you pay for goals, you pay for that finish, and you pay to keep those guys, I just think imo 7.5 mil as a QO is a bit steep that the previous conversation whether the Canucks would step away or look to deal that with the potential of the number going up in negotiations may be a tad too rich. I'm knocking Brock or saying he is a bad player, just that perhaps his play may not fully reflect the salary QO.

I think your assessment of his supposed inability to 'drive play' is off (and he showed that again this year IMO). But even ignoring that, how much do you think a top 10, one shot scoring winger (who you'd be buying UFA years for) is worth, based on league comparables?

And again, it's just a qualifying offer. It's not some guarantee of money, especially not for term. At 'worst' we 'have' to pay him that for one season. And that's basically only if negotiations completely break down. If his play dictates that based on comparables, he's only worth something like a 5x$6.5 contract... That's what he'll get paid. People are freaking out over such a mole hill.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think your assessment of his supposed inability to 'drive play' is off (and he showed that again this year IMO). But even ignoring that, how much do you think a top 10, one shot scoring winger (who you'd be buying UFA years for) is worth, based on league comparables?

And again, it's just a qualifying offer. It's not some guarantee of money, especially not for term. At 'worst' we 'have' to pay him that for one season. And that's basically only if negotiations completely break down. If his play dictates that based on comparables, he's only worth something like a 5x$6.5 contract... That's what he'll get paid. People are freaking out over such a mole hill.

I'd be happy to pay Boes that,

but isn't his QO around $7.25?

$8.25?

Edited by lmm

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not some guarantee of dollars and term that some here seem to think it is.

ah, you have descended into the old aGENT vagueness

why can't you just answer questions rather than keep this going with unhelpful one liners?

if you have more intel than me, why not put it forth rather than this coy bushbeating?

40 minutes ago, lmm said:

ah, you have descended into the old aGENT vagueness

why can't you just answer questions rather than keep this going with unhelpful one liners?

if you have more intel than me, why not put it forth rather than this coy bushbeating?

I asked the question as it pertained to the conversation happening in the thread. Why don't you trying reading it and answering that question as it pertains to the conversation.

I'm not the one bringing the vague one liners mister salary +10%.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I asked the question as it pertained to the conversation happening in the thread. Why don't you trying reading it and answering that question as it pertains to the conversation.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Not what I'm referring to. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Not some guarantee of dollars and term that some here seem to think it is.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

oh yes, you are

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I find CDC thread arguments amusing. Perhaps it’s because I’m a dad to twin boys. I know how I’d settle these kinds of disputes at home, but I suspect most CDCers wouldn’t enjoy my parenting methods. :lol:

:lol:

It's not even an 'argument'. He drops in, in the middle of a conversation, without reading it and does lmm things :lol: