The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

BB is 0.6 pts / game, JT is 1.07.  PIMS ( this for a play off role remember ) JT 23, BB 8. JT plays centre as well as wing, BB outright winger. There's some big differences between the two. IMHO BB is a shadow of his past accomplishment. He's still a good player but I'd think there are a substantial list of 11goal players to choose from

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

BB is 0.6 pts / game, JT is 1.07.  PIMS ( this for a play off role remember ) JT 23, BB 8. JT plays centre as well as wing, BB outright winger. There's some big differences between the two. IMHO BB is a shadow of his past accomplishment. He's still a good player but I'd think there are a substantial list of 11goal players to choose from

He's still not quite up to snuff (his old standard), but it's worth noting that since Boudreau took over, in 15 games, Boeser has 7 goals and 5 assists for 12 points for 0.8 points per game.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

There has been an odd change of messaging lately from Rutherford and now hearing it from Smyl.

It is giving a hint to their first moves.   They have gone from talking about hockey trades and holes in the lineup to “we need to make some cap space”.

Something between the lines is telling me that a guy like Boeser is going to be an early domino to fall in a trade where we get mostly futures back.  That might grease some wheels to be able to take money back in a bigger Miller deal.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:04 AM, aGENT said:

Need to extend him to extract meaningfully trade value IMO.

If we move him, to a team he has no connection with, he likely takes his QO (that's arguably higher than what he's earned) and goes UFA soon after. No team is going to give up much for those magic beans.

Now an extended Boeser on a $6.5-$7m x 6 deal... That's worth something (possibly even keeping :lol: ).

Can the team extend Boeser to a contract extension? What happens to his QO then? 

On 1/28/2022 at 8:31 AM, BCNate said:

I think when you look at the comparables, Boeser falls into the 6-6-5 range on a long term deal.  

Sure , he can take a 1 year QO at 7.5 and then test the market, but I'd doubt he'd sniff 7.5+ on a long term deal as a UFA.  He is a good winger, but not a star by any stretch.

I'm sure there are lots of conversations with his agent going on right now, but if he is looking at 7.5 on a long term deal, he is as good as gone.

Do you think current management wants Boeser even at 6-6.5M on a long term deal? 

They don’t really have a lot of time to work out a contract extension with him do they? If they don’t trade him before March, then what happens? Is the team forced to give him his QO of 7.5M for one year and then allowing him to walk to UFA? 

Edited by N4ZZY

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Do you think current management wants Boeser even at 6-6.5M on a long term deal? 

They don’t really have a lot of time to work out a contract extension with him do they? If they don’t trade him before March, then what happens? Is the team forced to give him his QO of 7.5M for one year and then allowing him to walk to UFA? 

Boeser isn’t consistent enough for me. Pump up his stats if that is possible and then move him by the TDL. 

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Can the team extend Boeser to a contract extension? What happens to his QO then? 

Nothing. It's just a potential means of retaining his rights. If he agrees to a different amount and term, that's his contract. We don't HAVE to pay him his qualifying offer amount.

I wish people would learn how QO's actually work before making spurious claims and hence declaring Boeser as trade fodder.

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the one outcome that would surprise me would be if we sign him long term at or above his QO this offseason.  

I expect that he will play next year on his QO.  At that stage, he would be a rental at the deadline. He just isn't worth 7.5 on a long deal,  so the QO is kinda moot point,  I'm not even sure I'd pay 6 for what he brings.

It makes way more sense to deal Boeser than it does to trade MIller.  

Edited by BCNate

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think the one outcome that would surprise me would be if we sign him long term at or above his QO this offseason.  

I expect that he will play next year on his QO.  At that stage, he would be a rental at the deadline. He just isn't worth 7.5 on a long deal,  so the QO is kinda moot point,  I'm not even sure I'd pay 6 for what he brings.

It makes way more sense to deal Boeser than it does to trade MIller.  

Well, Boeser will certainly be dealt, I think, unless the team and him can come to some sort of agreement for taking 6-6.5M range on a long term deal. I’m not sure if any other team in the league would give him 7.5M on a long term deal. So if he doesn’t feel or his agent doesn’t think he can get that from other teams around the league, why not just settle for 6M over 5-6 years. That’s pretty good money still, and he has security. 

Biggest problem with Boeser is the lack of separation speed. Defenders would stay close to him and check his stick before he releases his shot. Often times his shots would be deflected away or blocked. 

Perhaps Boeser is a better fit for a team that plays a physical downlow style such as the Islanders. I don't think his game is a perfect fit for a fast transition style. 

On 2/1/2022 at 9:08 AM, aGENT said:

Nothing. It's just a potential means of retaining his rights. If he agrees to a different amount and term, that's his contract. We don't HAVE to pay him his qualifying offer amount.

I wish people would learn how QO's actually work before making spurious claims and hence declaring Boeser as trade fodder.

I wouldn't keep Boeser at 6 mill either. I'd rather get a lateral piece that is better at driving play, is an above average skater and can play a better defensive game.

The only elite aspect of his game was his shot and he lost that too. It's not just the QO.

9 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I wouldn't keep Boeser at 6 mill either. I'd rather get a lateral piece that is better at driving play, is an above average skater and can play a better defensive game.

The only elite aspect of his game was his shot and he lost that too. It's not just the QO.

And that's fine. I just get tired of reading all the chicken little nonsense about his QO. I'm not opposed to moving him.

Right now he doesn't likely have a lot of trade value though. We're probably better off re-signing him (to a reasonable deal), hoping he recovers value next year, and then moving him for the younger, faster, meaner etc guy then.

And I'll remind people, he was arguably our best forward last year. Might be a blessing in disguise that he's having an off year in a contract year.

• Cheers 1

I do not expect Boeser to remain a Canuck by the March trade deadline unless an extension has been reached by the deadline. 

He is not worth $7.5M per season right now but I would offer $7.5m x 8 years betting that he would eventually justify the annual cap rate. 

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Sure they can sign him any time as long as they meet the criteria for his QO and of course Brock agrees to the contract. 

The QO has no impact on a contract.  That QO is simply to retain his rights and he will have about a 2 week window where he can sign it instead of negotiating a contract.  He can also just ignore it and continue to negotiate a deal.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

The QO has no impact on a contract.  That QO is simply to retain his rights and he will have about a 2 week window where he can sign it instead of negotiating a contract.  He can also just ignore it and continue to negotiate a deal.  

Thanks for clarifying I was under the impression that he can be re signed for 7.5 for 1 year or inorder to bring that number down more years must be added however the 1st year salary number must still match the QO number and you can only back dive it by whatever the max allowable % is. 

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Thanks for clarifying I was under the impression that he can be re signed for 7.5 for 1 year or inorder to bring that number down more years must be added however the 1st year salary number must still match the QO number and you can only back dive it by whatever the max allowable % is. 

The 1st year on a new contract is completely independent from his QO.  He could even agree to a 1 year deal at 1M if he wishes.  The QO is really only to retain his rights but he has that window where he can just sign it rather than negotiate a deal - Laine signed his last season for example.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, mll said:

Good luck. I've been banging that drum for like a year lol.

5x5.5m seems about right for Brock it's about what he's worth in a flat cap world and there's meat on the bone for for him to turn it into a good contract one day maybe. I walk away from the table at anyting north of 6.5m and I think I'd only be willing to do it on a 3 year deal incase he never gets over that 30 goal hump.