The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In order to get something good, you have to give up something good

Pete M

The Hamilton trade was very good for Calgary and very bad for Vancouver. However, look the long game at how much Hamilton will need in a raise, how much will Giordano need? Bennett? and some of their other young stars. Calgary will have to be wary of the cap in a few years as well. That being said, that was a good trade for Calgary and it hurts to see a division rival get even better with a core piece added for really nothing.

Do people really think that Hamilton is in the league of Duncan Keith, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Brent Seabrook, even PK Subban? Seriously maybe he will get there but for right now we are overrating him. If Boston was so high on him they could have made other moves and paid him the 7 mill he wanted.

Didn't Calgary just show us how you DONT have to give up assets to get something really good...? That all you need for a potential franchise d-man is a few picks?

I'm officially confused now by this thread. On one hand it has been stated/argued for the value of picks. Calgary gave up a mid first and 2 seconds, and you're basically stating now that those picks were worth very little? Then on the other hand the counter-argument is that we'd have to give up one of our top 2 defencemen just to have a sniff at just that 1st pick?

The angst...

...other teams are getting better and the Canucks are getting older, if the roster doesn't change;

The draft picks will not be realized until later down the road (unless you're Mcdavid or Eichel).

I think the situation is the Canucks have a square peg and the only place to put it is in the circle...the best thing to do is wait for the square hole to show so that everything fits.

Patience is a virtue and may be the obvious thing to do is let it ride. Redundant assets may have to go, and JB needs to get something for them, and the core needs to play out their contracts.

JB needs to hold on to the picks and acquire more for next year draft (if it is a deep draft) and if this is the course to take...stay the course

As a diehard Canuck fan, I might have to be reserved to accept this coming season will be painful to watch,

The other part of the angst is the questionable acquisitions (Miller) and not pulling the trigger on trades when the trade should be made knowing the asset will walk for nothing if the trade is not made.

I'm hoping Miller will play like a $6 million dollar goalie...knowing Lack or Markstrom will be gone and that the Miller cap hit is stopping us from getting the asset that we truly need...a top 2 defenceman.

So by doing nothing, Canucks may be getting something; but we have to be patient.

Right now, I don't trust JB.

The Hamilton trade was very good for Calgary and very bad for Vancouver. However, look the long game at how much Hamilton will need in a raise, how much will Giordano need? Bennett? and some of their other young stars. Calgary will have to be wary of the cap in a few years as well. That being said, that was a good trade for Calgary and it hurts to see a division rival get even better with a core piece added for really nothing.

Yah, look at Calgary with all those good players that will be worth tons of money in a few years. What a bunch of bums, right?

Yah, look at Calgary with all those good players that will be worth tons of money in a few years. What a bunch of bums, right?

I would just like to let everyone know that when I do my award winning and often requested, "Cue Bass Solo", it is in no way a request for a post from the member with the flattering but odd tribute of a moniker.

Archived